Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    2 down years is a small price to pay to fix the organizations problem. that would still be 14 playoff appreances in 17 years if we miss the next too.

and we wonder why we are called a spoiled fan base. its crap like this that makes other fans hate yankee fans.............
    Then why resign Kuroda, Pettitte and Mo for $40 million...2013 cannot be a down year with those three resigned....
    Nick(mush)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CostanzaNumba0 View Post
    Small sample size, the late 90's were an exception, not the rule.
    Along with the hired guns of Cone, Wells, Clemens, and El Duque...

No homegrown players there.....
    Nick(mush)

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    well the only one we know we have to replace at the moment is martin. i dont think that will be that tough. esepcially since we are getting agrdner back, so that is essentially like a free agent signing for us. you act like the team will eb comepltey revamped. the onyl valueable player we are at risk of losing is swisher
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    I think people that think the team is gonna go back to spending big after 1 year of being under the threshold are kidding themselves.

Unless I am completely missing something the taxes going from 50% to 17% (which I think is what happens if they stay under one year) are really not that huge of a difference.

If the limit stays the same at 189M and they go to their normal $210 payroll its a $10.5M tax hit with the 50% tax rate and a $3.57M tax hit at 17%. People really think they are doing this to save 7M? The tax hit just seems like a well timed excuse for the team. The bottom line is that they want to lower payroll to save the 40M they save doing that. I don't think it has much to do with the tax hit. Unless I'm missing something huge here.

BTW, its fine if the Yankees want to lower payroll. I just think they can go about it smarter than they are and not try to do it one shot. If they gradually do it over the next couple years I feel like they'd be in a much better spot for now and the future.
    Hal wants more profit and couldn't care about winning championships...
    Nick(mush)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Then why resign Kuroda, Pettitte and Mo for $40 million...2013 cannot be a down year with those three resigned....
    and they have put us in aposition that is might not be. eveyr simpyl assumignt hey will be terrible next year is wrong. this team could still compete, the pitchign staff is good, the offense we have now is fine and we'll see who the fill the other offensive holes with

who could they have thrown money at that would significantly ahve helped this team that has signed already? the only one i'm uspet we lost out on is chavez
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Hal wants more profit and couldn't care about winning championships...
    we weren't winning championships spending 200 million a year while othe rchepaer temas were. its not that he doesnt want to win championships, he doesnt want to spend that kind of money and not win. thats not the way to do it in basbeall, and if you lookm at the teams that have been winning is shows.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    the plan shouldnt be get under 189 and then spend like crazy thats stupid, the plan should be get under 189 and then try to make smarter moves going forward, they may go over 189 but they should focus on younger and more balanced team, not the team that pays the most in FA

vCash
    He said exactly what I've been saying the ENTIRE time. As of now, barring a trade for a big young bat, gearing up for a youth movement starting next year and a wave of stud FA's for 2015. Derek will retire, I'm going out on a limb and saying that A Rod will retire if he keeps his current pace as well.

Very possible 2015 Lineup (without any significant trades being made)

Elvis Andrus SS
    Mason Williams (LF if Gardner is resigned, CF if not)
    Robby Cano 2B
    Billy Butler DH
    Chase Headly 3B
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Tyler Austin RF
    Gary Sachez C
    Brett Gardner CF / Slade Heathcott LF

Clayton Kershaw
    Felix Hernandez
    CC Sabathia
    Michael Pineda
    Manny Banuelos

(Keep in note, Stanton is a FA in 2016)

vCash
    King Felix isn't going to leave the Ms and the Dodgers have the money to keep Kershaw.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    I'm reading two compelling sides to this argument.

1. This is New York, not Kansas City.....spend the $$

2. Be patient build a young core nucleus, compete in 2014-15

I believe that a lot of this comes from the age of Yankees fans. Fans under 30 have really never known losing. If you were 13 years old in 1995 you have witnessed your Yankees win five world series and play postseason baseball 17 out of 18 years. The thought of not making the playoffs is absolutely absurd and almost incomprehensible to you.
    The other 29 major league teams have not fared quite as well. Reality for most teams is that just making the playoffs is a huge thing.

Fans who remember the Mattingly years understand that making the playoffs in 1995 was incredible after so many lean years. The Yankees had witnessed the rise and fall of the mets in he 80s and now it was there turn. Young homegrown studs surrounded by mostly players acquired through smart trades the 90s Yankee juggernaut was built to not only win, but sustain winning.

Throwing money after money is not a smart move right now. The Yankee farm system isn't as bare as some like to think, and players will always want to play here.

Jeter, Arod, CC, Tex are all overpaid for what they can offer in the next 2 years. Adding Hamilton etc is throwing good money after bad. Yankees need to be smart here and build another dynasty not a year to year spending spree.

vCash
    I'm reading two compelling sides to this argument.

1. This is New York, not Kansas City.....spend the $$

2. Be patient build a young core nucleus, compete in 2014-15

I believe that a lot of this comes from the age of Yankees fans. Fans under 30 have really never known losing. If you were 13 years old in 1995 you have witnessed your Yankees win five world series and play postseason baseball 17 out of 18 years. The thought of not making the playoffs is absolutely absurd and almost incomprehensible to you.
    The other 29 major league teams have not fared quite as well. Reality for most teams is that just making the playoffs is a huge thing.

Fans who remember the Mattingly years understand that making the playoffs in 1995 was incredible after so many lean years. The Yankees had witnessed the rise and fall of the mets in he 80s and now it was there turn. Young homegrown studs surrounded by mostly players acquired through smart trades the 90s Yankee juggernaut was built to not only win, but sustain winning.

Throwing money after money is not a smart move right now. The Yankee farm system isn't as bare as some like to think, and players will always want to play here.

Jeter, Arod, CC, Tex are all overpaid for what they can offer in the next 2 years. Adding Hamilton etc is throwing good money after bad. Yankees need to be smart here and build another dynasty not a year to year spending spree.

vCash
    cano wants a rod money no way not again cant go down that road again trade him in july or at the very least offer him a qualifying offer maybe visit texas i like there ss got to get younger and perform a gradual mini rebuild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrag10 View Post
    cano wants a rod money no way not again cant go down that road again trade him in july or at the very least offer him a qualifying offer maybe visit texas i like there ss got to get younger and perform a gradual mini rebuild
    .,?!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrag10 View Post
    Kinda difficult to type in the dark huh....

via RAB:

Report: Cano will not give Yankees a hometown discount
    By Mike Axisa

This is not terribly surprising, but Mark Feinsand and Christian Red are reporting that Robinson Cano will not give the Yankees a hometown discount with his next contract. In fact, one source indicated he may seek an Alex Rodriguez-type contract. “He knows he’s the best player on the Yankees,” said the source. “There’s no reason for him not to be paid that way.”

Cano, 30, hit .313/.379/.550 (150 wRC+) this season and set career-highs in a number of offensive categories. He finished in the top six of the MVP voting for the third straight year and played at least 159 games for the sixth straight year. The current records for second base contracts are $15M annually (Cano and Ian Kinsler) and $85M total (Chase Utley), but Robbie is probably going to double that latter number. There’s no way he’ll get an A-Rod contract since all of baseball is looking at that albatross and laughing at the Yankees, but Cano didn’t hire Scott Boras last year to take any kind of discount.

vCash

No non-sense!

Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    You act like this is something new.

The fans have known this has been coming for a long time.

Everyone thinks the payroll is just too avoid the tax.

This also affects our IFA money, which guys like Cano and Mariano Rivera were signed through. So it's imperative that the yankees reach this goal.

I don't get what is so hard to understand, stop acting like a spoiled brat, there is no reason we can't win with a payroll of 189 of less. The yankees have one WON championship in the last 10 years with this whole throw money at everybody approach, it's time for a change. If you can't get with this, find another team to be a fan of. It's getting annoying. Deal with it or change teams, simple.
    -------------------------------------------------------

Hey, baseball is a marvelous sport but is also a business. Even the NYY have to stick to a budget. It's time to avoid bad contracts like ARod's.

I love the Yankees and I love the fact that they are competitive every year, but during the 86-93 they did not even have a chance and I was a devoted fan just like right now. Your favorite team is like family: in good times and in bad times you love your family.

PS: Robby Canó and Snake Boras want a contract for more than 7 years?...Adios Robinson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    the plan shouldnt be get under 189 and then spend like crazy thats stupid, the plan should be get under 189 and then try to make smarter moves going forward, they may go over 189 but they should focus on younger and more balanced team, not the team that pays the most in FA
    So shouldn't the plan be to get under 189M when it is best for the club? Like maybe when there are prospects a little closer to the bigs so they actually have options to fill positions cheaply. That seems like the better way to go about this than just cutting off spending completely and somehow try to build a completely new team in 2014.

I'd feel a lot more confident if I thought the team had any plan at all. I could always be wrong but it doesn't seem like they do.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast