Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    ittd be nice to see him keep up those shooting %'s lol i no it wont happen but hell take those numbers n the ones he's got on the season give me the number right in the middle of the 2 and id gladly take that
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Monta Ellis nabbed his third career player of the week award, but his most recent big scoring night ended in all-too-familiar fashion: with a loss. Looking through the evidence, we ponder whether Monta's scoring is all its cracked up to be, or if his partner in crime Brandon Jennings might have something to do with it.

The week of Christmas ended with a thud for the Bucks, but Monta Ellis' efforts didn't go unnoticed. A night after his 30 points and nine assists were spoiled by a last-second miss in Detroit, Ellis was named Eastern Conference player of the week for his efforts against the Nets, Heat and Pistons.

It's been an eventful week for Ellis, whose 21.3 ppg, 8.3 apg and 4.0 spg paced the Bucks on the court--numbers which by the way don't include the 37 points he posted nine days ago in the Bucks' disappointing home loss against the Cavaliers. And as if his offensive exploits weren't enough, Alex also served up some interesting analysis showing that Ellis' supposedly awful defense hasn't prevented the Bucks from defending the shooting guard position better than any other team in the NBA. Apparently everything is coming up Monta these days, eh?

Speaking of which, I'm guessing voters didn't factor in the meme-worthy self-assessment Ellis offered up for FS Wisconsin's coverage of Saturday's encounter with the Heat. In case you missed it, this is where the facepalm-worthy phrase "Monta Ellis have it all" originated--from none other than Monta himself.
    Which raises an interesting question: why have Ellis' best nights so often come in games that the Bucks lose? Including Sunday, the Bucks dropped to just 1-4 in games that Ellis has scored 30+ points this season, and his seasonal splits are virtually identical in wins and losses. All of which might set off memories of Michael Redd's penchant for coming away a loser in his biggest scoring nights--most notably his franchise-record 57-point outburst against the Jazz and his 52-point night against the Bulls.

But the Bucks' inability to win when Ellis shines doesn't seem to mesh with the usual theories about why dominant scoring isn't always all it's cracked up to be. For one, Ellis' big games have been pretty efficient: 64/125 from the field in aggregate, 27/33 from the line and 58% true shooting overall. You'd expect his numbers to be good when cherry-picking his best games, and they are. Ellis has also averaged 5.8 apg in those games, so scoring more hasn't prevented him from setting up teammates at a rate slightly above his season average (5.6 apg). He's also turned it over at a higher rate (3.6 per game), but nothing too out of whack given his higher usage in those games. And while you could certainly argue that Ellis being hot might lead to too many ill-advised jumpers with the game on the line, I'd offer a simple counterargument: do you really think Monta would pass in those situations if he wasn't having a good game? Say what you will about Ellis' jump shot, but his confidence has never suffered from inconsistency.

The not-so-dynamic duo

So while it might be fashionable to conclude otherwise, I just don't see the Bucks' struggles in Ellis' best games as evidence of Monta the Irredeemable. There's other evidence for that, namely the poor scoring efficiency he's posted year after year, but if we're going to rag on Ellis we might as well do it for the right reasons. And if we want to know why the Bucks have lost when Ellis has shined, we should probably start with Brandon Jennings.

In the five games in which Ellis has scored 30+ this season, Jennings has been almost impossibly bad: 23.0% shooting (17/74), 9.2 ppg, and 5 apg. So basically any benefit from Ellis scoring effectively has been more than offset by Jennings' struggles. But I'd again warn against confusing causation and correlation. Is there something about Ellis playing well that makes it hard for Jennings to do the same? Ellis isn't the one missing 77% of his shots, so again I'll absolve him of practical blame. In fact, Jennings' 14.8 shots in those games is only slightly under his seasonal average, so it's not like Brandon's been been prevented from finding a rhythm.

What it does suggest is that Jennings is as wildly erratic as ever, and for the fourth time in as many seasons there have been more bad shooting nights than good ones. The issue isn't so much Jennings' scoring drop (17.6 ppg this year vs. 19.1 last year), but that he's taken a step back from his already-mediocre scoring efficiency in spite of shooting less. Both his raw fg% and true shooting percentage have dropped by 2% this season, which given his high usage rate has made it that much more difficult for the Bucks to score points effectively.
    http://www.brewhoop.com/2012/12/31/3...st-good-enough

vCash
    Monta Ellis is not a big guard, but make no mistake, he has plenty of toughness.

A couple of recent instances come to mind.

First, let's look at an example on the mental side of the toughness ledger. Ellis was playing close to his home in Mississippi for a nationally televised game at Memphis a few weeks ago.

That's the night Ellis missed his first 13 shots before finally making a late layup to go 1 for 14.

How did the Milwaukee Bucks shooting guard react?

He said it was disappointing but he had to move on to the next game. "Nothing I can do about it," he said.

In the next game he scored 27 points, including two key baskets in overtime, as the Bucks beat Boston. And he scored 37 the following night against Cleveland.

On the physical side, Ellis gets bumped and knocked to the floor on a nightly basis. And he was slapped hard in the face in a recent game by Los Angeles Clippers enforcer Reggie Evans.

"It didn't hurt," Ellis insisted with a smile, not wanting to give his opponent any satisfaction.

Ellis is showing why the Bucks thought they couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire him last March when they made the trade with Golden State, sending 7-foot center Andrew Bogut to the Warriors.

The 27-year-old Ellis was named the Eastern Conference player of the week Monday after leading the Bucks to a 2-1 record, including victories over conference foes Brooklyn and Miami.

And he did all he could to help the Bucks overcome Detroit on Sunday night, but a fourth-quarter rally ultimately fell short in a 96-94 defeat. Ellis scored 30 points and added nine assists but missed a potential game-tying jumper in the final seconds.

"It was a difficult shot for some people, maybe, but he can make that," Bucks coach Scott Skiles said. "He went to his right and the ball kind of went in and out."

Could Ellis be the Bucks' first all-star selection since Michael Redd was chosen for the 2004 All-Star Game?

If the Bucks can continue to be a contender in the Eastern Conference and Central Division races, Ellis might be the player to break that drought.

The all-star reserves will be selected by conference coaches, so Ellis' sixth-place standing in the latest fan voting won't matter much. Miami's Dwyane Wade and Boston's Rajon Rondo are the top two vote-getters among Eastern Conference guards and are the likely starters for the Feb. 17 game in Houston.

Bucks point guard Brandon Jennings ranked 10th in the latest voting results released by the league.

It's possible the Bucks' chances of landing an all-star will be hurt by having two guards as candidates.

Ellis and Jennings have formed an effective tandem thus far, helping the Bucks to a 16-13 record entering the New Year.

And it's not just on the offensive end where the two guards make an impact.

"I feel Monta, particularly on the ball, is a much better defender than people think," Skiles said. "He's good on point-guard types out on top of the floor. He does a good job moving his feet and his pick-and-roll coverages are usually pretty sharp."

The Bucks give up size in the backcourt with Ellis, listed at 6-foot-3, and Jennings, listed at 6-1.

But the two guards have helped the Bucks stay among the steals leaders, and the team ranks third in creating opponent turnovers (16.76 per game).

Ellis has started all 29 games while averaging 19.7 points (14th in the league), 5.6 assists and 3.6 rebounds. He is shooting below his career average of 46%, at just 40.5%, and is hitting 81.3% of his free throw attempts.

One coach who certainly is impressed with Ellis is Detroit's Lawrence Frank, who compared him to Allen Iverson before Sunday's game.

"Those two are lethal," Frank said, referring to Ellis and Jennings.

"Ellis is a challenge for everyone. Ellis is a nightmare matchup. To me, Ellis is the closest thing to Iverson. He has speed, quickness; he's a great finisher for his size."

Back-to-back woes: Playing on back-to-back nights is part of the NBA routine.
    So it’s a concern that the Bucks have lost on the second night of their last four back-to-back situations.

Skiles warned his players about it before Sunday night’s road loss to Detroit.
    But the Bucks started slowly in the loss to the Pistons and couldn’t build on their emotional 104-85, home-court victory over Miami the previous night. Detroit scored the first 13 points of the game and barely held off a fourth-quarter Bucks comeback.

The Bucks are 2-5 on the second night of back-to-back sets and 6-1 on the first night.

In their last four back-to-backs, the Bucks have lost in the second game against the Los Angeles Clippers at home, at Memphis, against Cleveland at home and now at Detroit.

“It's something we need to address,” Bucks forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute said. “If we really want to be a good team, we’ve got to really take advantage of these, especially when we get a momentum after a win.

“We've got to come out here with the same intensity if not higher and not let down. I thought (Sunday) we let down.”
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks...185345761.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    That part in there about Jennings is bunk. They don't even consider the fact that when Monta is scoring like that he is dribbling around way too much and completely taking the whole offense out of rhythm, Brandon Jennings as well.

His scoring is not at all what it is cracked up to be. It's almost like Jennings and Ellis go to each other before the game and go "all right, are you or me going to shoot tonight?"
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    That's why I wish we would trade for another decent third scorer. Kinda like the old days of Robinson,Allen,Cassell.

vCash
    I thik Tobias can be that player if given the damn opportunities.

vCash
    Maybe Tobias can be te third scorer, but he's not going to earn minutes until he starts playing better defense. He doesn't have very good lateral quickness, and that's going to keep him off of the floor.

vCash
    And I get that. He's still learning the position. However watching Moute on offense could be just as bad for me. I really like Moute, but I am starting to think he'd be more valuable on a team that actually doesn't have scoring deficiencies.

Especially now that he's worked on his J, he is doing way to much, trying to dribble and drive. On one possesion I watched him drive the lane spin and try and lay it in...I wanted to throw up it was so bad.

I am a firm believe that you aren't really going to learn how to play defense against the best if your not actually playing (defending). How is Harris supposed to learn? By watching on the bench? No thats garbage. Every time we are stagnant on offense I just think, boy it sure would be nice to have a slashing player to the hoop, oh wait we have someone like that on our bench???!! Tobias Harris.

He is so efficient on offense that not having him in kills us when we are struggling on offense.

vCash
    I don't think that his defensive problem is inexperience, I think it's more lack of lateral quickness. I agree he helps he offense and i would rater have him play more than Daniels, but he's not a good defender and we really need perimeter defense from our 3 position.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234