Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton

vCash
    BOSTON -- The Red Sox, according to a baseball source, remain in a holding pattern on Josh Hamilton, the free-agent outfielder who reportedly has designs on a long-term contract of at least six years.

He won’t get a deal of that length from the Red Sox, but Boston officials will remain in the mix for Hamilton as long as the possibility, however slim, exists that he could be had for a shorter deal.

Hamilton’s former team, the Texas Rangers, would still appear the most likely landing spot for Hamilton, whose chances of returning to Texas probably increased when the Rangers failed in their attempt to sign free-agent pitcher Zack Greinke, who became the highest-paid right-handed pitcher ever with a six-year, $147 million deal from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Rangers, however, have been connected to trade speculation involving Arizona outfielder Justin Upton, and appear committed to adding another starting pitcher. Hamilton reportedly has told the Rangers that he will give them a chance to match any offer he receives from another team before he signs, but so far, at least, Texas has not felt obligated to offer Hamilton the six years (or more) he is seeking.

The Red Sox went into the winter meetings with a strategy of offering Hamilton no more than a three-year deal, but perhaps with an average annual value commensurate with the highest-paid players in the game. Think $25 million per and up, and you get the idea.

But a baseball source said Monday night that he thought it “doubtful” that the Sox could sign Hamilton for fewer than four years.

The Seattle Mariners have been identified as a Hamilton suitor, but other teams could jump in if it becomes apparent he won’t get the long-term deal he wants. The Yankees and Phillies have both been suggested as teams that could get involved with the 2010 American League MVP.

Boston’s fallback plan if Hamilton can not be procured is unclear. GM Ben Cherington has said he would like to add another left-handed hitter at either first base or in the outfield, which suggests that switch-hitting Nick Swisher could be a potential option, since he plays both positions. Swisher also is seeking a long-term deal, which would be problematic for the Sox, who could explore the trade market for a cheaper alternative.

The longest of long shots is that the Red Sox take another run at Twins first baseman Joe Mauer, even though he has six years left on his deal, meaning the Sox would have to make an exception to their stated philosophy. Twins GM Terry Ryan said he would be open to listening to offers for three-time batting champion Mauer, who like the newly acquired Mike Napoli could split time between catcher and first base.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...medium=twitter

god no

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    The Red Sox went into the winter meetings with a strategy of offering Hamilton no more than a three-year deal, but perhaps with an average annual value commensurate with the highest-paid players in the game. Think $25 million per and up, and you get the idea.
    Nothing wrong with that jbay. A 3 year deal is a total win. Even if he bombs someone would trade for him hoping a change of scenery is all he needs. The odds of him being obtainable on a 3 year deal is almost nonexistent. Rangers would have to get Upton, Mariners would have to be not as desperate for a hitter as they seem.

All the noise about them being interested in getting another OF'er makes you wonder about Jacoby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Nothing wrong with that jbay. A 3 year deal is a total win. Even if he bombs someone would trade for him hoping a change of scenery is all he needs. The odds of him being obtainable on a 3 year deal is almost nonexistent. Rangers would have to get Upton, Mariners would have to be not as desperate for a hitter as they seem.
    Its not the problem man. Its the i want Hamilton fans vs the i don't. This is going to bring it back. I thought we were done but now its time for round 2. Here we go again. My opinion is I don't care if it happens ,great. if it doesn't, oh well/

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    Its not the problem man. Its the i want Hamilton fans vs the i don't. This is going to bring it back. I thought we were done but now its time for round 2. Here we go again. My opinion is I don't care if it happens ,great. if it doesn't, oh well/
    I don't think anyone would be against giving Hamilton 3 years, and the article said the Red Sox plan is to only offer 3 years. Next years free agent class looks weaker than this years when you remove Cano as a possibility, so it's not like we are blocking anybody by signing a short expensive deal. 4 years makes it a very iffy deal, more than that and it's bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Two grown men were talking, not three
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    That's priceless coming from someone who can't seem to spell. Why don't you glue yourself to a dictionary? Might do you some good.

"You'RE too glueD to A baseball reference ..."
    The "A" is actually incorrect, since he was referring to a specific website. Just sayin'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittz View Post
    The "A" is actually incorrect, since he was referring to a specific website. Just sayin'.
    Then maybe he should have given its proper name as "baseball-reference.com".

vCash
    I will reluctantly give Hamilton the 4th year just t seal the deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
    I will reluctantly give Hamilton the 4th year just t seal the deal.
    Yeah, I would be too. But, if it's $25- 27 mil for 4 years, I'd consider it. It makes you wonder if the Sox have a possible deal in place to trade Ellsbury. I mean they have Ellsbury, Victorino, Gomes, and Kalish. They usually they don't make a deal if something wasn't in the works.

The only way I see them trade Ells is for a pitcher or for a SS. Andrus maybe? I'd like to know if they do trade Ells for a SP which team is it with and for who?
    Last edited by wolf82; 12-11-2012 at 08:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    Yeah, I would be too. But, if it's $25- 27 mil for 4 years, I'd consider it. It makes you wonder if the Sox have a possible deal in place to trade Ellsbury. I mean they have Ellsbury, Victorino, Gomes, and Kalish. They usually they don't make a deal if something wasn't in the works.

The only way I see them trade Ells is for a pitcher or for a SS. Andrus maybe? I'd like to know if they do trade Ells for a SP which team is it with and for who?
    Singing Hamilton would lower what the Sox can get for Ellsbury - so either they have no real interest in Hamilton or they are shopping Ellsbury prior to dealing him.

Seemingly Andrus is out of reach. Ells on his own isn't going to bring even a good #4 SP IMO. He'd have to be packaged with Salty.

If they do sign Hamilton, then they need specs for Ells and Salty to help build up the 2015+ era Sox in the aftermath of the near collapse of the farm system in the 2008-2012 period and unwise FA signings.

If we don't get a real SS for '13, and the catchers are below average offensively.... along with platoonish nature of the line-up, on any given night, or at least in any given part of the game, this line-up could have 4 pretty much automatic outs. With the park to help us, say we are 5th in runs in the AL, unless we are also above #6 in the pitching numbers it's a mediocre team. This doesn't disturb me as long as I see progress for the 2105+ era.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-11-2012 at 09:04 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Singing Hamilton would lower what the Sox can get for Ellsbury - so either they have no real interest in Hamilton or they are shopping Ellsbury prior to dealing him.

Seemingly Andrus is out of reach. Ells on his own isn't going to bring even a good #4 SP IMO. He'd have to be packaged with Salty.

If they do sign Hamilton, then they need specs for Ells and Salty to help build up the 2015+ era Sox in the aftermath of the near collapse of the farm system in the 2008-2012 period and unwise FA signings.

If we don't get a real SS for '13, and the catchers are below average offensively.... along with platoonish nature of the line-up, on any given night, or at least in any given part of the game, this line-up could have 4 pretty much automatic outs. With the park to help us, say we are 5th in runs in the AL, unless we are also above #6 in the pitching numbers it's a mediocre team. This doesn't disturb me as long as I see progress for the 2105+ era.
    Thats why I said I wonder if the reason why they are still in the race for Hamilton is if there is a deal being put in place to trade Ells + Salty.

If they signed Drew and Hamilton, and traded Ells + Salty + Iglesias for a SP.

I think the sox can get a decent return for that package. Even Kalish could be packaged especially if Bradley jr is ready to go next year. Next years OF could be Bradley Jr, Hamilton, and Victorino.

I doubt the Sox will sign Hamilton. But, it does intrigue me why they are still going after him if the OF is set and not going after a SS and a SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf82 View Post
    Thats why I said I wonder if the reason why they are still in the race for Hamilton is if there is a deal being put in place to trade Ells + Salty.

If they signed Drew and Hamilton, and traded Ells + Salty + Iglesias for a SP.

I think the sox can get a decent return for that package. Even Kalish could be packaged especially if Bradley jr is ready to go next year. Next years OF could be Bradley Jr, Hamilton, and Victorino.

I doubt the Sox will sign Hamilton. But, it does intrigue me why they are still going after him if the OF is set and not going after a SS and a SP.
    Well, I don't trust media speculation about what the Sox are thinking or looking at.

I doubt a single team would pay decently for all 3 of these guys (Ells, Salty, Iglesias). So that means likely a 3 team deal, which is fine, just makes things more complex.

I sort of like the idea of Iglesias on the team - god forbid as a starter, but his glove is ++ at 2B/SS/3B, so he'd make a very good defensive replacement, and decent pinch runner. If he gets enough PA's due to injuries and wipe out games he's still getting enough to feel good about him developing his offense. If we did sign Drew, then if Iglesias or XB at SS blossoms for '14, Drew would make a good trade piece for a team looking for D help at SS. If not, then perhaps XB's heavy glove and legs might still be used at SS for mid '14 and beyond and we'd still have Iglesias to deal (with more of a track record, but still good years of control), or keep around as UTIL.

This is the sort of cheapie move BC could make which would help shore up a weak spot and not mess up the 2015+ years.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

I know some people have been through it but I really don't want to live through another 89 years without a WS...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty17 View Post
    I know some people have been through it but I really don't want to live through another 89 years without a WS...

But the point is, we are going to have to. You can't always have what you want when you want it, that's why businesses have plans that they execute to improve the bottom line, or market penetration - or whatever the goal is. It would be inefficient for the Sox to hunt seriously for a WS title in 2013. If we had a $350M budget, we'd probably have a shot, but that isn't going to happen. So you look at what you have, look at where you want to go, and make a plan and execute it.

Watch LAD this year, highest budget team (at the moment), but the make-up of the team outside of the SP's seems odd. They gutted a good amount of the farm as well lately. This is the sort of team the Yanks had in 1979-1995 and 2001-2009 inclusive. Huge budgets, way too many free agents, not enough home grown talent - and zero WS titles.

I do not wish that fate upon my team.

vCash
    oh i agree. I think the Dodgers are making more of a mistake than we are trying to get ourselves out of. I know where you're coming from, I was just joking on your typo haha

vCash
    I think the Greinke deal is going to be fine for them. So will Kemp's if he stays healthy. Crawford and Ethier are overpayed, but they still produce. AGon should start to earn his contract again. They might have trouble re-signing Kershaw though. I could see the Sox giving Kershaw something like 7 years/$200M when he is a free agent in 2014.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast