Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    No reason to completely give up on Vitters (or Jackson for that matter) so that is a good point. This signing should open up some opportunity for Vitters since it is virtually certain that Stewart will suck or get hurt before June. Hopefully he gets a better opportunity then his last time up there.

Although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if both Vitters and Jackson are wearing different uniforms next year.
    It's not that I really love these guys, but I just can't see too many other teams who would value him higher. I think they both just need a team who can give them a full time job in the majors and let them grow (possibly after a month or so to get back on track in AAA if needed). The Cubs don't have anyone significant blocking either of them and apparently aren't going to try to compete next year, so it's a good situation. So I think I would rather the Cubs just roll the dice with them and give them the chance to show some improvement over the course of the year.

vCash
    I guess I don't see the payoff with Vitters. Yeah he's had the age argument on his side for a while but he has to produce at some point. I wont beat up on him too much for his major league performance but his recent track record in the minors doesn't inspire confidence in me. Id rather he play than Stewart but for I don't think its a good idea to just hand him the job either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    1 bad MLB stint doesn't really murder you as a prospect. Knocks you down, but not murdered. Remember, Rizzo was crap his first MLB stint.

You send him back to AAA and maybe he gets an idea. He hit well enough in AAA last year to where he's earned one look, if he can hit well again, he'll earn at least one more.
    Eh Rizzo had a far, far better pedigree than Vitters and was a better prospect. And even then Rizzo had a better go of it in the majors.

Vitters should get some chances with LHP this year, but I just don't see it. Then again I'm very anti-Vitters and have been since Day 1
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    No reason to completely give up on Vitters (or Jackson for that matter) so that is a good point. This signing should open up some opportunity for Vitters since it is virtually certain that Stewart will suck or get hurt before June. Hopefully he gets a better opportunity then his last time up there.

Although it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if both Vitters and Jackson are wearing different uniforms next year.
    Ugghhh I hope not. I'm okay with the team being bad, but I'm not okay with them wasting roster spots. And when Stewart fails if Vitters isn't in the fold whoever is playing 3b is going to be wasting a roster spot. Similar story with the OF, I really doubt Sori-Dejesus-Schierholtz is going to be our starting outfield come August 1st, and if the most intriguing OF we can plug in at that point is Sappelt I'm not gonna be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I guess I don't see the payoff with Vitters. Yeah he's had the age argument on his side for a while but he has to produce at some point. I wont beat up on him too much for his major league performance but his recent track record in the minors doesn't inspire confidence in me. Id rather he play than Stewart but for I don't think its a good idea to just hand him the job either
    You mean like hitting .304/.356/.513?

vCash
    He has produced. He posted an .869 OPS in AAA last year as one of the youngest players there. The year before wasn't great, but a .770 OPS as one of the youngest players in AA is still a solid accomplishment. The knock on him has nothing to do with lack of production, it's whether or not he can sustain a decent production with a horrible BB:K rate.

I think his rates are a lot less concerning than Jackson's though, for a couple of reasons. First, even if they don't improve, while they are a major barrier, they aren't critical (ex: Adam Jones). Second, it doesn't take drastic improvement. Bump the K rate down about 2% and the BB rate up about 2% from his projected rates for next year and things will be great. Those aren't unreasonable improvements to hope for.

vCash
    I think the horrorshow state of 3b around the league should show why Vitters still has some usefulness despite not being an elite ceilinged prospect.

vCash
    Here we go again with the Vitters conversation (version 9.0)...Honestly, I'm 100% with Jilly on this one. My biggest concern going into this season was: if we weren't going to get long term answers at 3rd and CF, at least give Josh and Brett an extended look. If we're gunna suck, I hope it's because we at least gave them regular, every-day playing time come May or June

And as it's been pointed out in every single Vitters conversation prior to this one, Josh tends to suck in his first and extremely young go-around a league. I (right or wrong) still have hope that he can be a low-end first division regular given how far 3B has fallen.

vCash
    Yeah "Fool me once." He isn't good, can't stay healthy and is a poor character guy. Not a lot of redeeming qualities.
    I've never heard that he was poor character? Can you elaborate? (if this question has been answered already in the thread ignore this post)
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Aren't Vitters numbers in AAA just a tad inflated due to it being in the pcl?

vCash
    Sure. And they are a tad deflated by being one of the youngest players there.

Either way, they point to the same thing his career's pointed to awhile now: A guy right on the borderline of being a useful starter or not.

vCash
    Aren't Vitters numbers in AAA just a tad inflated due to it being in the pcl?
    He plays half his games in the toughest park in the PCL. Iowa isn't a hitters park like the PCL is known for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I've never heard that he was poor character? Can you elaborate? (if this question has been answered already in the thread ignore this post)
    At one point Vitters admitted that he was basically on cruise control IIRC. Didn't understand the amount of work that was necessary to be a pro or something.

vCash
    Anyone else see this as the cubs securing the right to keep him if his try out in spring training goes well? Perhaps they just want first dibs to see what he looks like after they paid for his surgery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    At one point Vitters admitted that he was basically on cruise control IIRC. Didn't understand the amount of work that was necessary to be a pro or something.
    that question was with regard to Ian Stewart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Anyone else see this as the cubs securing the right to keep him if his try out in spring training goes well? Perhaps they just want first dibs to see what he looks like after they paid for his surgery.
    Wittenmeyer said that the team considers him the starting 3b going into spring and is looking for a backup infielder and nothing more in that area.

That's a bit more than just giving him a spring tryout.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast