Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
First, it was my son and nephew who went over there. I had a Blue Star hanging in my window for a long time. I acknowledge the military industrial complex. I was alive and kicking when the phrase was created.

I have not supported our nation building, but there are times when we do have a choice to make. We can choose to let the Muslims be slaughtered in Kosovo, or we could stop it. My nephew went to that one.

If Assad actually uses Sarin, we can choose to interject ourselves, or, we can choose not to. My question to you is this. If you were convinced that Assad did use Sarin, and if you were the President, what would you do and why?
I appreciate their service and of course my comment was not directed to you or anybody else with family or friends who serve, or have served. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.

What bothers me is that we ignore the greatest instances of human rights abuses. For example, we not stop genocide in Rwanda and were simultaneously killing hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis through sanctions. While me, you, and pretty much all Americans want our primary motive to be to stop gross examples of human rights abuses wherever they prop up, our government does not function this way(unless there is something to be gained). So for this reason I KNOW if the United States were to solely go into Syria, human rights abuses or use of chemical weapons would be down the list and not the primary motivation.

That being said, if he were to use sarin or any chemical weapons on his people, I'd want the United States to act with the international community to stop it. No invasions, no "nation-building", just our country being a major piece of the puzzle to stop it(similar to Libya).