Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: I think the singularity...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...will probably happen in our lifetime, or at least within the 21st century.

0 0%
  • ...will probably happen eventually, but far in the future.

4 80.00%
  • ...is unlikely to ever happen at all.

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    You seem to be arguing against a point I wasn't trying to make.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    What about a video game using this AI? It wouldn't have preset phrases like a mass effect but would be able to respond to anything you said. Now I'm disappointed

The Cult of Gattis

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    only 140.1 x 10^6 logical positions after move 1

How do you determine what is "best"? How do you quantify it to something that a computer can "understand" and process?

Without their game databases (which is literally the only advantage that a computer has over a Grandmaster), computers are actually pretty terrible at chess. Actually, just take away their opening book, any grandmaster can beat a computer with relative ease.

Just about 20 years ago (when opening and endgame tablebases have not been created yet), every computer engine, and i mean every, would blunder many simple positions that even your normal club player would laugh at it.
    This "database" if you will is actually a huge part of what makes grandmasters so good. Part of it is simply a matter of short term memory... A grandmaster is not dealing with each piece on the board, they are chunking it together just like when you try and remember 582 you don't have to remember 5 and 8 and 2, but you can remember five hundred eighty two as a single item.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12