Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    It's certainly not ideal, but the move would still improve the roster. An outfield of Bourn, Revere, and Mayberry/Brown is substantially better than Revere, Mayberry/Brown, and Ruf/Nix. They could even platoon Ruf with Revere if they wanted him on the active roster.

In response to PEM, there are enough teams looking for a CFer at any given point in time that they'll have to pay market value just to outbid one another.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackfredex View Post
    Definitely don't agree, the team has more pressing needs and Bourn isn't worth anywhere close to what he's going to make even if his price drops.

I get what you're trying to say, but I just don't see how having 3 lefty speedy outfielders that don't hit for power is good to start the season with.
    See; StL Cardinals-1982-1985. Speed (Coleman, McGee, Ozzie & Lonnie Smith), defense (Pendleton, Herr, Ozzie, McGee, Porter) and the occasional 3-run homer (Jack Clark).
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    To play devil's advocate, 2011 was the first year when Pat Gillick's handwriting wasn't all over the roster.
    Shut up, Ateam.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrag10 View Post
    horrific signing looking like a 80 win season lee will be moved in july howard contract will doom this club philly is in for a poor next 5 yrs amaro is toast
    At the risk of possibly running afoul of my own "can we be less dickish" edict, exactly what signing are you referring to?
    [

vCash
    It's certainly not ideal, but the move would still improve the roster. An outfield of Bourn, Revere, and Mayberry/Brown is substantially better than Revere, Mayberry/Brown, and Ruf/Nix. They could even platoon Ruf with Revere if they wanted him on the active roster.

In response to PEM, there are enough teams looking for a CFer at any given point in time that they'll have to pay market value just to outbid one another.
    i get it, i guess overall it just doesn't make sense to me. you're adding more speed, but also adding a guy with no power, who doesn't really hit for a great average, and who is yet another LH bat in an already lefty-dominant lineup.

i just think this team is in desperate need of another RH bat in that lineup and to me, Swisher is the best available FA to fill that void, not to mention he'd be cheaper (yes i know he's a switch-hitter but you get my point).

vCash
    It's not actually guaranteed that he will be cheaper. He's still looking at Jayson Werth as a comp - probably not in years but at least in dollar figures.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    You know that last one was meant in jest, yes?
    [

vCash
    It's not actually guaranteed that he will be cheaper. He's still looking at Jayson Werth as a comp - probably not in years but at least in dollar figures.
    A Team, you know he'll be cheaper lol you're just playing devil's advocate right now.

if he wasn't his name would be thrown around in crazy rumors just like Hamilton's, and it's clearly not. hell, i haven't heard one team mentioned in relation to him.

vCash
    There's probably a 75% chance he'll be cheaper annually. The total contract is more likely to be cheaper, but I'm more concerned about the annual cost.

vCash
    I would be ok with Swisher here if the price is right. We'd have the coolest guy in all of the majors AND we would also have the 2nd best leader in all of the clubhouses with MY.

#intangibleswinchampionships

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    swish would fit well into this team and line up...personally i like that idea more than hamilton if he comes at the right price...
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

vCash
    Price is important since the risk profile on Swisher isn't terribly different than Hamilton.

vCash
    Price is important since the risk profile on Swisher isn't terribly different than Hamilton.
    haven't heard of Swish ever being a drink away from throwing his life away, A Team.

or are we not talking about the same thing here...

vCash
    Would really like Amaro to sign Swisher. But he won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    haven't heard of Swish ever being a drink away from throwing his life away, A Team.

or are we not talking about the same thing here...
    That risk is actually fairly low. He has a strong support system in place. The system has worked for him at least twice in the last 3 years. He might get his one drink or maybe even 5, but someone will always be there to cut him off.

I'm talking more about on field attrition - be it injury or general skill deterioration.

vCash
    That risk is actually fairly low. He has a strong support system in place. The system has worked for him at least twice in the last 3 years. He might get his one drink or maybe even 5, but someone will always be there to cut him off.

I'm talking more about on field attrition - be it injury or general skill deterioration.

i'm much more concerned about injury than skill deterioration, esp. with Hamilton. there's been 2 times in the last 6 years where he hasn't played more than 90 games. Swisher has played at least 148 every year since 2006.

this team is injury-ridden as it is.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast