Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Angels Sign Joe Blanton 2 Years/15 Million

Joe McDonnell ‏@joeontheradio
    Major league sources say Angels close to signing Joe Blanton.
    https://twitter.com/joeontheradio
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 12-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    That's one of the least reputable sources I've ever seen in my life... I'm gonna move this into the offseason thread. Oh and..MY GOD PLEASE NO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    That's one of the least reputable sources I've ever seen in my life... I'm gonna move this into the offseason thread. Oh and..MY GOD PLEASE NO!
    I usually will post legit sources. Trust me.

vCash
    Clearly I'm the only one, but I don't mind the signing. I really don't get why half the board's on suicide watch over signing Joe Blanton, he's a decent pitcher and IMO the price is fair. Getting out of Philly should reduce his home run rate by a lot, and that seems to inflate his numbers a bit. His K/BB rate is great and should be top 20 in the majors, definitely don't see why the nooses are out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VladTheImpaler View Post
    Clearly I'm the only one, but I don't mind the signing. I really don't get why half the board's on suicide watch over signing Joe Blanton, he's a decent pitcher and IMO the price is fair. Getting out of Philly should reduce his home run rate by a lot, and that seems to inflate his numbers a bit. His K/BB rate is great and should be top 20 in the majors, definitely don't see why the nooses are out.
    I've warmed up to the move a little, his FIP and IP pretty much match (or are better than) Santana over the last 3-4 years.

I still think that is a little bit too much money for him, I would have felt better at 2 years 10M or 1 year 7M with an option.

My main complaint is that he should have been option Z, once Greinke, Marcum, Sanchez, etc signed we should have came after him. But maybe that means we are still going to go after those guys, who knows
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    I've warmed up to the move a little, his FIP and IP pretty much match (or are better than) Santana over the last 3-4 years.

I still think that is a little bit too much money for him, I would have felt better at 2 years 10M or 1 year 7M with an option.

My main complaint is that he should have been option Z, once Greinke, Marcum, Sanchez, etc signed we should have came after him. But maybe that means we are still going to go after those guys, who knows
    I actually like the idea of getting him now. If you swing and miss on all the top prizes, the other teams that did just that could scramble and possibly/probably overpay for Blanton. If the directive is to get two starting pitchers, and I think it is, then getting him now makes sense, when no one's really after him and his price might be cheap. It's not a great contract, but I think we'll see in the coming days and weeks that it lines up well with market values. Greinke's going to get a big payday, and guys like Sanchez and Jackson might have a lot of leverage after that.

If this is our last starting pitcher move, I too wouldn't like it, but I don't think it is. Blanton and his $7.5 million(give or take how it's structured) salary shouldn't affect much else, especially when we offered Haren about the same base amount and were still chasing others. I see him as a 4th/5th guy for us, potentially making Richards expendable, and even more importantly, being insurance in case Hanson is done and/or gets hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

vCash
    I'm still terrified.

vCash
    He actually isnt as bad as his ERA suggests

Edit: Im not suggesting he is good, just that he isnt god awful
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 12-05-2012 at 08:50 PM.

vCash
    Industry source on the #Angels' pursuits of Greinke, Anibal, Jackson, etc.: "We are still here."
    If this is a depth move I like it. Blanton should only be 6th or 7th on our depth chart

Oh no...

blanton gets 2 yrs, $15M
    Hate it

vCash
    Really 2 years 15M? for Blanton?

Dipoto strikes nothing here

vCash

Ehhhhh not to happy. Unless we sign Grienke, Hamilton, or trade for Shields.
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

vCash

LOL i spit out my food read this. Don't like the signing either

The Future is NOW!

vCash
    No @JonHeymanCBS reporting that Joe Blanton getting two-year, $15-million deal from #Angels. That would seem to take them out on other SPs.
    Weaver
    Wilson
    Hanson
    Richards
    Blanton

vCash

Angels Close to Signing Joe Blanton

Please let this be a one year deal.

Please let this be a depth move.

Please don't do this Dipoto if its neither of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    Please let this be a one year deal.

Please let this be a depth move.

Please don't do this Dipoto if its neither of the two.
    I am hoping so, I would rather get Brandon McCarthy. He is younger and has better arm.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast