Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    When Cavs G.M. Chris Grant drafted Tristan Thompson with the fourth overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, it surprised me and a lot of other people throughout the NBA. He was a very raw, inexperienced basketball player without any offensive skill other than to dunk the ball. But the Cavaliers felt he had untapped potential and was an above average athlete and a hard worker, who they could mold into what they wanted for their team. What was that? Another Anderson Varejao! They wanted an energy guy, who would play defense, rebound, run the floor and not worry about having plays run for him on offense. Well that’s what they’ve been getting over the last nine games with Varejao out with a knee injury. Thompson has averaged 13.2 points per game and 12.9 rebounds per game during Varejao’s absence, while also shooting 50% from the field and 72% from the free throw line. Those numbers are very similar to Varejao’s 14 points per game and 14 rebounds per game, which lead the NBA.

This has been a breath of fresh air for doubters like me who looked at Thompson like Bambi or Rudolph. A baby deer, falling down, looking lost and running awkwardly through the forest. His offense still has a long, long way to go, but he’s started to provide everything else that the Cavs expected of him. He’s already surpassed his total number of double-doubles from a year ago with 11 heading into last night’s game at Chicago. His scoring average is up 1.5 points over last year, while his rebounding average is up 2.5 boards per game. His field goal and free throw percentages are also on the rise. Chris Grant and Byron Scott told us in the preseason that no Cavalier worked harder on his game over the summer than Thompson. Early on in the season those comments seemed ridiculous, as Thompson still looked raw and confused. But with the injury to Varejao, it gave Thompson the opportunity to step up and show that the potential the Cavs saw in him on draft night two years ago is indeed there, and starting to develop. It gave him a chance to be a bigger part of this team and he’s taking advantage of it and making the most of it. “I’m just playing. Just being active. That’s my role,” said Thompson after the Cavs loss to the Rockets. “Play hard, rebound and run the floor.” That’s exactly what he’s doing now and he’s doing it with confidence and the organization loves it.

While the Cavs still have the second worst record in the NBA at 8-27, they are 3-6 in the 9 games that Varejao has missed and Thompson providing a larger role. So maybe, just maybe, there’s a little bit of sunshine peeking through that forest and that baby deer isn’t running lost anymore, but is starting to mature and develop. The Cavs can only hope!
    http://www.espncleveland.com/common/...&post_id=10491

vCash
    ^^^ Hopefully they didn't draft Anderson Varejao's injury history in TT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    ^^^ Hopefully they didn't draft Anderson Varejao's injury history in TT.
    Don't worry ARCH, they have Kevin Jones to fill in for Andy now. It's not like he got completely owned by Taj Gibson the other night or anything, . I'm sure Carl will have some reasoning for his play though.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Don't worry ARCH, they have Kevin Jones to fill in for Andy now. It's not like he got completely owned by Taj Gibson the other night or anything, . I'm sure Carl will have some reasoning for his play though.

vCash
    Tristan's numbers after 23 games w/o Andy:

34 MPG, 14.6 PPG, 11.17 REB, 1 BPG, 54% FG%, 72% FT%

Also, how pretty was this last night:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Tristan's numbers after 23 games w/o Andy:

34 MPG, 14.6 PPG, 11.17 REB, 1 BPG, 54% FG%, 72% FT%

Also, how pretty was this last night:

This is why I can see them moving Andy in the offseason and possibly keeping Speights. TT just never seemed comfortable on the offensive end with AV on the court with him. He plays much better IMO where Zeller and Speights can play outside and TT can roam the paint waiting for his dirty work where alot of that same ability is in AV's game.

But then again we really don't know if the reason TT is coming on is because he just needs time at the beginning of the year to get going or if it is from playing with Andy as both years now TT has played better after January but both years Andy went down around that time. So who knows.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    I think Ilgauskas needs some credit. Ever since he started mentoring TT and working with him exclusively on post moves we've started to see and improvement in his game. Got to love Big Z.

vCash
    Tristan Thompson has shot 70 percent from the free throw line over his last 10 games, and has improved that mark to 84.6 percent over his last six contests.
    Thompson shoots below 65 percent from the stripe on the season. "If you put the work and effort in, it should get better in games," Thompson said. After a solid January, Thompson isn't cooling off in February with averages of 15.7 points, 10 rebounds and 1.0 blocks on 62.5 percent shooting. With Anderson Varejao out for the season, Thompson is a must-own, must-start player.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ll-player-news

And yeah to Big Z, hopefully he can improve New Z with some ample time this offseason.

Best Friends 4-Life!!!

vCash
    It should really help Zeller getting a full off-season with an NBA weight training staff. For someone as fundamentally sound as him, getting stronger will add a nice boost to his game.

vCash
    I think teams have started to figure out TT and he has regressed. I think his game will improve with a legitimate center.

vCash
    TT needs to work on his athleticism and jumping a little bit more this offseason and he could still yet take another step froward.

I will note that as the season has progressed it does seem that he's getting blocked at the rim a lot less. That is a good sign, because I was very discouraged by this early in the season. I'm glad to see he is making positive adjustments. He also is showing a lot more confidence in that running floater. He has made it effective from many different angles and distances.

vCash
    Congratulations to #Cavaliers PF @RealTristan13, who broke the franchise record for offensive rebounds in a season tonight with 304. #NBA
    @RealTristan13 broke #Cavaliers season mark for offensive rebounds set by current team executive Zydrunas Ilgauskas (299 in 2004-2005). #NBA
    @RealTristan13 also has 763 total rebounds, two behind Tyrone Hill (in 1994-1995) for 10th place in #Cavaliers season history. #NBA
    -Brian Dulik

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12