Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Butler

vCash
    I didn't know Butler even play OF, I thought it was just 1B and DH

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    It seems like the Royals are willing to pay for Dickey in prospects outside of Myers and Oderizzi. They want pitching and Oderizzi is pretty close so my bet is that he's not considered movable.

Something along the line of

Dickey, Murphy/Valdespin

Starling, Colon, Cuthbert, Joseph and Bonifacio

Colon and Joseph can probably play for us this year. The rest are 2 or 3 years away. Its not Ideal but Starling and Bonifacio are pretty good outfield prospects.

That would allow us to bring in Hairston, Reynolds or Lundwick on a 2 year deal while they get ready for the bigs.
    You're good at dream scenarios. And by the way, recently someone stated that the Royals are NOT interested in trading for Dickey
    Last edited by bklynny67; 12-06-2012 at 06:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    Since he's only played 6 games in the outfield in the Majors (all in 2007) I think his defense would be a little less than so-so.

He is the right kind of bat for the Mets, but they have no where to play him.
    If they're going to put up with Duda's crappy defense in right with a mediocre bat then they can put up with Butler's stone feet in left with his solid bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Butler in LF is similar to Bay in LF. People gave hoim crap for his fielding but when he got here we realized he's not too bad out there and always makes the plays one is supposed to make. Duda is a different story. Butler won't turn 27 until after the season starts, and his bat is awesome. Id love to get him. Far superior to Duda offensively, the same age, and better defensively (even though its just the lesser of 2 evils really)
    What brings you to that conclusion??? Butler's outfield experience was primarily in the minors, where he played 105 games in LF and 96 games in RF, and his glove was found severely wanting. Bay played 1170 major league games in LF with slightly below average defensive stats. Bay had 7 years to practice playing the outfield in other parks before he came here, so by the time he got here he had improved defensively. No such luck with Butler, since he would be learning on the fly, so to speak, with almost no prior experience to draw on.

No to Butler!!! If we can't get Myers from KC, I want Jarrod Dyson plus plus plus.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    What brings you to that conclusion??? Butler's outfield experience was primarily in the minors, where he played 105 games in LF and 96 games in RF, and his glove was found severely wanting. Bay played 1170 major league games in LF with slightly below average defensive stats. Bay had 7 years to practice playing the outfield in other parks before he came here, so by the time he got here he had improved defensively. No such luck with Butler, since he would be learning on the fly, so to speak, with almost no prior experience to draw on.

No to Butler!!! If we can't get Myers from KC, I want Jarrod Dyson plus plus plus.
    Bay's offense made me want to vomit but was an above average left fielder defensively IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Bay's offense made me want to vomit but was an above average left fielder defensively IMO.
    Acquiring Butler would take a major pitching prospect or Dickey.

As bad as Reynolds could be out there there's a much better He is chance Butler would be worse. He is 240lbs and hasn't played LF since 2007 (6 games there).

At least Reynolds is more athletic and has better foot speed.

There is no doubt Butlers bat is much better but they sign Reynolds and not have to deal a Wheeler, Harvey, or Dickey.

The former 2 I wouldn't deal for Butler.

vCash
    Dickey and Ike for Wil Myers and Billy Butler.

Would you do it?

Ike and Hosmer split time between 1B and DH.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    50-48

G: 87 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 27| OBP: .326 | SLG: .320 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Butler in LF is probably the same as, if not worse than Duda. No thanks.

If we got Butler, deal Ike.
    Yes you do, in a heartbeat, Butler is a career 300 hitter, and on avg knocks in 91 runs a year, and that is on a terible Kansas City team, he would be a beast to hit behind Wright

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post

Would you do it?

Hell yes are you kidding me?

Obviously anyone would trade Dickey for Myers straight up and ya know what.... what makes u think Ike is better than Butler? Butler has certainly had the better offensive career thus far and i think its clear Butler is the better hitter so in my opinion, we'd be robbing KC in this deal.. This offer makes it look like Ike is so much better than Butler, therefore evening out the trade... i don't think KC would do this deal but i bet the Mets would do it in a heartbeat.

although, i might prefer Hosmer if we're trading Ike. Ike would be a defensive upgrade for KC and Butler can stay at DH. Hosmer is pretty damn talented and i still think will be a very good hitter and he's not a free agent until 2018. Butler is a free agent in 2014. That'd suck and might be a pretty short rental.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 12-07-2012 at 04:44 AM.

vCash

Dickey & Johan Santana

Why not try to pair these two up to a "all in team". Johan threw no hitter last year. Mets eat 15 of his 25 million, so you get both potential number 1's for only 15 million in 2013. We should get huge return from a team who thinks they are on the cusp just one pitcher or so away. I am pretty sure one of the these guys will have huge year and very possibly both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Hell yes are you kidding me?

Obviously anyone would trade Dickey for Myers straight up and ya know what.... what makes u think Ike is better than Butler? Butler has certainly had the better offensive career thus far and i think its clear Butler is the better hitter so in my opinion, we'd be robbing KC in this deal.. This offer makes it look like Ike is so much better than Butler, therefore evening out the trade... i don't think KC would do this deal but i bet the Mets would do it in a heartbeat.

although, i might prefer Hosmer if we're trading Ike. Ike would be a defensive upgrade for KC and Butler can stay at DH. Hosmer is pretty damn talented and i still think will be a very good hitter and he's not a free agent until 2018. Butler is a free agent in 2014. That'd suck and might be a pretty short rental.
    Well, there is a downside and upside for both teams.

The down for the Mets, is that Ike is certainly better with the glove, and his power number are slightly better, but Butler is a better all-around hitter IMO. The down for the Royals is they would be replacing a RH power bat with another left handed power bat.

The up for the Mets is they are getting there power hitting OF'er, who could immediately be plugged in CF in 2013, while not losing, if any, much production at 1st. The up for the Royals is they get there top of the rotation starter.

It would be a win win for both I think at the end. Not saying it will happen I just chose these players feeling like it would make most sense for both sides....

How about this, maybe a little trickier......

Niese and Davis for Myers and Butler. You still do it?

Sorry for all the trade proposals, this time of year gets me giddy
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    50-48

G: 87 | AVG: .272 | HR: 2| RBI: 27| OBP: .326 | SLG: .320 | wOBA: .293 | wRC: 80

vCash

Would you do it?

With the upside of Myers and the extrabase power of Butler in Citi Field....YES!

vCash

How about this, maybe a little trickier......

Niese and Davis for Myers and Butler. You still do it?

Sorry for all the trade proposals, this time of year gets me giddy
    Niese and Ike for Myers and Butler? Yes 100% for sure cuz I wouldn't hesitate to trade Niese for Myers straight up and Butler is a better hitter than Ike so we get the two best players in that deal. DONE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Niese and Ike for Myers and Butler? Yes 100% for sure cuz I wouldn't hesitate to trade Niese for Myers straight up and Butler is a better hitter than Ike so we get the two best players in that deal. DONE!
    That trade doesn't make much sense from a Royals standpoint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12