Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    I've said it before and I'll say it again -- trade Cano! We'll be much better served acquiring some nice, young players in return with manageable contracts. Robbie's going to want too much money, and as evidenced by players on our current roster not even worth naming for the trillionth time, we can't tie so many bucks up into one player. We need to spread it around the 25 man roster a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    So shouldn't the plan be to get under 189M when it is best for the club? Like maybe when there are prospects a little closer to the bigs so they actually have options to fill positions cheaply. That seems like the better way to go about this than just cutting off spending completely and somehow try to build a completely new team in 2014.

I'd feel a lot more confident if I thought the team had any plan at all. I could always be wrong but it doesn't seem like they do.
    the yankees cant afford to go into 2014 over 189 and have a healthy young team going forward because they wont be allowed to spend as much on draft and IFA

vCash
    I have sat quietly and read all of the posts in here and have chosen not to comment, UNTIL NOW.

You all need to stop your incessant whining about the lack of money being spent this offseason and stop vilifying Yankee ownership for wanting to control payroll. The same people complaining about them not wasting money this offseason are the same people who complained about the amounts of money they gave Arod, Teixeira and whoever. You can't have it both ways.

The fact of the matter is that Hal Steinbrenner is running a baseball team. I'm sorry to say that he needs some sort of reward from this as well. JUST AS IF YOU WERE THE OWNER, he is in it to make money. Yes, he wants to win, just as you would, but not only for the prestige but also because there is more money that comes from winning.

The story here is that all of you who are complaining seem to think that the Yankees should spend all of their money just to have a big name at every position to appease YOU, whether or not that makes us a winning team, just so that when these players fail, you can go back at the end of the season and chastise the team for "wasting money" on them. You seem to think that the Yankees exist only to make you happy. ITS A BUSINESS. Don't make it seem like if you were the owner of the team, or if you were running any business, that you wouldn't be in it for the money, since that is the GOAL of anyone running a business.

P.S.

On a side note, I do agree that the spending is crazy...and I also agree with the folks who said that our problem is that we have 100 million tied up in 4-5 players. Look at the Rays. They have fielded an EXTREMELY competitive team with their payroll near or at the bottom of MLB. If we are somewhere in the middle, we should still be able to win with the talent we have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    the yankees cant afford to go into 2014 over 189 and have a healthy young team going forward because they wont be allowed to spend as much on draft and IFA
    Why won't they be able to spend as much on the draft and IFA? I thought those caps get set and don't have anything to do with how far over the payroll tax they are? At least everything I've read has said the only way the draft and IFA caps get changed is if they spend more than they should on those areas in a previous year.

vCash
    because before the draft every team is set an amount they are allowed to spend on the draft , every team is different and the standings the previous year plus the tax take into effect the restrictions into how much they are allowed to spend

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    So shouldn't the plan be to get under 189M when it is best for the club? Like maybe when there are prospects a little closer to the bigs so they actually have options to fill positions cheaply. That seems like the better way to go about this than just cutting off spending completely and somehow try to build a completely new team in 2014.

I'd feel a lot more confident if I thought the team had any plan at all. I could always be wrong but it doesn't seem like they do.
    now is whats best fior the club. we miss out on a weak free agent market and prepare for a strong one coming in 2015
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789