Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Your thoughts on Angel are almost as bad as your thoughts on Melo.

Pagan is definitely worth that deal in this market. If it wasn't for his down season in 2011, he would have gotten a deal closer to Upton's imo.

The worst deal of the off-season is Victorino's 3/$39M deal with the Red Sox, he is clearly declining.
    First of all, don't bring Melo into this. Overrated loser. Let's move on.

Second, yes, that is the market. Victorino and Pagan both got deals they didn't deserve, everyone is. What I'm saying is that the Mets need to improve their offense 5X as much as Pagan alone would do. The team has almost no speed, almost no power, 0/3 outfield spots are filled and there's no catcher.

Do you disagree?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I loved Shea, and have quite a few fond memories of going to a game there.
    Saw the the Say Hey kid man CF for us at my 1st game there.
    Me too.

Can't believe I missed Dugmet's mistake.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    lol okay.

Second, yes, that is the market. Victorino and Pagan both got deals they didn't deserve, everyone is. What I'm saying is that the Mets need to improve their offense 5X as much as Pagan alone would do. The team has almost no speed, almost no power, 0/3 outfield spots are filled and there's no catcher.

Do you disagree?
    Only Victorino got what he didn't deserve. Angel's deal was very fair. You could argue about giving him the 4th year, but that's it really. He was definitely worth $10M+ per on the open market.

vCash
    lol okay.

Only Victorino got what he didn't deserve. Angel's deal was very fair. You could argue about giving him the 4th year, but that's it really. He was definitely worth $10M+ per on the open market.
    Deserved or undeserved. Either way, the Mets will have to buy about $50/m of offense on the market to be true contenders. Right? Or at least $35-40.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Oh thank goodness it's gone. I had forgotten.

Shea smelled like puke to me. When I was 7 or 8, a guy sitting a few seats over puked and passed out. They carried him out unconscious. I think there was some blood in the vomit too. They never could wash the stench out of the cement. I smelled the vomit every time I went back. There were some dudes smoking pot as well. Pot-n-puke. The experience was nauseating.

Signed,
    Not a fan of Shea.
    Sorry. I was really tired that day and probably should not have had the eighth beer.

You didn't happen to see my lucky hat, did you????

vCash
    I have a feeling RA isn't going anywhere. And I think he is going to maintain a high level of production for awhile. Not that he'll win the Cy Young every year, but he'll be a very good starter for the foreseeable future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone seems to have bought into the concept that keeping Dickey will prohibit them from getting other players.

It shouldn't.

If they can get an everyday impact player or two in exchange for Dickey I'm all for it. I just see them getting a handful of mediocres who will serve no purpose other than to keep us from paying a high salaried player, e.g. RA Dickey.

Interesting, I heard Sandy on the phone today talking about how 2 of the players they were considering when they signed Hairston a year ago are still on the market.

But Hairston himself is no longer being considered because he has played himself into a higher market.

What Sandy is saying is that they are no longer interested in signing players who can help win baseball games. Just players who are affordable.

See, Hairston is still a 4th outfielder. The problem is that he's now a GOOD 43th outfielder and if he's good, well, we don't have room for him on our team.

Should be a fun season at the Five and Dime otherwise known as Cit Field.
    Well said. This is why I didn't even care when they re-signed David Wright because I knew they weren't going to be getting any other relevant players. It's just going to be the same mediocre 4th place Mets featuring David Wright.....

I wanted to trade Dickey and Wright to get back legit pieces we could have used for the future to go along with our pitchers about to come up, but the Mets decided not to go that route. They instead decided to stay in 4th place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Well said. This is why I didn't even care when they re-signed David Wright because I knew they weren't going to be getting any other relevant players. It's just going to be the same mediocre 4th place Mets featuring David Wright.....

I wanted to trade Dickey and Wright to get back legit pieces we could have used for the future to go along with our pitchers about to come up, but the Mets decided not to go that route. They instead decided to stay in 4th place.

Well, yes. In 2013 that seems true, though I think .500 is within the realm of possibility. Not likely, but possible. Sometimes patience is the right course of action.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    lol okay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    I've been on the Mets forum for years now and don't have a gripe with anyone except the obvious people (Marty McFly and the like.) Don't wanna bring that Melo junk into this.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    That is way too much of a commitment for Alderson to have said directly. I'm hard-pressed to think of a time when SA defined a specific timetable. Dealing Dickey is largely dependent on the market for starting pitching opening up on the trade front, and at least one team needs to abandon its pursuit of Greinke. Who knows when that will happen?
    Well like I said, I refuse to listen to Fatseca, and I am not falling off the wagon now. So this info comes from the 20/02 and SA's own voice during it. Supposedly that is what he said out of his own mouth. The next 10 days, well...nine now.

I personally don't care, and I am assuming Dickey gets dealt or signed when guys like Grienke are off the board.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Fatcessa has his own **** to deal with, the Yankees are having a bad offseason (and getting older by the second) and he will look to pin crap on the Mets as much as possible to deflect the attention from his Yankees.

They still have time to make a decision on Dickey and that doesn't mean they have to re-sign him either. If they can't get something hashed out this offseason they will figure what to do with him during the course of next season. They could look to deal him at the deadline or if he has a season where he regresses to some extent, they can use that as leverage to re-sign him in FA.

There is no deadline on them to re-sign him or for that matter deal him.

So honestly we just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    Well like I said, I refuse to listen to Fatseca, and I am not falling off the wagon now. So this info comes from the 20/02 and SA's own voice during it. Supposedly that is what he said out of his own mouth. The next 10 days, well...nine now.

I personally don't care, and I am assuming Dickey gets dealt or signed when guys like Grienke are off the board.
    I listened to the entire archived interview between SA and Francesa twice, I couldn't find a reference to "ten days". SA guards his words carefully. He doesn't give a lot of solid information to hang your hat on or to hang him from.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Oh thank goodness it's gone. I had forgotten.

Shea smelled like puke to me. When I was 7 or 8, a guy sitting a few seats over puked and passed out. They carried him out unconscious. I think there was some blood in the vomit too. They never could wash the stench out of the cement. I smelled the vomit every time I went back. There were some dudes smoking pot as well. Pot-n-puke. The experience was nauseating.

Signed,
    Not a fan of Shea.
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Sorry. I was really tired that day and probably should not have had the eighth beer.

You didn't happen to see my lucky hat, did you????
    So, it was you who stole my booze and stash, ya bastid.....

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123