Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton

vCash
    Bump double post
    Last edited by Soxfan85; 12-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
    If we sign Hamilton, will you root for him.
    Obviously.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
    To put butts in seats Larry needs to ink Hamilton bc remember this is still a business
    This is rubbish. The seats will be plenty full. We'd have to see 4-5 years in a row of sub .500 teams to cause a ripple in the seat sales, or even in the TV ad money.

People here want to see wins first and fall in love with "characters" and "personalities" 2nd. Nobody would think Millar was cute if they didn't win while he was there. Yaz, Rice, Boggs, Lynn, Clemens, Nomar, and many others have come and gone, and the team still draws like crazy vs the capacity.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    More on Hamilton. One of the easier to understand "sabr" stats is "runs created". Basically that's RBI/Runs isolated from the team/adjusted for park/I.E. everybody has the same setting to produce in. MLB wide 2010-2012, this is how Hamilton ranked.

2010 - 5th
    2011 - 44th (under Napoli, Castro, and VMart)
    2012 - 11th (less then Beltre)

Remember he's in decline on his fielding, and goodness knows what shape his body is in after being ravaged by all those addictions.

Sorry, but with two more big name FA's, nobody would be thinking of paying this guy ~$20-25M a year. Stay away BC, fool's gold.

vCash
    We're not in on Hamilton period. Just like NY was out on Texeira.

Johny Gomes is nothing more than a platoon, or 'deep depth' as Lucchino said last week. I still think we have a partial hole in left field and Sox management have a massive 3-4 year offer on the table that only Ben, Larry and Josh know about.

The cat's not getting out of the bag on this blockbuster. (Watch him sign in Seattle tomorrow, lol)
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - World Ranking: #5

Montreal's Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard

Go Genie Go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    More on Hamilton. One of the easier to understand "sabr" stats is "runs created". Basically that's RBI/Runs isolated from the team/adjusted for park/I.E. everybody has the same setting to produce in. MLB wide 2010-2012, this is how Hamilton ranked.

2010 - 5th

Remember he's in decline on his fielding, and goodness knows what shape his body is in after being ravaged by all those addictions.

Sorry, but with two more big name FA's, nobody would be thinking of paying this guy ~$20-25M a year. Stay away BC, fool's gold.

Using just runs created is sort of flawed as it doesn't account for injuries, hence could the reason for the dramatic drop be that he played in 12 fewer games in 2011 compared to 2010.

I would prefer to see sabr stats such as these compared in 3-5 years periods in comparison to other players rather then a year to year,

This lineup hasn't been the same since Manny went fruit loops a few years ago and Hamilton fills that void very easily.

vCash

2010 - 5th

Sorry, but with two more big name FA's, nobody would be thinking of paying this guy ~$20-25M a year. Stay away BC, fool's gold.[/QUOTE]

4 yrs imo would be a very good deal.

he's not a spring chicken but 31 yrs old isn't ancient at the same time.

His fielding is declining however, LF at fenway helps that out and the fact he can DH years #3 and #4 helps that out also.

I just dont understand 4 yrs for hamilton isn't a great idea, but 3 for victorino makes sense. Hamilton is built around his hitting ability while victorino's biggest weapon is his legs...legs usually go b4 the hitting.

vCash
    Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen, in an interview on WEEI's Red Sox Hot Stove Show, said that the team continues to talk to free agent outfielder Josh Hamilton. He declined to go into specifics about the nature of the conversations, but suggested that the team will remain in dialogue with the slugger, as it will with other free agents while determining what it will take to sign them.

Asked whether he could envision a deal that was relatively short on years with a high average annual value for the outfielder, Hazen responded, "I can’t talk about anything specifically as it relates to free agency. I think some of the things that have already been reported should in some cases give a fairly clear message as to which direction we’re moving.

"We’re staying engaged with Josh and all the other free agents, and we’ll see where it goes. You don’t know how these markets are going to develop. Sometimes you have a clear understanding of what they’re looking for and sometimes you don’t. We just stay engaged in all of those things, and as the market moves and it presents itself, you have a choice. You have your choice to get in or get out.

"We believe heavily, strongly, that that wave of players that’s coming up over the next two or three years, starting next year and moving into the next two and three years is the core of this team moving forward. We want to add impact talent any way we can, because 2013 is as important as any year. Like Ben said, he’s said it many times, we want to be a little bit more disciplined and intelligent about how we’re executing on that strategy, making sure we’re not sacrificing on either the short- or the long-term."

https://twitter.com/alexspeier
    Last edited by EEasyA; 12-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine Big Dawg View Post
    Using just runs created is sort of flawed as it doesn't account for injuries, hence could the reason for the dramatic drop be that he played in 12 fewer games in 2011 compared to 2010.
    True, but I thought all the big Hamilton fans would be up on all the nuances of his career.

This lineup hasn't been the same since Manny went fruit loops a few years ago and Hamilton fills that void very easily.
    As long as he doesn't go fruit loops with the various substances that have derailed him previously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    I just dont understand 4 yrs for hamilton isn't a great idea, but 3 for victorino makes sense. Hamilton is built around his hitting ability while victorino's biggest weapon is his legs...legs usually go b4 the hitting.
    For one thing Victorino can run and play CF and RF, and replace Ellsbury if we deal him, or he just leaves. For another Victorino has outhit his current contract over the last 6 years or 3 years - with ease.

I guess you guys would have to have had a monkey on your back to understand the odds and difficulty facing addicts. I know of two folks here that do.

vCash
    4 yrs imo would be a very good deal.

he's not a spring chicken but 31 yrs old isn't ancient at the same time.

His fielding is declining however, LF at fenway helps that out and the fact he can DH years #3 and #4 helps that out also.

So Cherington inks Hamilton to 3-4 years -- that what, at that point, would the team's strategy be?

I get this is in fact a business -- and that tanking for 3 years might be suicidal in a big-market like BOS -- but signing JH just makes this team's 'vision' even more muddy IMO. With Hamilton, what would they be doing besides trying to fill seats?

This team needs pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    So Cherington inks Hamilton to 3-4 years -- that what, at that point, would the team's strategy be?
    I would have traded BOTH lester/clay (clay a little later on). I would also be trading ells before the deadline..

However, The red sox won't be sellers, so if they arn't selling..might as well hope they do all they can this offseason to make it interesting.

I get this is in fact a business -- and that tanking for 3 years might be suicidal in a big-market like BOS -- but signing JH just makes this team's 'vision' even more muddy IMO. With Hamilton, what would they be doing besides trying to fill seats?

This team needs pitching.

Either they sell off some of the guys for top specs or try and win. Doing both at the same time rarely works out.

Sign Hamilton for 4 yrs if you can, Sign Mccarthy/Howell or wilson.

Rotation: 1. Lester 2. Clay 3. Mccarthy 4. Webster 5. Dubront

Lineup: Ells, pedroia, Ortiz, Hamilton, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Gomes,Lavarnway, Iglesias

Pen (in no order)- Bard, Bailey, Howell/wilson/, Uhera, Tazawa

IMO thats a legit contender.

vCash
    I would have traded BOTH lester/clay (clay a little later on). I would also be trading ells before the deadline..

However, The red sox won't be sellers, so if they arn't selling..might as well hope they do all they can this offseason to make it interesting.

Either they sell off some of the guys for top specs or try and win. Doing both at the same time rarely works out.

Sign Hamilton for 4 yrs if you can, Sign Mccarthy/Howell or wilson.

Rotation: 1. Lester 2. Clay 3. Mccarthy 4. Webster 5. Dubront

Lineup: Ells, pedroia, Ortiz, Hamilton, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Gomes,Lavarnway, Iglesias

Pen (in no order)- Bard, Bailey, Howell/wilson/, Uhera, Tazawa

IMO thats a legit contender.
    that pitching doesn't make us a legit contendor at all...EVEN if Lester and Clay return to form...McCarthy is not a number 3 imo, Webster isn't ready and Doubrant would be in front of both of them. but still Doubey isn't ready for the number 3 role right now. so yeah that staff needs fixing before you could call that team a contendor..but anyway we aren't getting Hamilton so the point is moot.

vCash
    This is rubbish. The seats will be plenty full. We'd have to see 4-5 years in a row of sub .500 teams to cause a ripple in the seat sales, or even in the TV ad money.

People here want to see wins first and fall in love with "characters" and "personalities" 2nd. Nobody would think Millar was cute if they didn't win while he was there. Yaz, Rice, Boggs, Lynn, Clemens, Nomar, and many others have come and gone, and the team still draws like crazy vs the capacity.
    Do you remember the excitement before the 2011 season? Does names like Mike Napoli and Jonny Gomes fire up the base? I agree winning does solve everything but after our liquidation sale in August, it is Peddy and Papi, that is it. I truly believe Hamilton will become an instant success in Boston and I feel he could be a serviceable DH in the future. I do not see our pitching any better than last year so in order to compete we need to have a dangerous lineup.

vCash

2010 - 5th

That's still better than 99 percent of the MLB.
    "Those of you who think they know everything annoy those of us that do"

Proud to be PSD's Adam McQuaid and Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast