Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 179
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,854
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sad. He'd have been a great fit. I could give 2 ***** if he plays a terrible 3B. Seems a smart guy like him would look at his options and see Philly as the clearly better situation. But, you know, Mike Hampton chose COLORADO to go pitch in because of the school system (oh, and the $75M... afterthought).

    In other words, relying on athletes to make the smart move is... not smart.

    Farewell, Michael Young... we hardly knew ye!
    How exactly would he be a great fit? Our team is pitching....Our team will get wins with pitching....We need good defense behind pitching to play to our strengths...He is not that. Its not like he plays first...3rd is a pretty big position when you are looking at defense and he is putrid there. I know you have wanted this for years and 3 years ago that was understandable but he has declined further and is older and well yea.

    What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,515
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by McPeak92 View Post
    Jim Salisbury said we would only take on 5.5 mil for Young and probably looking at Josh Lindblom and possibly another guy going to Texas.
    That's always the issue with Amaro trades. The other guy is usually overpayment.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Reading, Pa
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    1500
    Sorry Hollywood, I like your profile pic tho.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    444
    vCash
    1500
    Is Young really another version of Polanco, Yup

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    113
    vCash
    1500
    I don't get all the hate towards Young..he has been one of the most consistent hitters in baseball over the last decade. He had a bad year last year 277 to his standards. To a phillies fan if somebody hits 270 it feels like 330. He had a bad year because of all the rumors and he didnt have a set position or a place. Had this been last year coming off his 338 mark we all would have been talking about how he is one of the best third basemans in baseball. This guys good and his defense will be okay. He is exactly what we need consistent.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,308
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by philsphan123 View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere where he declined...
    He hasn't. It was a fake twitter account who said it. I swear sometimes people on this site read one account and they run and post everywhere. Get two creditable sources then make a post.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,426
    vCash
    1500
    According to Heyman, Young is still weighing his options.

    FIRE ME!


    I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    9,872
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    How exactly would he be a great fit? Our team is pitching....Our team will get wins with pitching....We need good defense behind pitching to play to our strengths...He is not that. Its not like he plays first...3rd is a pretty big position when you are looking at defense and he is putrid there. I know you have wanted this for years and 3 years ago that was understandable but he has declined further and is older and well yea.
    An established, professional, successful-for-a-decade RH bat in our LH leaning lineup. Not a fit?

    Was 50 games each of Polly/Wiggington/Frandsen THAT much better than what MY can provide? I remember ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the hand-wringing over Polanco's defense when we brought him back and he did just fine. Young is a pro and will likely get BETTER as he gets more playing time in the field. And really, he just needs to make the routine plays and catch the pop-ups and the pitchers will be just fine with him. I'm sure they'll also his ability to produce runs as opposed to the black hole the position has been for 2 years.

    So yes, I deem him a fit. I always take it as a sign that I'm winning an argument when all the other side has to throw at me is defense. Who gives a **** if he kicks one a week?
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

    ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,492
    vCash
    1500
    depending on who we give up, at $5.5m (a number that has been thrown around) it would be a great fit. although rube will probably dangle aumont and throw in biddle to close.

    i'd rather have youkilis, but at $5.5m we should have some flexibility to take a serious run at swisher and maybe if rube is feeling frisky at hamilton.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,932
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    An established, professional, successful-for-a-decade RH bat in our LH leaning lineup. Not a fit?

    Was 50 games each of Polly/Wiggington/Frandsen THAT much better than what MY can provide? I remember ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the hand-wringing over Polanco's defense when we brought him back and he did just fine. Young is a pro and will likely get BETTER as he gets more playing time in the field. And really, he just needs to make the routine plays and catch the pop-ups and the pitchers will be just fine with him. I'm sure they'll also his ability to produce runs as opposed to the black hole the position has been for 2 years.

    So yes, I deem him a fit. I always take it as a sign that I'm winning an argument when all the other side has to throw at me is defense. Who gives a **** if he kicks one a week?
    Don't forget too, you get a lead and sub Galvis in as a defensive replacement too. Young will not be in at 3rd if the Phillies hold a one run lead in the 9th, right?

    If someone can give me a better option for one year and $5.5-$7.5 million, that's realistic (and not Frandsen, Gavis, or Wigs), than let's hear it. There are like 2 or 3 free agents that are good, I haven't heard of any 3rd basemen being on the trading block, including Headley. Assuming they fill the other holes, I'm okay with this.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape May, NJ
    Posts
    9,872
    vCash
    1500
    It also has nothing to do with me wanting him 3 yrs. ago. I hadn't spent more than 10 seconds thinking about Michael Young until his name came up in rumors the last 24 hrs.

    Maxpower nailed it; if there's a better realistic option, please feel free to point it out.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

    ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,426
    vCash
    1500
    Here's the way I look at it... The Phils trade Josh Lindblom and a PTBNL(A crappy one, not Domingo Santana) for Michael Young @ 1 year/6 mill. He had a really bad year, about as bad as it can get. But I'm not going to complain about giving him a shot for one year at only 6 mill. He's a better option at that price than anyone out there, and definitely better than Frandsen/Galvis. There is a good chance that he is washed up and has nothing left in the tank. BUT, it's a worth risking 6 million on the chances that he returns to at the most a 2 win player. If he does, then today turns out to be a great day.

    If everything goes perfect and Young and Revere both return to form and fulfill potential, we could be looking at a combined 5-6 wins from centerfield and third base for less than 8 million next year, leaving them enough money to add another 4-5 wins in right field(Swisher or Hamilton). While it's unlikely, it's a risk worth taking if I'm RAJ. There aren't exactly great options right now anyway...

    FIRE ME!


    I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    3,426
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    It also has nothing to do with me wanting him 3 yrs. ago. I hadn't spent more than 10 seconds thinking about Michael Young until his name came up in rumors the last 24 hrs.

    Maxpower nailed it; if there's a better realistic option, please feel free to point it out.
    Pretty much.

    FIRE ME!


    I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    68,854
    vCash
    1500
    So MY is injured/OLD and plays bad defense...He will cost us prospect/specs and 6 mill.....So why exactly take that risk and pay that price when we have guys right now in galvis/fran who would likely be just as good but with a higher upside?

    MY is not enough of an upgrade if an upgrade at all over what we have so why even go get him? That alone is the answer is it not? The good clubhouse guy or good leader crap is overrated...We have a ton of guys from Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Charlie/Howard/Utley who are all good club house guys and leaders.

    What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,492
    vCash
    1500
    not much out there. and i like young at that number, but if we are not in on a stud corner outfielder, i like youkilis better both offensively and defensively. i understand he could be significantly more expensive, but i am concerned about our offense right now.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •