Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 258

Thread: Josh Hamilton

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,995
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
    Do you remember the excitement before the 2011 season? Does names like Mike Napoli and Jonny Gomes fire up the base? I agree winning does solve everything but after our liquidation sale in August, it is Peddy and Papi, that is it. I truly believe Hamilton will become an instant success in Boston and I feel he could be a serviceable DH in the future. I do not see our pitching any better than last year so in order to compete we need to have a dangerous lineup.
    But you're talking marketing, ticket sales, merchandise and TV ratings -- generating demand, not winning titles.

    Retrospectively, I think fans are beginning to come around to the fundamental reality: that much of the hype around this team over the past 2-3 years has due to a miscalculation of how stable, consistent and reliable its core is (most notably the pitchers). Why, for example, anyone -- including myself -- considered Buchholz money in the bank is beyond comprehension in hindsight. Actually translating raw talent into consistent performance is perhaps what defines the elite, cornerstone players from the rest (something Red Sox fans have vastly underrated IMO: just because CB has the best 'stuff' on the staff doesn't really mean anything if we're wondering each off-season what he'll do each proceeding year).

    The BRS can't keep signing/acquiring ancillary pieces to compliment the same players IMO.... They need a new core.... This was addressed last July with the big trade; but if they added Hamilton, how can you build around someone for just 3 years? Strategically, that's perhaps one disadvantage of short-term, big-money deals: little long-term stability.

    Here's why the Lester for Wil Myers deal intrigues me (forget the players, just think of the concept): a HUGE prospect might stave off the desire to go for broke the next 2 seasons and buy some patience amongst the fans. I guess it might be SLIGHTLY comparable to an NFL team adding a top QB and rebuilding for a year or two).
    Last edited by elements1985; 12-07-2012 at 02:42 AM.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts.
    Posts
    1,993
    vCash
    1500
    http://audio.weei.com/a/67752965/mik...sistant-gm.htm

    Mike Hazen talks about their offseason Moves.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
    Do you remember the excitement before the 2011 season? Does names like Mike Napoli and Jonny Gomes fire up the base? I agree winning does solve everything but after our liquidation sale in August, it is Peddy and Papi, that is it. I truly believe Hamilton will become an instant success in Boston and I feel he could be a serviceable DH in the future. I do not see our pitching any better than last year so in order to compete we need to have a dangerous lineup.
    Even with Hamilton added and the same staff it's not a serious contender.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by athlete9393 View Post
    That's still better than 99 percent of the MLB.
    sure and he's asking for 99.7% in terms of money. no bargain + known risks.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,666
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by elements1985 View Post
    But you're talking marketing, ticket sales, merchandise and TV ratings -- generating demand, not winning titles.

    Retrospectively, I think fans are beginning to come around to the fundamental reality: that much of the hype around this team over the past 2-3 years has due to a miscalculation of how stable, consistent and reliable its core is (most notably the pitchers). Why, for example, anyone -- including myself -- considered Buchholz money in the bank is beyond comprehension in hindsight. Actually translating raw talent into consistent performance is perhaps what defines the elite, cornerstone players from the rest (something Red Sox fans have vastly underrated IMO: just because CB has the best 'stuff' on the staff doesn't really mean anything if we're wondering each off-season what he'll do each proceeding year).

    The BRS can't keep signing/acquiring ancillary pieces to compliment the same players IMO.... They need a new core.... This was addressed last July with the big trade; but if they added Hamilton, how can you build around someone for just 3 years? Strategically, that's perhaps one disadvantage of short-term, big-money deals: little long-term stability.

    Here's why the Lester for Wil Myers deal intrigues me (forget the players, just think of the concept): a HUGE prospect might stave off the desire to go for broke the next 2 seasons and buy some patience amongst the fans. I guess it might be SLIGHTLY comparable to an NFL team adding a top QB and rebuilding for a year or two).
    Great post!

    I put in bold a few parts I especially enjoyed/agreed with. I'm a huge fan of Clay, he's been my favorite Sox pitcher for the entire time he's been up, but even I can see that I was very unrealistic about my expectations of him year in and year out.

    As far as the Lester/Myers trade goes, I am with you, I think that's a great point that acquiring Myers would force the Sox to be more conservative with one of their OF spots. They won't want to block that kid and once he comes up he'll be cheap while possibly being a big contributor. The only thing that keeps coming up in my mind against the trade is, that puts us 2 very good pitchers away from contending. If Barnes is one, you'll still need another one. I think you need 3 good to very good pitchers to win a championship.
    Last edited by mooz; 12-07-2012 at 08:45 AM.

    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,874
    vCash
    1500
    Yankees have "Checked in on Hamilton"
    Source: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/12/...rsuing-slugger

    I don't see him going there unless they trade CG and stay under $189 Luxury tax. Sox still keeping "dialogue" with him even with Sox signing two outfielders the sox still have a spot left

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    even with Sox signing two outfielders the sox still have a spot left
    Not really, only if Ells is dealt.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Not really, only if Ells is dealt.
    This is the quote the writer wrote

    The Red Sox have already signed on two outfielders in the last few weeks, bringing on Jonny Gomes on a two-year deal and Shane Victorino on a three-year agreement, but the club still has a corner outfield spot to fill and money with which to play.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,275
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    This is the quote the writer wrote

    The Red Sox have already signed on two outfielders in the last few weeks, bringing on Jonny Gomes on a two-year deal and Shane Victorino on a three-year agreement, but the club still has a corner outfield spot to fill and money with which to play.
    Again, that only works with the assumption that Ellsbury is dealt. The question is are the BRS talking about this in front of someone (doubtful unless it's "Mouth Luchhino"), or the writer is making the assumption many are that Ells is gone.

    If Hamilton is signed here, than there is no doubt at all with Ells's fat price tag he will get this year, we will deal him away before ST. We can't deal either of the new guys in that time frame.

    Signing Hamilton before dealing Ellsbury would weaken Ellsbury's price by IMO a good amount, so he goes first.

    The chances we sign Hamilton unless its for some cut rate 3/65 deal is still very small IMO.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    447
    vCash
    1500
    In order to bring both sides together what would Hamilton's cost to us be? 3/66, 4/80? I'll just assume no one here is thinking more or less in years.

    This is sort of like the Beltre & Martinez arguements, a case can be made either way but sooner or later a price gets narrowed down to where both sides can take it or leave it. Then again I think Beltre's magic number was 4/48 and he got 6/98, or something like that.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MG956 View Post
    In order to bring both sides together what would Hamilton's cost to us be? 3/66, 4/80? I'll just assume no one here is thinking more or less in years.

    This is sort of like the Beltre & Martinez arguements, a case can be made either way but sooner or later a price gets narrowed down to where both sides can take it or leave it. Then again I think Beltre's magic number was 4/48 and he got 6/98, or something like that.
    4 yrs 80M sounds right IMO. I wouldn't go any higher in years just money IMO

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,666
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Source: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/12/...rsuing-slugger

    I don't see him going there unless they trade CG and stay under $189 Luxury tax. Sox still keeping "dialogue" with him even with Sox signing two outfielders the sox still have a spot left
    Aren't they already at around 200 mil?

    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,666
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    4 yrs 80M sounds right IMO. I wouldn't go any higher in years just money IMO
    I wonder what he'd take if he was offered 3 yr / 75 mil or 4 yr / 80 mil. Seems logical he would think he could make more than 5 mil if he hit FA after the 3rd year.

    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    586
    vCash
    1500
    I know a lot of you guys are on board with this guy, but I think we should stay away from him! He is such a high dollar liability, and Hamilton, Gomes, and Victorino are not gonna bring us a title! I gotta bad feeling about this dude.......If we do sign him (which I hope we dont) I really hope I'm wrong!

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla.SticKy View Post
    I know a lot of you guys are on board with this guy, but I think we should stay away from him! He is such a high dollar liability, and Hamilton, Gomes, and Victorino are not gonna bring us a title! I gotta bad feeling about this dude.......If we do sign him (which I hope we dont) I really hope I'm wrong!
    Some members on this forum say "we are not contending this year" is what I have to say to that. Every year we contend! We filled our empty holes and now we need to get a pitcher either FA which is becoming less likely now because ZG $$$ is going to bump the price for Anibal Sanchez. We were plagued with injuries last year. I said it before if the starting pitchers can remain healthy and bounce back that includes Lackey then yes we have a shot. Every year we have a shot don't listen oh we will be contending in 2015-2020. Fans are not going to wait that long. Again this is how I feel and I feel we have a chance.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •