Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rival Execs Think The Raptors Are The Most Likely Landing Spot If Lakers Trade Pau

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...ack-to-reality

In the absence of Nash and Blake, the Lakers need point-guard help, too. But several playmakers who'd be a natural fit for D'Antoni -- Luke Ridnour, Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Ramon Sessions and Sebastian Telfair among them -- will be difficult for the Lakers to procure with their limited trade assets. Those trade assets are limited, that is, until Gasol enters the discussion.

Gasol is 32, has two sore knees and is off to the worst start of his career from a field-goal shooting standpoint (42 percent) and a scoring standpoint (on both a per-game and per-minute basis). He's also owed $19.3 million next season.

The Lakers have nearly $80 million on the books for next season, the first year of the escalated luxury tax. (And that's before re-signing Howard.) But they also have a $3 billion local TV deal, so they're a rare breed in the NBA's new financial landscape in that they could actually afford to send out Gasol's $19 million and take back more salary -- up to 125 percent plus $100,000 under revised league trade rules. In addition to the $5 million the Lakers can take back in a lopsided trade, they have three small trade exceptions ($544,000, $854,000 and $1.17 million) that could sweeten the pot.

All of this could facilitate Gasol being shipped to a contender looking to boost its playoff chances, or a team on the bubble looking to make the playoffs. In either case, the gravy for the Lakers' trade partner would be sending out more salary than it got back.

Rival executives believe the most likely landing spot for Gasol is Toronto, which could offer Andrea Bargnani in return and bolster the Lakers' point-guard deficiency with Jose Calderon, who is backing up Kyle Lowry. Sources say Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo has shown no willingness to part with Bargnani, but if pressure mounts for him to bolster the team's youth movement and win now by adding a veteran with All-Star credentials like Gasol, that could change.

On one hand, if Lakers fans thought Gasol was soft, wait until they get a load of Bargnani. But he's younger (27), makes half as much (though he has one more year on his deal) and would be the ideal floor-spacer to open the middle for Howard, who is uncomfortable sharing the low block. Gasol fancies himself a post player, and his range is decidedly less than Bargnani's, which makes him uneasy when pushed far out on the perimeter.
    Its been brought up a little bit already in another thread before.

While this would be a good move in the short term, with Gasol already 32 it probably wouldn't be a great move for the future (like the Jermaine Oneal trade).

vCash
    My thoughts:

-Val could learn a lot from Pau
    -Pau makes us a better team now than Bargs does
    -Pau being a Euro might resign for less here after his contract is up, giving us some cap space
    -We may be able to dump a bad contract like Fields on the Lakers

vCash
    One of the agreements Nash has with LA is that they can't trade Pau.

vCash
    This is all speculation and i don't see why we should give them both Bargs and Calderon for a guy that can be a decent veteran presence for a couple of years. It's not really worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    One of the agreements Nash has with LA is that they can't trade Pau.
    can't see that being a problem honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    At this point if its going to happen just happen. I'm indifferent about it.

vCash
    The one thing that stuck out most to be in that article is the part about BC willing to trade Bargnani FFS

This helps us a lot we clear cap space quicker and heck Gasol after next year is an expiring and we can either trade him and get something or dump him to a contender for a pick. I don't see any possible lose lose situation in this.
    We need Calderon as far away from the team as possible so DC doesn't play those stupid 2 PG crap

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    The one thing that stuck out most to be in that article is the part about BC willing to trade Bargnani FFS
    i know i couldn't help but notice that too. makes me want to pull my hair out.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Im telling you guy's its gonna happen.
    We are Anonymous,
    We are Legion,
    We do not forgive,
    We do not forget,
    Expect us

vCash
    I don't want to be crushed if it doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    can't see that being a problem honestly.
    Me neither. Promises made prior to the season and the realities of the season that are currently confronting the Lakers (and Nash) are two different things. Nash didn't go to LA to be friends with Pau, he went there to win. If Lakers management feels there are deals to help them win, they'll sell Nash on the idea.

Time for the team to move forward. Hopefully it gets down, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

vCash
    i do not like pau at all but we need a change and bargs and calderon are the two whipping boys we got so we might as well pull the trigger.. i'm pretty much indifferent to this happening.

i personally am not a huge fan of any of the above mentioned players. i mean i love jose but he can't play a lick of defense, i don't like pau at all, and andy has got to be the most frustrating player in the league.

"they didn't call anything, so i took off" - terrence ross
    #letrossdunk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Me neither. Promises made prior to the season and the realities of the season that are currently confronting the Lakers (and Nash) are two different things. Nash didn't go to LA to be friends with Pau, he went there to win. If Lakers management feels there are deals to help them win, they'll sell Nash on the idea.

Time for the team to move forward. Hopefully it gets down, but I'm not getting any hopes up.
    exactly. and they aren't going to watch their season go up in flames just because they promised him his buddy would be there, even if they can't sell him on it.

vCash
    lmao just fire BC and trade bargnani. If Colangelo shows no willinness to trade bargnani when he obviously sucks dick, just fire his ***. also, try to get atlanta involved in a three team deal. I personally think pau can be the 20/10 presence with ihigh efficentcy.

Its actully a steal for the lakers cus they save salary and get a perfect compliment player to dwight. Andrea would flourish in LA.

Try to get a atlanta involved and get josh smith, id love smithto be on the raptors.
    Try staring at this picture for more than a minute without getting a headache

vCash
    am i the only one who thinks giving jose with bargs is too much for pau? its not like pau's playing great. i think bargs for pau is fair

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast