Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64
    vCash
    1500

    Please trade Dickey!

    He is 38 years old...this is called selling high...Sandy, if you are any kind of smart, trade him now! Get a quality prospect or two in return...don't be stupid here. Please make our team better with some younger guys!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    He will either be traded or signed. Expect a trade soon. They won't mess it up because they've been in this situation before, but because Dickey deserves it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JeTsFan4eVeR View Post
    He is 38 years old...this is called selling high...Sandy, if you are any kind of smart, trade him now! Get a quality prospect or two in return...don't be stupid here. Please make our team better with some younger guys!
    Seven years from now, if he's still on top of his game and the prospects we received for him all failed to pan out, will you concede you were wrong?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Seven years from now, when Dickey is retired and the Mets are still signing "affordable placeholders" with no young players becoming the core of the team, will you think resigning Dickey was still the right idea?

    It could go both ways.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Seven years from now, when Dickey is retired and the Mets are still signing "affordable placeholders" with no young players becoming the core of the team, will you think resigning Dickey was still the right idea?

    It could go both ways.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone seems to have bought into the concept that keeping Dickey will prohibit them from getting other players.

    It shouldn't.

    If they can get an everyday impact player or two in exchange for Dickey I'm all for it. I just see them getting a handful of mediocres who will serve no purpose other than to keep us from paying a high salaried player, e.g. RA Dickey.

    Interesting, I heard Sandy on the phone today talking about how 2 of the players they were considering when they signed Hairston a year ago are still on the market.

    But Hairston himself is no longer being considered because he has played himself into a higher market.

    What Sandy is saying is that they are no longer interested in signing players who can help win baseball games. Just players who are affordable.

    See, Hairston is still a 4th outfielder. The problem is that he's now a GOOD 43th outfielder and if he's good, well, we don't have room for him on our team.

    Should be a fun season at the Five and Dime otherwise known as Cit Field.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone seems to have bought into the concept that keeping Dickey will prohibit them from getting other players.

    It shouldn't.

    If they can get an everyday impact player or two in exchange for Dickey I'm all for it. I just see them getting a handful of mediocres who will serve no purpose other than to keep us from paying a high salaried player, e.g. RA Dickey.

    Interesting, I heard Sandy on the phone today talking about how 2 of the players they were considering when they signed Hairston a year ago are still on the market.

    But Hairston himself is no longer being considered because he has played himself into a higher market.

    What Sandy is saying is that they are no longer interested in signing players who can help win baseball games. Just players who are affordable.

    See, Hairston is still a 4th outfielder. The problem is that he's now a GOOD 43th outfielder and if he's good, well, we don't have room for him on our team.

    Should be a fun season at the Five and Dime otherwise known as Cit Field.
    Well said. This is why I didn't even care when they re-signed David Wright because I knew they weren't going to be getting any other relevant players. It's just going to be the same mediocre 4th place Mets featuring David Wright.....

    I wanted to trade Dickey and Wright to get back legit pieces we could have used for the future to go along with our pitchers about to come up, but the Mets decided not to go that route. They instead decided to stay in 4th place.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,984
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Well said. This is why I didn't even care when they re-signed David Wright because I knew they weren't going to be getting any other relevant players. It's just going to be the same mediocre 4th place Mets featuring David Wright.....

    I wanted to trade Dickey and Wright to get back legit pieces we could have used for the future to go along with our pitchers about to come up, but the Mets decided not to go that route. They instead decided to stay in 4th place.

    Well, yes. In 2013 that seems true, though I think .500 is within the realm of possibility. Not likely, but possible. Sometimes patience is the right course of action.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,627
    vCash
    1500
    I have a feeling RA isn't going anywhere. And I think he is going to maintain a high level of production for awhile. Not that he'll win the Cy Young every year, but he'll be a very good starter for the foreseeable future.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    64
    vCash
    1500
    If he is going 7 years from now and wins another CY award, I will concede

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JeTsFan4eVeR View Post
    If he is going 7 years from now and wins another CY award, I will concede
    Ok.

    And three years from now?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,466
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ok.

    And three years from now?
    I know this joke.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,728
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I know this joke.
    Takes one to know one.

    Booyah!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    The Mets have three known commodities in Dickey, Niese and Harvey and one unkown in Wheeler. I don't see them trading three who haven't even come close to their primes. Dickey could pitch even better in 2013 than he did in 2012 but with the way this team is constructed right now it would be a waste of Dickey's efforts to do it for a fourth place team again. Sell and build for the future while you have Dickey's stock high.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    6,167
    vCash
    1500
    Will a deal happen tomorrow during the last day of the winter meetings or will it be later?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,749
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfaninSTL View Post
    Will a deal happen tomorrow during the last day of the winter meetings or will it be later?
    After Greinke signs or never

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •