Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    So MY is injured/OLD and plays bad defense...He will cost us prospect/specs and 6 mill.....So why exactly take that risk and pay that price when we have guys right now in galvis/fran who would likely be just as good but with a higher upside?

MY is not enough of an upgrade if an upgrade at all over what we have so why even go get him? That alone is the answer is it not? The good clubhouse guy or good leader crap is overrated...We have a ton of guys from Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Charlie/Howard/Utley who are all good club house guys and leaders.
    If you really believe Frandsen/ Galvis is better than MY there is no need to discuss any further. We are simply at loggerheads.

As to your point about leadership being overrated I ask simply; have you watched an Eagles game this year?
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    So MY is injured/OLD and plays bad defense...He will cost us prospect/specs and 6 mill.....So why exactly take that risk and pay that price when we have guys right now in galvis/fran who would likely be just as good but with a higher upside?

MY is not enough of an upgrade if an upgrade at all over what we have so why even go get him? That alone is the answer is it not? The good clubhouse guy or good leader crap is overrated...We have a ton of guys from Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Charlie/Howard/Utley who are all good club house guys and leaders.
    He has a career OBP of .350, .345 wOBA, and 110 wRC. He's also one year removed from a .380 OBP, .370 wOBA, and 125 wRC.

If he can even bounce back a little bit towards his career averages, then he is a definite upgrade over Galvis/Frandsen with the bat. His defense is poor. We can live with that, seeing as our other option in Galvis hasn't played the hot corner until two months ago. We don't really know what he'll provide himself.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    dont be surprised to see a rejuvenated michael young if this deal goes through.

bottom line is that if we make this deal its def low risk/high reward. ye, he's 36 but his health over his career has been great. DL only once i think? but he's been outta place in texas now for a couple years, with the younger guys coming up and having to move positions constantly. being set at 1 position can def matter. coming over to the NL might help. motivation with the contract year. so many reasons to not be shocked if he was great for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If you really believe Frandsen/ Galvis is better than MY there is no need to discuss any further. We are simply at loggerheads.

As to your point about leadership being overrated I ask simply; have you watched an Eagles game this year?
    The eagles are also the youngest team in football.... Do they have the luxury of about 12 other great leader type guys on their team? Using the eagles as an example is just so very very flawed. Again Howard/Utley/Rollins/Lee/Halladay/Hamels/Charlie/Chooch are are all great guys and great leaders.... You do not need a team of great guys or leaders.... We have a great club house with a bunch of great leaders...Now we need talent/Youth and MY isn't much better of an upgrade over what we have out there.

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    There is a god!!!

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    yes, there is

now, what does your post reference? Post #26? the one that turned out to be bogus?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sad. He'd have been a great fit. I could give 2 ***** if he plays a terrible 3B. Seems a smart guy like him would look at his options and see Philly as the clearly better situation. But, you know, Mike Hampton chose COLORADO to go pitch in because of the school system (oh, and the $75M... afterthought).

In other words, relying on athletes to make the smart move is... not smart.

Farewell, Michael Young... we hardly knew ye!
    I don't know, if a couple people offered me $75 mil to pitch for them and I had kids, I might allow school districts to inform my decision. I think it's "smart" to prioritize family over playing time and playoff odds. Especially if the money is the same.
    Last edited by The A Team; 12-07-2012 at 06:51 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    The eagles are also the youngest team in football.... Do they have the luxury of about 12 other great leader type guys on their team? Using the eagles as an example is just so very very flawed. Again Howard/Utley/Rollins/Lee/Halladay/Hamels/Charlie/Chooch are are all great guys and great leaders.... You do not need a team of great guys or leaders.... We have a great club house with a bunch of great leaders...Now we need talent/Youth and MY isn't much better of an upgrade over what we have out there.
    Ok, that's valid. But I'm still waiting to hear a better realistic option outside of Frandsen/ Galvis.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I don't know, if a couple people offered me $75 mil to pitch for them and I had kids, I might allow school districts to inform my decision. I think it's "smart" to prioritize family over playing time and playoff odds. Especially if the money is the same.
    Then you'd be the 2nd.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    You're seriously saying baseball is unarguably more important than taking care of your dependents? I'm a bit of a narcissist and even I wouldn't try to make that argument.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    @JSalisburyCSN
    Still no word on Michael Young's decision though I am getting the vibe it will happen. #Philliestalk
    I'm glad. Most important to me, it gives them a guy who can play(not well) anywhere on the field and he'll give them a body at 3rd. It can't hurt to give him a shot if he's coming cheap. He's apparently great in the clubhouse too, and will make a solid bench option at the least.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    yes, there is

now, what does your post reference? Post #26? the one that turned out to be bogus?

That was added by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Illa215 View Post
    I'm glad. Most important to me, it gives them a guy who can play(not well) anywhere on the field and he'll give them a body at 3rd. It can't hurt to give him a shot if he's coming cheap. He's apparently great in the clubhouse too, and will make a solid bench option at the least.
    Who can play horribly, which basically means he can't play anywhere on the field. We're gonna be getting a Ryan Howard minus the power. Oh but he is a great leader and brings great chemistry. CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    I hate him

vCash
    Seems like there is some overreaction going on here.

vCash
    If it turns out that he can't handle 3rd base on a regular basis, then you throw in Galvis and Frandsen and use Young as a utility guy. It's not like we are trading Cole Hamels for him. It's probably Lindblom, who sucks anyway. There really aren't many options at 3rd base available. He'll be fine as a one year stopgap until Asche is ready.

vCash
    If all we have to give up is Lindblom and some organizational soldier/lottery ticket, and the Rangers are kicking in $10 million, and the $6 million we'd have to cover doesn't preclude us from making other, better moves...I'm actually fine with it.

After all, despite how lousy Young has been in the field and how terrible he was last year, we are still talking about a guy who A) has played 150+ games pretty much every year, B) whose batted ball data seems to suggest at least a dead cat bounce back, C) who can spell Utley at second and is enough of an established vet that Charlie might actually spell Utley and most importantly, D) only requires a one-year commitment.

He's far from a perfect, or even that great of, an option. But it makes sense. If he bombs, you either cut bait, or you hope that one or both of Frandsen/Galvis can do enough to be average.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast