Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94

Thread: Jemile Weeks

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    I agree, it wouldn't effect his range but it would effect the appearance of his range.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    I won't take credit for being a Tiger fan my entire 37 year life although I'm sure I was in front of plenty of Tiger games on the TV as a baby and toddler. But I do remember 84' as an 8 yr old with Parrish as my favorite Tiger.

    I think the value of the "eye test" is limited and certainly more likely to be influence by bias in a fan. The fact is that we only see a small percentage of all the plays made by all the SS's during the year makes it pretty hard to assess something like range. While stats aren't perfect either, they are certainly more comprehensive and objective.

    Again, sign me up for a significant upgrade over JP. I'm 100% on board with that plan.
    We live in a technology driven society, YouTube, facebook, linkedin, Sportcenter, ESPN, FSD, internet, etc..sure the "eye test" is fallable...but in his entire career I would be shocked if Yanni made the top 10 on webgems more than once. Jackson consistently contributes to team wins with his defense...Avila makes tons of plays on the defensive side...should be the same with your SS, now Peralta did make two really good plays in the postseason this past season but commonplace brilliance was not the norm for his defense.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    So with all the technology, what percentage of SS plays do you think you see in a year? Webgems can be deceiving. Often a very good defender makes tough plays look easy and average SS can make routine plays look spectacular (I swear Jeter has made a career of this). And I still agree with you, get an elite SS and move Peralta. But I don't agree with getting an average SS to replace an average SS.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    So with all the technology, what percentage of SS plays do you think you see in a year? Webgems can be deceiving. Often a very good defender makes tough plays look easy and average SS can make routine plays look spectacular (I swear Jeter has made a career of this). And I still agree with you, get an elite SS and move Peralta. But I don't agree with getting an average SS to replace an average SS.
    Good question, not sure how many I see...I have seen at least two dozen games with Escobar from KC (I am a HUGE fan of his)...probably a dozen or so games of Brandon Crawford and Starlin Castro (my two favorite NL teams are the Cubbies and the Giants; I go to Wrigley every year and my dad and I went to SF 3 yrs ago for a couple of games against the Dodgers...I saw Maddox's final regular season win, #355). I watched MLB Tonight almost every night for the past three years and see all the highlights there...sportscenter every morning M-F at the gym...I guess I see quite a bit of the highlights. I love baseball, always have. After re-reading this, maybe I need to get a life...

    PS. No other SS on the planet makes the backhand flip to get the non-sliding Jeremy Giambi at the plate, and when DJ dove into the stands for the foul ball against the Red Sox...that was pansy-@$$ A-Roid's ball, but you knew he wouldn't dare go in the stands for it. I'll admit that Jeter's jump throw to 3B side is overblown for much of his career but don't crack on the greatest SS to ever don the pinstrips, the best postseason hitter in MLB history, the only Yankee to ever hit 3,000 with the Yankees, not to mention he is from Kalamazoo...don't do that.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    So you know highlights and web gems can be deceiving.
    Last edited by GasMan; 12-09-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Misspoke

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    So with all the technology, what percentage of SS plays do you think you see in a year? Webgems can be deceiving. Often a very good defender makes tough plays look easy and average SS can make routine plays look spectacular (I swear Jeter has made a career of this). And I still agree with you, get an elite SS and move Peralta. But I don't agree with getting an average SS to replace an average SS.
    I think that's a typo. Probably top 3 SS of all-time. Nothing average about him.

    In preschool, when teachers ask students who they want to be when they grow up, many say Superman. When Clark Kent was asked, he said Derek Jeter.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    Derek Jeter hasn't been a good defensive SS in a very long time. If he would have put team first, he would have moved to 3B for the superior defensive SS ARod.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Derek Jeter hasn't been a good defensive SS in a very long time. If he would have put team first, he would have moved to 3B for the superior defensive SS ARod.
    Your kidding right? You just said that Jeter doesn't put the team first AND that A-Roid is a superior defender AND that broken-down-hip-man should be the Yankees SS. You have been taking in too much of the gas man!
    Last edited by T $$$; 12-09-2012 at 08:43 AM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kokes View Post
    I think that's a typo. Probably top 3 SS of all-time. Nothing average about him.

    In preschool, when teachers ask students who they want to be when they grow up, many say Superman. When Clark Kent was asked, he said Derek Jeter.
    kokes...its official, GasMan is a fruitcake.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-zoo
    Posts
    1,160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    So you know highlights and web gems are deceiving.
    Every single one them, yes, yes I do...must be the superior defending A-Roid is to the right of all those SS making those highlight reels...
    Last edited by T $$$; 12-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Your kidding right? You just said that Jeter doesn't put the team first AND that A-Roid is a superior defender AND that broken-down-hip-man should be the Yankees SS. You have been taking in too much of the gas man!
    In 2004, when A-Rod joined the Yankees, he was the best SS offensively and defensively in baseball while Jeter was very good offensively and very average defensively. Despite this, ARod had to agree to move to 3B before they traded for him because Jeter didn't want to move. Now over the last 8 years ARod has broken down fairly significantly (roids?) and would have no business playing SS but then neither does Jeter who has continued to get worse defensively while continuing to refuse a defensive move.

    Is Jeter a classier guy than ARod? Absolutely, doesn't mean he isn't guilty of being selfish about staying at SS well after he should have moved.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    I will tell you what, you're right...Jhonny Peralta is good enough...you have convinced me! I don't know what I was thinking when I never see him on web gems knowing that all of those plays are deceiving...knowing that the reason most of those plays are able to be made is that the SS on web gems have a superior 3B standing to their right...I am such a fool. Thank you GasMan for setting me straight.

    HEY EVERYBODY, JHONNY PERALTA IS GOOD ENOUGH...WE ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES AGAIN BECAUSE WE EXTENDED YANNI FOR ANOTHER YEAR!

    I'm not sure why everything has to be so black and white. When looking at the guys who are starting MLB SS's, value is a spectrum not two camps (awesome/garbage) and Peralta is somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. Could the Tigers win the WS with JP? Absolutely. Would the likelihood improve if they got an above average SS? Absolutely.

    I think it's a pretty common sense that SOMETIMES impressive looking plays for an average or bad defender would be less impressive looking with a better defender who makes the play easier. I've never claimed that JP is an impressive defender and he certainly isn't flashy. He's league average. But that makes him an MLB SS.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Every single one them, yes, yes I do...must be the superior defending A-Roid is to the right of all those SS making those highlight reels...
    I agree I misspoke in that post. Web gems CAN BE deceiving. I'll fix the post.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,453
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    PS. No other SS on the planet makes the backhand flip to get the non-sliding Jeremy Giambi at the plate, and when DJ dove into the stands for the foul ball against the Red Sox...that was pansy-@$$ A-Roid's ball, but you knew he wouldn't dare go in the stands for it. I'll admit that Jeter's jump throw to 3B side is overblown for much of his career but don't crack on the greatest SS to ever don the pinstrips, the best postseason hitter in MLB history, the only Yankee to ever hit 3,000 with the Yankees, not to mention he is from Kalamazoo...don't do that.
    Great offensive SS, highly over-rated defender. He plays hard and is comes up big in big situations but his range is horrible and has been for years. Ask around in the Yankee forum if Jeter is a good defensive SS worthy of the GG's he's been given.

    He may be from KZoo but he he's 100% NYC. I'm surprised the Yankees caved on his contract, I would have been amazed if he even sniffed another team. And even if he had maintained his KZoo roots it wouldn't make him a better defender.
    Last edited by GasMan; 12-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    395
    vCash
    1500
    Hey, screw the Yankees. Go over to their site if you guys want to talk about their overpaid players. We have enough of our own to talk about.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •