Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windycityD View Post
    Consider my hand up to promote Baez in late July and play him everyday at 3b. Yes, I'm aware of his age. See Starlin Castro, and quite possibly, us not competing again in 2014.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Corey Patterson says hi.
    Bad comp...if that's where you were headed.

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Corey Patterson says hi.
    The swing is the thing and Baez has that in spades, plus bat speed. Seriously, if we're not really competing in 2013 or 2014 AND Baez is tearing it up down below next spring-summer, truly, I don't care how young he is. Hate to break it to you, but we're essentially the Marlins right now. If you're going to go the youth route, you gotta play that youth at this level. Or maybe you'd like to see Inge at 3b in 2014?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Bad comp...if that's where you were headed.
    Simply reminding people of the last time we played the "Holy balls, this prospect is so amazing let's just keep promoting him no matter what he does!" card.

vCash
    Patterson was trending up in 2003 until he got hurt right before the All-Star Break. Could have contributed to something.

vCash
    The swing is the thing and Baez has that in spades, plus bat speed. Seriously, if we're not really competing in 2013 or 2014 AND Baez is tearing it up down below next spring-summer, truly, I don't care how young he is. Hate to break it to you, but we're essentially the Marlins right now. If you're going to go the youth route, you gotta play that youth at this level. Or maybe you'd like to see Inge at 3b in 2014?
    If Baez starts off like Patterson did pencil us a markedly improved team unless he has a knee injury that zaps his carrer.

vCash
    You don't play youth at this level if its not ready. Baez isn't going to be ready next season. I'm also not sure why the only two choices are Javy and Brandon Inge for 2014.

I also wouldn't point to Baez' swing mechanics as a reason why he'll be ready soon.

vCash
    Simply reminding people of the last time we played the "Holy balls, this prospect is so amazing let's just keep promoting him no matter what he does!" card.
    C-Patt put up some damn good numbers and was the scapegoat on a ****** Cubs team in 2005. I hope Baez can duplicate Patterson's first two years and then some.
    Last edited by ABE32; 12-13-2012 at 12:29 PM.

vCash
    The last time I felt like that was April/May of 2010, and he turned out fine.

vCash
    If Javier Baez is ready at the beginning of 2014 I will **** bricks.

vCash
    I agree that the beginning of 2014 is a very long shot. That said, I think a mid-late 2014 call up is very much in the cards if he hits the ground running in 2013.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukudome View Post
    Patterson was trending up in 2003 until he got hurt right before the All-Star Break. Could have contributed to something.
    I was at the game he got hurt at too. Sitting right along the first base line when he tore his ACL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I agree that the beginning of 2014 is a very long shot. That said, I think a mid-late 2014 call up is very much in the cards if he hits the ground running in 2013.
    Yup. That's about where I'm hovering. Though I don't get why Soler seems projected at around 2015/2016. I honestly think he could arrive sometime in 2014, just a gut feeling because of his apparent polish and tools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrionLannister View Post
    Yup. That's about where I'm hovering. Though I don't get why Soler seems projected at around 2015/2016. I honestly think he could arrive sometime in 2014, just a gut feeling because of his apparent polish and tools.
    Agreed. I've got Soler at end 2014-early 2015 right now. The Cubs are paying him hefty for a prospect, he's a little older, and are using a 40 man slot on him and that really boils down to the Cubs having a very good reason to push him aggressively. I wouldn't even be shocked if he can force his way to a mid-2014 ETA based on the above but I think late 2014-early 2015 is his best ETA right now.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    You don't play youth at this level if its not ready. Baez isn't going to be ready next season. I'm also not sure why the only two choices are Javy and Brandon Inge for 2014.

I also wouldn't point to Baez' swing mechanics as a reason why he'll be ready soon.
    Inge will be older and coming off of major surgery and will be cheap in 2014 for $500 Alex. Seriously, this front office would be all over that kind of budget signing (see Stewart) and it's pretty clear they are going to continue to kick the tires on players like this as they've done that plenty already. Not pulling this out of the ethos, it's way possible and way pointless imho.

I heard no less than 20 people on here say Castro was "not ready." Most talent evaluators actually rate Baez's bat potentially on par with Castro's, plus Baez has decent power potential and a better glove. If the kid tears *** through July in the minors, um, why not? Don't give me the service time argument when you consider we have NOTHING at 3b organizationally beyond him and we're not spending big money in FA to fill 3b anytime soon. We are the Marlins now going young(er), it's a legit comparison here.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast