Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeTsFan4eVeR View Post
    He is 38 years old...this is called selling high...Sandy, if you are any kind of smart, trade him now! Get a quality prospect or two in return...don't be stupid here. Please make our team better with some younger guys!
    The trade market is light right now...as you can plainly see with a lot of money being thrown around for FA. Teams will see if they can spend first. With this you will just have to be patient.

Teams are looking at guys like Grienke first, since all it will cost is money. Once teams realize they have no shot at Grienke...or when Grienke signs, then for guys like Dickey...the market will heat up further than it has already.

You do not just trade Dickey. The Mets just resigned David Wright effectively making him a Met for life. You do not want to send mixed messages to the fan base. There is a lot of talk at the meetings (at least on MLB Network) about which direction the Mets are going, and this is just because the Mets have been waiting on dealing Dickey. They are allowing the market to come to them, rather than just cutting bait and taking the best deal now (which would not include the best hitting prospect a team has). Dealing for prospects has become an art in this day and age. Teams are not loose with the prospects anymore.

If there is no team that is willing to give up their best hitting prospect and at least a player ready to play now (OF, Bullpen, whatever) than it doesn't make sense to deal him now. Keep him and play to the deadline, then see if you can send him somewhere for that same best hitting prospect you were looking for.

Just because it hasn't happened yesterday, doesn't mean something is wrong. Within the next 10 days (SA's own words as of yesterday), Dickey will either be traded, or signed.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    Just because it hasn't happened yesterday, doesn't mean something is wrong. Within the next 10 days (SA's own words as of yesterday), Dickey will either be traded, or signed.
    That is way too much of a commitment for Alderson to have said directly. I'm hard-pressed to think of a time when SA defined a specific timetable. Dealing Dickey is largely dependent on the market for starting pitching opening up on the trade front, and at least one team needs to abandon its pursuit of Greinke. Who knows when that will happen?
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-06-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    I'll be very happy if we re-sign him to 3 years. Very happy. If there's no elite prospects on the table (like Olt or Myers), we should re-sign him. Period. Trading him for a B-prospect and fringe Top 100 guys would be completely stupid.
    It becomes a question of whether you'd prefer a B-prospect or fringe Top 100 guys, or a compensation draft pick.

Those are your choices because there seems little chance of the Mets ponying up a $30 mill + contract extension for Dickey.

Hey, who knows? Maybe some team will trade us a blue chippper. Call me skeptical.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    It becomes a question of whether you'd prefer a B-prospect or fringe Top 100 guys, or a compensation draft pick.

Those are your choices because there seems little chance of the Mets ponying up a $30 mill + contract extension for Dickey.

Hey, who knows? Maybe some team will trade us a blue chippper. Call me skeptical.
    We can get more though a trade then draft picks. Probably similar quality but more quantity. We could prob get a 25-65 range spec with 3 100-150 players for him.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    What will it take before Dickey gets a little respect? He's improved every year with us, He was our 1st 20-game winner in over a decade, He won the Cy Young and still the going perception seems to be that he has about as much worth as a piece of gum stuck to your shoe.

I mean what sort of miracle was it that he pulled off winning 20 games with THAT team behind him? If the Mets had had even 2 more quality people on the team(position player and reliever wise) he could have easily won 23 or more...

Maybe this season will go down an the annuls of history as his strongest/Best season, maybe in 2013 he'll only eek out 15 wins..still pretty damn good, let's also not forget he's a GAMER, he played through 2 injuries that would have sent most other players to the DL for 30 days...He's not just an innings eater he is a QS that you can RELY on every 5th and if called upon every 3rd day to get the job done.

Seriously you tell me which prospect or ML ready player would do the same?

Also please consider just how easily the last 5 seasons or so we've lost members of our starting rotation, Hell what was 2009 even the replacements we brought up went down with injuries after a start...

So really before you begin to champion trading Dickey based on his age or his salary request...take this all into account, leave the stats to the side and look at what the individual has done and what he is and will continue to be capable of doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    What will it take before Dickey gets a little respect?

So really before you begin to champion trading Dickey based on his age or his salary request...take this all into account, leave the stats to the side and look at what the individual has done and what he is and will continue to be capable of doing.
    I agree. Dickey is capable of being a top-ten starter in the NL for 3 to 5 years. So is Matt Harvey. So is Zack Wheeler. How'd you like to see the Phillies come to Shea in 2015 to face Harvey, Dickey, and Wheeler. Could be sweet.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    The scary thing is - if we don't trade him, where is the offensive help coming from? Free agency, where teams are signing guys like Angel Pagan for 4 year/40 mil contracts? Yikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I agree. Dickey is capable of being a top-ten starter in the NL for 3 to 5 years. So is Matt Harvey. So is Zack Wheeler. How'd you like to see the Phillies come to Shea in 2015 to face Harvey, Dickey, and Wheeler. Could be sweet.
    This is what I'm saying. A starting rotation like that who could shut down other teams and go deep into games continually can make up for a lot of ills on the team and even make the bullpen look better.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Dickey
    Niese
    Harvey
    Wheeler
    Santana/Gee?

Who cares who the 5th starter is...that is a sexy ****in rotation.

Unless we can somehow get Wil Myers for either Dickey or Niese, I say keep them both and extend Dickey for 3 years.

He is asking for 45 mil. I'm sure we can get him for about 40 mil and turn that 3rd year into an option if Sandy negotiates properly.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    The scary thing is - if we don't trade him, where is the offensive help coming from? Free agency, where teams are signing guys like Angel Pagan for 4 year/40 mil contracts? Yikes.
    We won't be getting any offensive help.

Maybe 2014 when the Wilpons say the payroll will increase and better OF FAs are available.

For 2013...maybe make one signing for a low cost vet and just hope the younger guys step up.

We probably aren't going to the playoffs this year anyway though so what difference does it make.

I'd be very content with a competitive 81 win season.

How can we win 7 more games that last year? An improved bullpen is the best way to go about that IMO, and an improved rotation like the one I mentioned above could play a role in helping the bullpen improve.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I don't know if you heard but Shea was torn down, unless you dreamt it. And if that's the case it would be a nice dream.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I don't know if you heard but Shea was torn down, unless you dreamt it. And if that's the case it would be a nice dream.
    Oh thank goodness it's gone. I had forgotten.

Shea smelled like puke to me. When I was 7 or 8, a guy sitting a few seats over puked and passed out. They carried him out unconscious. I think there was some blood in the vomit too. They never could wash the stench out of the cement. I smelled the vomit every time I went back. There were some dudes smoking pot as well. Pot-n-puke. The experience was nauseating.

Signed,
    Not a fan of Shea.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    I loved Shea, and have quite a few fond memories of going to a game there.
    Saw the the Say Hey kid man CF for us at my 1st game there.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    We won't be getting any offensive help.

Maybe 2014 when the Wilpons say the payroll will increase and better OF FAs are available.

For 2013...maybe make one signing for a low cost vet and just hope the younger guys step up.
    Yeah, I didn't mean 2013, I mean, in general, where will the offensive help come from if we don't trade Dickey?

Because if Angel Pagan is getting $10 million a year, then, at that ridiculous rate, we're going to need about $50 million worth of offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean 2013, I mean, in general, where will the offensive help come from if we don't trade Dickey?

Because if Angel Pagan is getting $10 million a year, then, at that ridiculous rate, we're going to need about $50 million worth of offense.
    Your thoughts on Angel are almost as bad as your thoughts on Melo.

Pagan is definitely worth that deal in this market. If it wasn't for his down season in 2011, he would have gotten a deal closer to Upton's imo.

The worst deal of the off-season is Victorino's 3/$39M deal with the Red Sox, he is clearly declining.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast