Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I realize a lot of people are upset but in all honesty if you were in Theo or Jed's shoes what would you do differently? There really hasn't been a player available either last offseason or this one that we could give a big contract to and expect to get a good return with production.

Major props to rdwilliamson

vCash
    Respectfully disagree. There have been dozens of players the last two offseasons that could have significantly upgraded the Cubs.

vCash
    I don't know why, but I really like a rotation of Greinke/Garza/Samardzija/Baker/Feldman. Could use another one cus no chance all 5 stay healthy. In season trade for a bat if it all goes smoothly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KushCubs View Post
    I don't know why, but I really like a rotation of Greinke/Garza/Samardzija/Baker/Feldman. Could use another one cus no chance all 5 stay healthy. In season trade for a bat if it all goes smoothly.
    wood
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Yeah I somehow forgot about him. Not the biggest wood fan, but he'd be a nice 5th if we needed him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Respectfully disagree. There have been dozens of players the last two offseasons that could have significantly upgraded the Cubs.
    Sure, but we would have had to given out contracts that would have badly hampered our future and thus would have done more damage than good, that's more or less what I am trying to say. I mean lets say we would have given Pujols the contract the Angels did and say signed Greinke for the 8 year 160 million dollar contract he's likely going to get, your going to have roughly two players after this year on the wrong side of thirty making close to 50 million dollars into their late thirties to be, if we're lucky, league average players. I mean if we could get both for 4 to 6 year deals, i'd be all for it, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. I mean who do you have in mind specifically that you want?

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    Sure, but we would have had to given out contracts that would have badly hampered our future and thus would have done more damage than good, that's more or less what I am trying to say. I mean lets say we would have given Pujols the contract the Angels did and say signed Greinke for the 8 year 160 million dollar contract he's likely going to get, your going to have roughly two players after this year on the wrong side of thirty making close to 50 million dollars into their late thirties to be, if we're lucky, league average players. I mean if we could get both for 4 to 6 year deals, i'd be all for it, but unfortunately that's not going to happen. I mean who do you have in mind specifically that you want?
    Aramis ramirez
    Carlos Beltran
    Prince fielder
    Jason kubel
    Aaron hill
    Coco crisp
    Cespedes

All signed for reasonable deals( besides prince but his age is the factor here).
    We sign 3 of these guys last year and we wouldve had a pretty darn good offensive and something to build off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsrule View Post
    At that point, we'd have to take it to the Organizational Philosophy thread to continue this further.

vCash
    Kubel should not be on that list
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    And the cubs made a very strong offer on cespedes in a blind bidding process, cant really fault them in his specific case. Plus there was the unknown of just how well his game would translate when making that offer.

Ramierz wasnt intrested in returning

Crisp is pretty "meh"
    Last edited by CubRhetoric; 12-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubRhetoric View Post
    And the cubs made a very strong offer on cespedes in a blind bidding process, cant really fault them in his specific case. Plus there was the unknown of just how well his game would translate.

Ramierz wasnt intrested in returning for the rebuild.

Crisp is pretty "meh"
    Cespedes was not part of a blind bidding process that was Darvish.

The point is there have been players that could have been signed that would have helped improve the team. There are also trades that could have been made to improve the team. I'm sure the front office would agree they have made a few mistakes that has pushed bach their plan back a year or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorJimmy View Post
    Aramis ramirez
    Carlos Beltran
    Prince fielder
    Jason kubel
    Aaron hill
    Coco crisp
    Cespedes

All signed for reasonable deals( besides prince but his age is the factor here).
    We sign 3 of these guys last year and we wouldve had a pretty darn good offensive and something to build off.
    And then in a few years..."Why did we give these guys that kind of money? We shouldn't be handing out long-term contracts to declining players!"

Can't everyone just be patient for a little bit? This whining of, "We didn't sign anyone!" or "We should always be big players in the FA market" is short-sighted and narrow-minded. By building from within we can have sustained success with young players than a year or 2 of success with old players with bad contracts.

I don't want another 80 win team with a $150 million payroll. THAT'S bad business. Also, I thought we'd be done hearing about BB's season tickets but I was wrong. No he'll tell us how great he is for giving up his season tickets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Cespedes was not part of a blind bidding process that was Darvish.

The point is there have been players that could have been signed that would have helped improve the team. There are also trades that could have been made to improve the team. I'm sure the front office would agree they have made a few mistakes that has pushed bach their plan back a year or two.
    Ah yes, my mistake about the bidding. My point is that complaints regarding several players are based on hindsight. No one knew how cespedes would play for certain, crisp was not an obvious upgrade over byrd at the time, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorJimmy View Post
    Aramis ramirez
    Carlos Beltran
    Prince fielder
    Jason kubel
    Aaron hill
    Coco crisp
    Cespedes

Ramirez can't handle third base and his offense won't make up for it anymore. Beltran I'll give you, his deal was reasonable, Fielder absolutely not given the contract and the fact he's a future designated hitter. Kubel is the same as Fielder, Hill i'm not sure was ever going to leave Arizona, and we were in on both Cespedes and Crisp. We lost the bidding on Cespedes and Crisp got a much bigger contract than he should have, also consider the fact that with Crisp we had Byrd so we could not necassarily guarantee him playing time.
    Last edited by Cubsrule; 12-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.

vCash
    Ramirez had a good season with the bat last year. Certainly an upgrade over anyone else we put out there. I don't see any reason why he couldn't produce for another 2 years. Not sure where everyone got this idea that he was done

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast