Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

10 Mets Pitching Prospects Asked for in Nashville

In an interview with SNY, SA mentioned teams are asking about 10 different Mets pitching prospects in various trade deals. Nice to have such depth in the pipeline finally. Do we deal from strength to fill holes in 2013? Please no aging bullpeners, injured starting pitchers or third tier catchers for a guy who becomes star in three years [think of how much better off the Mets would have been over the past five years if we kept Kazmir, Bell, Lindstrom and JSmith just to name a few]!

1) Harvey---off limits though maybe he was not counting him as he has established himself as a major leaguer with a bright future
    2) Wheeler--off limits as well.
    3) Familia---future #3 pitcher, closer, setup man or just another fringe reliever? Hard to tell yet but he is so young and has moved up so fast I lean toward the higher end of the scale
    4) Mejia---see Familia, high upside if he can get control
    5) Fullmer---raw but promising
    6) Montero--SA specifically pointed out how much they love this guy...from summer league to high A in one season and scheduled to start at AA in 2013...rising blue chipper.
    7) Tapia---raw but great stuff

And now the lefties:
    8) Edgin---we need him in our pen now
    9) Carson---hope he breaks out and grabs the second LOOGY spot
    10) Urbina---lefties take awhile to develop but I think of him as a future closer or 8th inning guy like Feliciano was for us.

If half of these guys reach their potential, added to Niese, Gee and Parnell, we have a core for the next eight years to keep David Wright company on the way to regular post season appearances and a title or two [or three].

I would like to get a JC Arencebia from TOR to fill the gaping catching spot---could Mejia or Familia plus one other pitcher from the bottom half of this list be enough? If the top position players [WFlores---please move him to LF or RF already, Puello, ARodriguez, CVaughn, Nimmo, Havens, Lagares] move quickly and stay healthy we could finally resemble the 1980s Mets teams where a stud player reached New York every year and we had the depth for great trades for stars to help the team reach the World Series. The team stank in 1983 but Doc and Straw were on the way, Mazzilli was traded for Terrell [for HoJo] and Darling, Bailor and a warm body got us El Sid, Allen and Ownbey got us Keith, Brooks, Fitzgerald and Youmans got us GCarter [R.I.P.], Hearn got us Cone, and we harvested Mitchell, Dykstra, Magadan, Elster, Aguilera, Jefferies et al. If the wild card existed back then we would have been in the post season every year from 1984-1990. Those times are ahead of us with the right moves.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-06-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    The Mets pitching depth is such that there are 10 more pitching prospects that you didn't list, who would also be much desired in trades. (BTW, I don't think I would still rate Urbina that well.) They are:

Mazzoni
    Verrett
    Pill
    DeGrom
    Camarena
    Mateo
    Robles
    Cessa
    Lara
    Ynoa
    Matz

OK, that's actually 11, so I lied. But it is easy to see, with all those guys arriving in the next 2 - 4 years, why it is so vital that we bolster our farm with some more high value position prospects with a Dickey trade now.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I only have heard of Mazzoni, Robles, Mateo and Matz...you name even more depth. I would prefer keeping Dickey if we can sign Ludwick and Hairston. While Harvey and Wheeler may grow to ace status it would be very expensive to get an ace a year from now if Dickey is traded and Johan moves on. Dickey will accept a home town discount. I hope he can be a team leader and teach his knuckler to a few teammates along the way. Getting corner outfielders is easier than skill positions and aces. Use the money saved from Bay and Pelfrey this year to buy an outfield.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Just for the sake of mentioning it, Harvey and Wheeler are not "untouchable". Untouchable would be someone like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper, which we obviously don't have.

vCash
    My guess at the 10 who teams would most likely ask about:

Wheeler, Harvey, Fulmer, Mejia, Familia, Montero, Tapia, Mateo, Robles, Matz

The next tier:
    DeGrom, Goedell, Pill, Edgin, Mazonni, McHugh, Gorski, Carson, Koch, Germen

The second tier here is potential big league arms, just not exciting enough for teams to really pursue.

A third tier would be more questionable guys and guys who are farther away (Ynoa, Lara, Cessa, Flexen, Diaz, Leathersich, E Ramirez, Verrett, L Taylor, Urbina).
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 12-06-2012 at 03:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Just for the sake of mentioning it, Harvey and Wheeler are not "untouchable". Untouchable would be someone like Mike Trout or Bryce Harper, which we obviously don't have.
    Maybe not Wheeler, but other than Giancarlo Stanton, who would you realistically trade Matt Harvey for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Maybe not Wheeler, but other than Giancarlo Stanton, who would you realistically trade Matt Harvey for?
    Trout or Harper.... Angels and Nats wouldn't trade them for Harvey, but thats all I'm saying is that our guys are not "untouchable". If the Angels said "ya know what, I think Trout's 2012 season was a fluke. I'll give you him for Harvey straight up", or even if there's a couple extra prospects thrown in there, you make that deal all f*ckin day!

vCash
    McHugh and Gorski can prob be number 5 starters on many teams by 2014. Wouldn't be surprised if they were asked about as well.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Trout or Harper.... Angels and Nats wouldn't trade them for Harvey, but thats all I'm saying is that our guys are not "untouchable". If the Angels said "ya know what, I think Trout's 2012 season was a fluke. I'll give you him for Harvey straight up", or even if there's a couple extra prospects thrown in there, you make that deal all f*ckin day!
    In that fantasy world, you are correct.
    In reality they are untouchable, they won't be traded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    My guess at the 10 who teams would most likely ask about:

Wheeler, Harvey, Fulmer, Mejia, Familia, Montero, Tapia, Mateo, Robles, Matz

The next tier:
    DeGrom, Goedell, Pill, Edgin, Mazonni, McHugh, Gorski, Carson, Koch, Germen

The second tier here is potential big league arms, just not exciting enough for teams to really pursue.

A third tier would be more questionable guys and guys who are farther away (Ynoa, Lara, Cessa, Flexen, Diaz, Leathersich, E Ramirez, Verrett, L Taylor, Urbina).
    The good news is we have three tiers of prospects. I figure if we tarde Dickey and get an outfield bat we probably would get back a back of the rotation arm or hopefully a decent catcher in the deal then hope Santana can hold it together until Wheeler arrives in July. We could survive and compete with Santana, Harvey, Niese and Gee plus one more from among Familia, Mejia, Hefner [keep him at AAA], and any proceeds from the Dickey trade. Plan B is sign a few retreads like CYoung as insurance. Which formerly solid vets are out there coming back from injury this year??? I predict any trade we make to fill in the holes will include names that all but a few of the ardent fans in here will have never heard of.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    You missed the key word, "realistically." There is no one out there that is realistically available that I will deal Matt Harvey for.

vCash
    I would bracket Eric Goeddel, Ryan Fraser, Akeel Morris and Jack Leathersich in somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon88 View Post
    I would bracket Eric Goeddel, Ryan Fraser, Akeel Morris and Jack Leathersich in somewhere.
    Yeah I like Goeddel, would have him squarely in the 2nd tier. Leathersich could be 2nd tier as well, I had him on the borderline and dropped him to 3rd tier in the end to balance the tiers. Morris is 3rd tier because he's far away, high risk (command issues), and a likely pen arm. And Fraser maybe could have a shot as a pen arm, but not sure he gets the opportunity. He's probably just behind the other guys mentioned.

vCash
    What about Urbina would make anyone think he could become a closer?? I could see people saying something like that about Tapia for instance but Urbina?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    What about Urbina would make anyone think he could become a closer?? I could see people saying something like that about Tapia for instance but Urbina?
    Only rdg515

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast