Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Butler

vCash

Billy Butler

Recently on the MLB Network I heard that the Royals were shopping Billy Butler for starting pitching. Would Butler's extrabase power and so-so defense in left field be worth trading Dickey for? Have at it.

vCash
    so so defense in left field? i'd imagine it'd be pretty slow and Duda like to watch. Love his bat though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    so so defense in left field? i'd imagine it'd be pretty slow and Duda like to watch. Love his bat though.
    Butler has played some outfield for KC and did decent, we can't even say that much for Duda. His bat is the key. The best fielding outfielder in the free agent market with pop has already signed with Atlanta. Doesn't seem like the Mets have any interest in his brother either.

vCash
    I would take him plus some of their younger guys if we couldn't get Meyers.

Butler, Starling. and Ventura maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I would take him plus some of their younger guys if we couldn't get Meyers.

Butler, Starling. and Ventura maybe.
    I heard something that the Mets were close to signing a solid hitting outfielder without trading Dickey. Wondering if they were thinking of trading Niese for Myers?

vCash
    I'll be the first one to say Butler's bat is obviously better than Reynolds but isn't he the same problem in the OF if not worse?

He hasn't played LF since 2007 (his first year in the big leagues and it was only 6 games) and he's certainly less athletic and has less foot speed than Reynolds.

That move seriously makes little sense and even if the Royals were willing to do it (which i don't think they would) we would only get Butler in return.

We can get Reynolds in FA and not need to deal the likes of Dickey.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-06-2012 at 06:43 AM.

vCash
    Anyone know of another player who was strictly a DH going to a team where he had to play the field every day? How did they do after the trade/signing????

vCash
    It seems like the Royals are willing to pay for Dickey in prospects outside of Myers and Oderizzi. They want pitching and Oderizzi is pretty close so my bet is that he's not considered movable.

Something along the line of

Dickey, Murphy/Valdespin

Starling, Colon, Cuthbert, Joseph and Bonifacio

Colon and Joseph can probably play for us this year. The rest are 2 or 3 years away. Its not Ideal but Starling and Bonifacio are pretty good outfield prospects.

That would allow us to bring in Hairston, Reynolds or Lundwick on a 2 year deal while they get ready for the bigs.
    Last edited by Rio40; 12-06-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Also any deal with the Royals we would probably have to take back Frenchy or Hochever to get the best possible return. I honestly think Frenchy would be ideal for us.

Yea he's not very good but he's had some decent years (obviously inconsistent years) but he's an upgrade over what we have and gives KC an opportunity to bring up Myers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Recently on the MLB Network I heard that the Royals were shopping Billy Butler for starting pitching. Would Butler's extrabase power and so-so defense in left field be worth trading Dickey for? Have at it.
    Butler would be the 2nd best bat on this team.

vCash
    We'd have to trade Ike if we got Butler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Since he's only played 6 games in the outfield in the Majors (all in 2007) I think his defense would be a little less than so-so.

He is the right kind of bat for the Mets, but they have no where to play him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Butler in LF is similar to Bay in LF. People gave hoim crap for his fielding but when he got here we realized he's not too bad out there and always makes the plays one is supposed to make. Duda is a different story. Butler won't turn 27 until after the season starts, and his bat is awesome. Id love to get him. Far superior to Duda offensively, the same age, and better defensively (even though its just the lesser of 2 evils really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Butler in LF is probably the same as, if not worse than Duda. No thanks.

If we got Butler, deal Ike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Butler in LF is probably the same as, if not worse than Duda. No thanks.

If we got Butler, deal Ike.
    no thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast