Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Syria

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    First, it was my son and nephew who went over there. I had a Blue Star hanging in my window for a long time. I acknowledge the military industrial complex. I was alive and kicking when the phrase was created.

I have not supported our nation building, but there are times when we do have a choice to make. We can choose to let the Muslims be slaughtered in Kosovo, or we could stop it. My nephew went to that one.

If Assad actually uses Sarin, we can choose to interject ourselves, or, we can choose not to. My question to you is this. If you were convinced that Assad did use Sarin, and if you were the President, what would you do and why?
    I appreciate their service and of course my comment was not directed to you or anybody else with family or friends who serve, or have served. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

What bothers me is that we ignore the greatest instances of human rights abuses. For example, we not stop genocide in Rwanda and were simultaneously killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis through sanctions. While me, you, and pretty much all Americans want our primary motive to be to stop gross examples of human rights abuses wherever they prop up, our government does not function this way(unless there is something to be gained). So for this reason I KNOW if the United States were to solely go into Syria, human rights abuses or use of chemical weapons would be down the list and not the primary motivation.

That being said, if he were to use sarin or any chemical weapons on his people, I'd want the United States to act with the international community to stop it. No invasions, no "nation-building", just our country being a major piece of the puzzle to stop it(similar to Libya).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    I appreciate their service and of course my comment was not directed to you or anybody else with family or friends who serve, or have served. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

What bothers me is that we ignore the greatest instances of human rights abuses. For example, we not stop genocide in Rwanda and were simultaneously killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis through sanctions. While me, you, and pretty much all Americans want our primary motive to be to stop gross examples of human rights abuses wherever they prop up, our government does not function this way(unless there is something to be gained). So for this reason I KNOW if the United States were to solely go into Syria, human rights abuses or use of chemical weapons would be down the list and not the primary motivation.

That being said, if he were to use sarin or any chemical weapons on his people, I'd want the United States to act with the international community to stop it. No invasions, no "nation-building", just our country being a major piece of the puzzle to stop it(similar to Libya).
    For the life of me, I don't know why we enter some horrific areas and not others. I don't buy the we did not do "x" therefore we should do nothing (not your argument) that I have heard. I also do not buy we have to do everything. I fully approve of our more communal approach to the world (a la Libya or Bush 41) and feel we have an important role in that community.

In another thread I spoke of the middle east as being as complex as three dimensional chess, and Syria is a great example. Assad has had Iran and Russia on his side. Both have had a defined interest in keeping him in power. Russia looks like it is peeling off, leaving Iran alone. Iran has a relationship with Russia, so, I am guessing they are being pressured. It might be that this will end up with the diplomatic ending that is the best of all possible endings, with Assad fleeing, no bombing, Russia keeps its port, etc.

On the other hand, if Assad did not learn from Libya, he might meet a similar end, and unfortunately, Syria has a huge stash of chemical weapons (they were a non signer to eliminate them) and there would then be a lot of blood shed. Lets hope Assad goes to what ever country will offer him asylum before the blood bath that is already Syria, gets worse.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    I agree with you cab, I just think we need to question the motives in situations like this...and most importantly vet the information we're given.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12