Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Yeah I like Goeddel, would have him squarely in the 2nd tier. Leathersich could be 2nd tier as well, I had him on the borderline and dropped him to 3rd tier in the end to balance the tiers. Morris is 3rd tier because he's far away, high risk (command issues), and a likely pen arm. And Fraser maybe could have a shot as a pen arm, but not sure he gets the opportunity. He's probably just behind the other guys mentioned.
    Goeddel lost some of his luster this year. I wouldn't put him up there in that 2nd tier with DeGrom or Pill.

Morris dropped out of the picture with his performance at Kingsport, where he was repeating a year.

Fraser is OK. He could grow into a good pen option like Edgin did. I also think Armando Rodriguez can make an impact in the pen, possibly even this year.

Leathersich, IMO, has a great future. Definitely right up there.

I didn't consider relievers in my list, since they are rarely coveted as prospects, and as starters fall by the wayside they become relievers too. That said, the Mets system has some fine bull pen arms. Consider:

Mincone, Sewald, Bowman, Wynn, Vanderheiden, Taylor, Yanez, Bradford, Chism, Morel, Bennett & Kolarek.

Soome of them still have too few innings to make any sound judgement, but in their limited time they looked very good.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Goeddel lost some of his luster this year. I wouldn't put him up there in that 2nd tier with DeGrom or Pill.
    Goeddel had an excellent year and I think he'll have a better overall repertoire than either DeGrom or Pill. And the numbers weren't that far different between the three in St. Lucie:

TRA TRA+ FIP SO% nB% kS% GB%
    2.80 140 2.54 21.4% 7.3% 78.7% 50.3 Pill
    3.33 128 2.96 20.9% 8.1% 66.7% 35.5 DeGrom
    3.56 123 2.87 21.5% 9.7% 74.2% 49.0 Goeddel

Keep in mind, Goeddel was a reliever in college, he's a lot less experienced as a SP than Pill. This is the first time he's thrown 100 IP as a SP.

As for scouting, Pill had the best secondaries, but his fastball is only 88-91, maybe has the 90-91 when he really wants it. Pretty nice curve though, and good change as well. Changes speeds really well, keeps hitters off balance, locates well.

DeGrom was overpowering for lower level hitters, but I don't think his stuff will play as well as Goeddel's at higher levels. He was sitting 92-93 with the fastball, touched 94-95, but he's mostly that four-seamer to his arm side, and an 83mph slider to his glove side. He's not varying his repertoire much, not changing speeds, and he's getting away with poor location vs. A ball hitters who will chase that fastball up in the zone.

Goeddel's fastball sat at 91-92, but with nasty sink, and he was able to dial it up to 93-94 when he wanted it. He also mixes in a curve at 75-77 and a slider at 81-83. CB can have nice sharp drop, but a little inconsistent. And he also showed a nice change-up this year, which got better as the year went on. He can cut or run his change, much like his fastball. Basically he's throwing a complete arsenal here, 2-seam, 4seam, SL, CB, CH. Chance at 3 average or better pitches. He's changing speeds, working both sides of the plate, and working to command a full repertoire, which he didn't need as a pen arm. His numbers may look about the same as a year ago in Savannah, but there's been a lot of positive development here, his stock is definitely up.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    In that fantasy world, you are correct.
    In reality they are untouchable, they won't be traded.
    Seconded, big time.

If We Can't Get Tulo Then Sign This Free Agent For Shortstop

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Goeddel had an excellent year and I think he'll have a better overall repertoire than either DeGrom or Pill. And the numbers weren't that far different between the three in St. Lucie:

TRA TRA+ FIP SO% nB% kS% GB%
    2.80 140 2.54 21.4% 7.3% 78.7% 50.3 Pill
    3.33 128 2.96 20.9% 8.1% 66.7% 35.5 DeGrom
    3.56 123 2.87 21.5% 9.7% 74.2% 49.0 Goeddel

Keep in mind, Goeddel was a reliever in college, he's a lot less experienced as a SP than Pill. This is the first time he's thrown 100 IP as a SP.

As for scouting, Pill had the best secondaries, but his fastball is only 88-91, maybe has the 90-91 when he really wants it. Pretty nice curve though, and good change as well. Changes speeds really well, keeps hitters off balance, locates well.

DeGrom was overpowering for lower level hitters, but I don't think his stuff will play as well as Goeddel's at higher levels. He was sitting 92-93 with the fastball, touched 94-95, but he's mostly that four-seamer to his arm side, and an 83mph slider to his glove side. He's not varying his repertoire much, not changing speeds, and he's getting away with poor location vs. A ball hitters who will chase that fastball up in the zone.

Goeddel's fastball sat at 91-92, but with nasty sink, and he was able to dial it up to 93-94 when he wanted it. He also mixes in a curve at 75-77 and a slider at 81-83. CB can have nice sharp drop, but a little inconsistent. And he also showed a nice change-up this year, which got better as the year went on. He can cut or run his change, much like his fastball. Basically he's throwing a complete arsenal here, 2-seam, 4seam, SL, CB, CH. Chance at 3 average or better pitches. He's changing speeds, working both sides of the plate, and working to command a full repertoire, which he didn't need as a pen arm. His numbers may look about the same as a year ago in Savannah, but there's been a lot of positive development here, his stock is definitely up.
    I really enjoy reading these scouting reports, thanks man.

vCash
    Goeddel's numbers may look about the same as a year ago in Savannah, but there's been a lot of positive development here, his stock is definitely up.
    Actually, I didn't think he looked the same last year as he did in Savannah. He seemed more hitable, and lost someting in his command. Maybe it's an aberrration. We'll have to watch him this year. I assume he will start the year in Binghamton.

vCash
    Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    What about Urbina would make anyone think he could become a closer?? I could see people saying something like that about Tapia for instance but Urbina?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Only rdg515
    Yeah, RDG515 and a small outfit called Baseball America [top prospect edition.]
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    What about Urbina would make anyone think he could become a closer?? I could see people saying something like that about Tapia for instance but Urbina?

Yeah, RDG515 and a small outfit called Baseball America [top prospect edition.]
    Would you mind posting that here (with date as well)?

I respect BA's reports more than others so I'd be happy to be proven wrong if they really do view him as a future closer.

vCash
    If you want your future closer throwing mid 80's fastballs with fringe secondaries, then yes, Urbina is our future closer. He's young, but he's a huge bust because he hasn't developed his projectable frame one bit.

vCash
    If you want your future closer throwing mid 80's fastballs with fringe secondaries, then yes, Urbina is our future closer. He's young, but he's a huge bust because he hasn't developed his projectable frame one bit.
    Thinking of future closers, you have to give Jack Leathersich some consideration. Also, while it is way too early to tell, Paul Sewald and Logan Taylor look like they could have the stuff.

vCash
    I have no idea, I have never watched these guys pitch before. Paul Sewald doesn't have good stuff and isn't even a prospect, so I don't know why you think he can be a closer.

vCash
    Sewald: First year as a pro, in Brooklyn, 28.2 IP, 4 saves, 1.88 ERA, 0.977 WHIP, 11.0 K/9, 0.6 BB/9, 17.5 K/BB

For a guy who doesn't have good stuff, he seemed to get some pretty good results.

BTW, what are the qualifications to be classified "a prospect"? Do you have to achieve certain specific levels of performance? Or does some board have to annoint you?

vCash
    From reports, Sewald had below average stuff, Taylor enough stuff to be interesting as a pen arm (likely not closer quality though). A guy like Tapia or Mateo might be a future closer.

vCash
    Seewald was a polished college senior without a lot of upside.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2012/6/7...hp-paul-sewald
    Right now, he throws in the high 80s, topping out around 91. Just knowing that, you'd think Sewald is a finesse-pitching control artist. You'd be absolutely right. Sewald can spot his heater on both sides of the plate, and he doesn't walk many. But what's probably helped Sewald the most this season was his decision to scrap his ineffective slow curve in favor of a tighter high-70s slider, which has been a little more effective at getting hitters to swing and miss, elevating him from pure organizational fodder to someone with at least a chance of pitching his way into the back end of a big league bullpen. He also adds a changeup which is fringe-average.
    Basically, none of his stuff is even MLB average.

vCash
    From reports, Sewald had below average stuff, Taylor enough stuff to be interesting as a pen arm (likely not closer quality though). A guy like Tapia or Mateo might be a future closer.
    You think Taylor could be a starter?

vCash

Absolutely correct!

I've seen him pitch 3x, he's a huge bust and we gave him big time money too for signing. I think the agent probably got most of the signing bonus on this one!
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast