Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 94

Thread: Jemile Weeks

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mschaf13 View Post
    i'm kind of intrigued by this utility play they traded for in the rule 5 speedster with ability to play middle infield and outfield. that's enough for me to start shopping Santiago and I have no clue how good or bad this guy will be. I just don't think theres anywhere for Ramon on this team he's spent his time here done what he can time to move on to a new utility guy maybe one with some sort of offensive upside like speed or power. Ramon is just a glove with inconsistent bat
    Don't let last year be the deciding factor on Santiago...as a utility INF and switch-hitter coming off of the bench, he, in my opinion, is about the best that there is...just a VERY bad year last year.

    That said, I would be fine giving the role to Worth...so much so, that I would be fine trading Peralta for whatever and giving the starting SS job to Worth with Santiago as the backup. Don't kill me for this opinion, I just truly TRULY cannot stand Peralta at SS...no matter what his upside is offensively (.256 career hitter).

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Cabreras lack of range has nothing to do with Peralta having none either.
    Excellent!

    Moreover, just because we have a very good 1B playing 3B, does not mean that we can give a free pass to a poor 3B trying to play SS...just because he might possess occassional POP in his bat.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    63,199
    vCash
    2000
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    How does this shake out?
    1.) acquire Drew for SS,
    2.) trade Peralta to A's for Jemile Weeks,

    Does that make Santiago, Worth, or Berry dispensable? At least one comes off of the squad, correct? I am guessing Santiago in another deal somewhere...
    Santiago is on the way out imo. I've seen him rumored to be dealt before.



  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    14,164
    vCash
    3000
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Santiago is on the way out imo. I've seen him rumored to be dealt before.
    I wonder if Pittsburgh is still interested. Maybe we could trade him for organizational depth and free up a spot on the 40 man.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,434
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sc8581 View Post
    Cabreras lack of range has nothing to do with Peralta having none either.
    Of course it does. The Tigers are asking a guy with average range to cover extra territory which is a problem. The point I'm trying to make is that outside of picking up a very rangy SS (which Drew is not) whoever plays there is going to look bad. I think Peralta is getting too much blame.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Of course it does. The Tigers are asking a guy with average range to cover extra territory which is a problem. The point I'm trying to make is that outside of picking up a very rangy SS (which Drew is not) whoever plays there is going to look bad. I think Peralta is getting too much blame.
    Respectfully, you are wrong here...regardless of who plays third base Peralta is not a SS. Peralta is sure handed on the balls he gets too...if I hear that any more I might puke. The man batted .239 last season...he is a lifetime .256 hitter...he is slow...he bats in the 7th slot in the lineup...Cleveland let him go because he could not play SS and did not want to play 3B (which he is best suited for but doesn't hit well enough to play there)...he is easily the weakest link on the field...give up the argument FOR Peralta. This guy is probably number 16 or 17 on a 25 man roster and so many Tigers fans want to keep this guy around or at a minimum stick up for him...I don't get it.

    You want to blame Cabrera because Peralta sucks? Unbelievable...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    391
    vCash
    1500
    Let's face some facts. Peralta is slow, yes. Can he catch and throw, yes. Is he a cheap cost effective player at a premium position, yes. Does he play almost everyday, yes. Has out shortstop position always been a question with this team, yes. Is there better on the open market for the value, no. Have we had a better shortstop in prior recent years, no. Do you believe in a balanced payroll obviously,no.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    264
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRulz66 View Post
    Let's face some facts. Peralta is slow, yes. Can he catch and throw, yes. Is he a cheap cost effective player at a premium position, yes. Does he play almost everyday, yes. Has out shortstop position always been a question with this team, yes. Is there better on the open market for the value, no. Have we had a better shortstop in prior recent years, no. Do you believe in a balanced payroll obviously,no.
    100% agree with you.. Jhonny will be are SS next season and some people on this post just need to get over it. There is nothing out there in FA and were just going to have to deal with him for 1 more year.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRulz66 View Post
    Let's face some facts. Peralta is slow, yes. Can he catch and throw, yes. Is he a cheap cost effective player at a premium position, yes. Does he play almost everyday, yes. Has out shortstop position always been a question with this team, yes. Is there better on the open market for the value, no. Have we had a better shortstop in prior recent years, no. Do you believe in a balanced payroll obviously,no.
    Balanced payroll has now come into the conversation...funny

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BrosB4Hos View Post
    100% agree with you.. Jhonny will be are SS next season and some people on this post just need to get over it. There is nothing out there in FA and were just going to have to deal with him for 1 more year.
    You are correct...Johnny will more than likely be the starting SS...and yes, I am truly having a difficult time with my coping mechanism for this. Just FYI, I am not interested in Drew either.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Respectfully, you are wrong here...regardless of who plays third base Peralta is not a SS. Peralta is sure handed on the balls he gets too...if I hear that any more I might puke. The man batted .239 last season...he is a lifetime .256 hitter...he is slow...he bats in the 7th slot in the lineup...Cleveland let him go because he could not play SS and did not want to play 3B (which he is best suited for but doesn't hit well enough to play there)...he is easily the weakest link on the field...give up the argument FOR Peralta. This guy is probably number 16 or 17 on a 25 man roster and so many Tigers fans want to keep this guy around or at a minimum stick up for him...I don't get it.

    You want to blame Cabrera because Peralta sucks? Unbelievable...
    Peralta is sure handed on the balls he gets to!!! haha Hope you had a bucket.

    I sure hope nobody blames Cabrera. Those who do, don't watch baseball/the Tigers.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrosB4Hos View Post
    100% agree with you.. Jhonny will be are SS next season and some people on this post just need to get over it. There is nothing out there in FA and were just going to have to deal with him for 1 more year.
    Could always make a trade, no? I would like to see an upgrade but not if we're going to overpay for someone who isn't named (Andrus/Lindor/Hamilton/maybe Castro). In the end, if Peralta is the SS it won't be the end of the world, he'll hit better and d will be the same. He is the weakest point but it's not an easy fix.
    Last edited by kokes; 12-07-2012 at 03:38 PM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,176
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerRulz66 View Post
    Let's face some facts. Peralta is slow, yes. Can he catch and throw, yes. Is he a cheap cost effective player at a premium position, yes. Does he play almost everyday, yes. Has out shortstop position always been a question with this team, yes. Is there better on the open market for the value, no. Have we had a better shortstop in prior recent years, no. Do you believe in a balanced payroll obviously,no.
    The one position on the infield that you cannot have a slow guy, SS

    Every player at MLB level can catch and throw.

    How is 9 highest in pay for SS of 29 teams (Colorado had 2 on this list last year) equate to "cheap cost effective player at premium position"???
    1 Derek Jeter - New York Yankees $ 15,729,364
    2 Jimmy Rollins - Philadelphia Phillies $ 11,000,000
    3 Jose Reyes - Miami Marlins $ 10,000,000
    4 Troy Tulowitzki - Colorado Rockies $ 8,250,000
    5 Stephen Drew - Arizona Diamondbacks $ 7,750,000
    6 J.J. Hardy - Baltimore Orioles $ 7,416,666
    7 Rafael Furcal - St. Louis Cardinals $ 6,500,000
    8 Marco Scutaro - Colorado Rockies $ 6,000,000
    9 Jason Bartlett - San Diego Padres $ 5,500,000
    9 Jhonny Peralta - Detroit Tigers $ 5,500,000

    Play almost every day? That has nothing to do with his effectiveness...Delmon Young played almost every day last season and none of you wanted him back either, bad argument.

    Peralta is the worst SS on the above list for the money other than Bartlett...worse is the fact that the Tigers could have obtained Scutaro last year if they wanted to...they did not and he beat them in the WS (and I am putting BEAT lightly).

    You did not ask me about payroll...had you...I would have told you that I would rather go with Worth than Peralta...less money, better defense, and will bat no worse than .200 which is similar to what Peralta gave us last season...but again, you did not ask me, you assummed.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    14,164
    vCash
    3000
    Peralta might not be great, but I'd absolutely take him over Worth

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,456
    vCash
    1500
    The fact that our worst everyday position player is making $6 million proves that DD doesn't have a clue what he's doing, luckily for him Illitch is willing to spend a ton of money. As for the Peralta/Worth argument, if we weren't paying Johnny $6 million we could use that money to fix our horrid bullpen, so I would much rather have Worth.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,434
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Respectfully, you are wrong here...regardless of who plays third base Peralta is not a SS. Peralta is sure handed on the balls he gets too...if I hear that any more I might puke. The man batted .239 last season...he is a lifetime .256 hitter...he is slow...he bats in the 7th slot in the lineup...Cleveland let him go because he could not play SS and did not want to play 3B (which he is best suited for but doesn't hit well enough to play there)...he is easily the weakest link on the field...give up the argument FOR Peralta. This guy is probably number 16 or 17 on a 25 man roster and so many Tigers fans want to keep this guy around or at a minimum stick up for him...I don't get it.

    You want to blame Cabrera because Peralta sucks? Unbelievable...

    First of all, I would love to replace Peralta with a SS with better range and more importantly a better bat (Andrus would be nice).

    But... Peralta isn't the crappy shortstop you make him out to be.

    For 2011-2012 with min 500 innings
    JP (2522 innings)
    RZR is .850 (1st)
    OOZ of 104 plays (13th)

    SDrew (1390 innings)
    RZR is .766 (42nd)
    OOZ of 77 plays (21st)

    Azdrubal Cabrera (2488 innings)
    RZR is .790 (30th)
    OOZ of 151 plays (5th)

    Revised Zone Rating is the proportion of balls hit into a fielder's zone that he successfully converted into an out.

    OOZ reflects the number of plays a fielder makes on balls that were hit outside of his "zone". A player's "zone", for purposes of the definition, is considered those parts of the field in which on average a fielder is able to convert half of his chances into outs.

    So JP is pretty good SS with average range. You can look down on "being sure handed on the balls he gets to" but its not a bad thing to actually make the outs your suppose to. And even when compared to Cabrera, JP doesn't make 47 more plays out of the zone but he actually made more plays in the zone.

    And don't you think Peralta has to cheat to his right to compensate for Miggy?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •