Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Bowl IGT

vCash

Orange Bowl IGT

Mid-American champion Northern Illinois has busted the BCS and will play Florida State in the Discover Orange Bowl, sources told ESPN.

Northern Illinois finished in the top 16 of the final BCS rankings to guarantee a BCS bowl berth. NIU's guaranteed spot knocked out Oklahoma, projected as an at-large selection, from going to the Sugar Bowl.

The remaining BCS bowls are: Notre Dame (12-0) vs. SEC champion Alabama (12-1) in the Discover BCS National Championship, Florida (11-1) vs. Big East champion Louisville (10-2) in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, Big 12 champion Kansas State (11-1) vs. Oregon (11-1) in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, and Pac-12 champion Stanford (11-2) vs. Big Ten champion Wisconsin (8-5) in the Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio.

Sports Illustrated reported earlier that NIU earned a BCS bowl berth and is ranked No. 15 in the final BCS standings.

Because NIU is ranked in the top 16 and ahead of at least one conference champion from an automatic qualifying conference, the Huskies earned an automatic berth. Northern Illinois is ranked above both Louisville and Wisconsin.

NIU (12-1) is the first team from a BCS non-automatic qualifying conference to play in a BCS bowl since TCU, then in the Mountain West, played in the 2011 Rose Bowl. NIU is the eighth non-AQ team to play in the BCS bowl in the past nine seasons.

NIU also is the first MAC team ever to play in a BCS bowl.

NIU coach Dave Doeren took the NC State job Saturday and will not coach in the Orange Bowl, marking the second time in four years a coach earned a BCS bowl berth but left for another job. In the 2009 season, Brian Kelly led Cincinnati to a 12-0 record and Sugar Bowl berth but left for Notre Dame.

In last week's BCS standings, the Huskies were ranked No. 21 but climbed into the top 16 after beating previous No. 17 Kent State 44-37 in double overtime of the Marthan MAC Championship.

The Sugar Bowl had the first pick to replace SEC champion Alabama and picked Florida. The Gators were guaranteed a BCS berth by finishing in the top four.

The Fiesta Bowl had the next at-large selection of eligible teams and chose Oregon to face Kansas State. The Sugar Bowl was next and had two options: Louisville or Northern Illinois. The Sugar chose Louisville, leaving NIU for the Orange Bowl against ACC champion Florida State (11-2).

With Northern Illinois, Louisville and Wisconsin all earning BCS bowls, it marks the first time in the BCS era (since 1999) that three teams ranked lower than No. 15 earned a BCS bowl berth.
    Link

Doeren's not even going to coach the game either. This is going to suck

vCash
    Well, Oklahoma did say they didnt want to go to the Fiesta Bowl again lol...

However, this is gonna suck. Just as bad as the Orange Bowl last year I believe it was.

vCash
    Yeah this is being reported everywhere. Assuming it's true, it sucks.

BCS National Championship Game: Notre Dame vs. Alabama
    Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Kansas State
    Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Louisville
    Rose Bowl: Stanford vs. Wisconsin
    Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. Northern Illinois

Seriously there are two exciting match-ups there.

vCash
    the OB sucks every year... believe me, i go every year

i think i'll be giving my tickets to my brother-in-law who (regrettably) went to FSU
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Huskie Nation! Hell yeah! Lynch is a beast. I hope we don't get embarassed though.

vCash
    I hope not either, but.....it's the Orange Bowl!!! Unheard of for NIU. Once in a lifetime. Im just happy we're going. I will fly out for this for sure. I don't think it will be a complete blowout by any means.

vCash
    The bcs games are going to suck this year. I'm happy for niu though. My little brother goes there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oldspower71 View Post
    I hope not either, but.....it's the Orange Bowl!!! Unheard of for NIU. Once in a lifetime. Im just happy we're going. I will fly out for this for sure. I don't think it will be a complete blowout by any means.
    i'll buy you a drink if you fly out... i live 10 mins away from the stadium
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    I know they likely wont win but this is still pretty cool. Our school doesn't get this opportunity very often so I'm excited. Plus this gives everyone a chance to see Jordan Lynch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i'll buy you a drink if you fly out... i live 10 mins away from the stadium
    Should have offered me that last year...I would have driven down from Clemson for that ***-whopping.

vCash
    WoW these BCS games suck *** .... Kansas State vs Oregon and Alabama vs Notre Dame will be good ones.

You have Louisville who has played like dog **** the last 3 weeks. They lost to Syracuse, UConn and then had to come back to barely beat Rutgers. They are gonna get smashed by Florida.

Northern Illinois what did they do outside of the MAC????????

Lost 17-18 to Iowa (4-8)
    Won 35-7 against UT-Martin
    Won 41-40 against Army (2-9)
    Won 30-23 against Kansas (1-11)

On top of that they didn't have to play the top 3 teams from the MAC East during the regular season.

Florida State is gonna be favored by +20....

vCash
    Florida is possibly the best team in the country and they're getting a team that's worse than most teams playing on New Year's Eve. Orange Bowl is stupid again. I think the Rose Bowl will actually be good, though it really shouldn't based on the polls. Bama is going to stomp ND of course.

At least there's the Fiesta Bowl, I guess. And the Cotton Bowl, which I assume will be Oklahoma vs. LSU.

vCash
    We won't smash Louisville unless they turn it over a bunch. We should win but honestly I think we would have beaten Oklahoma worse. We play to the level of our competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Florida is possibly the best team in the country and they're getting a team that's worse than most teams playing on New Year's Eve. Orange Bowl is stupid again. I think the Rose Bowl will actually be good, though it really shouldn't based on the polls. Bama is going to stomp ND of course.

At least there's the Fiesta Bowl, I guess. And the Cotton Bowl, which I assume will be Oklahoma vs. LSU.
    Clemson/LSU already confirmed for the Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Clemson/LSU already confirmed for the Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta.
    Ah, and I forgot about Georgia. Since Outback took A&M I guess it's them against Oklahoma/Texas.

EDIT: I was wrong again, it is A&M in Cotton. Guess I could just look this stuff up instead of guessing and trying to remember what I hear on the radio.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast