Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cards set to offer Bengie Molina a coaching position

NASHVILLE, Tenn. The Cardinals search for an assistant hitting coach is expected to end soon with a member of the team's extended family ready to join Mike Matheny's staff.

The Cardinals will offer Bengie Molina the role of assistant hitting coach. The move will allow him to join, for the first time in their major-league careers, his younger brother Yadier on the same team. Molina, 38, last played in 2010, ending a career that included two Rawlings Gold Glove Awards.

Matheny and newly appointed hitting coach John Mabry have been conducting a search for a new assistant hitting coach since Mark McGwire moved to the Los Angeles Dodgers as their hitting coach. Mabry was promoted to his role, leaving the job he had last season vacant.

The Cardinals were one of the first teams to hire an assistant hitting coach, and several teams have followed the trend this season.

Any announcement on Molina will come after the Winter Meetings.

The Cardinals have had an extended search for a candidate that included both in-house coaches from the minor-league system and outside options.

Molina played more than 10 years in the majors, spending more of his career with the Giants and Angels. He and brother Jose Molina played together with the Angels, including on the 2002 club that won the World Series. Bengie Molina was a career .274 hitter with a .307 on-base percentage and a .411 slugging percentage. He hit 15 or more home runs in five consecutive seasons as a starting catcher, and his final three seasons as the primary catcher included at least 80 RBIs.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...kf65Jw.twitter

now we will be able to play name that molina all day long ha

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Hmm...

Might be a good choice.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    As a hitting coach is just odd though.

vCash
    I'm good with it. I think. Lol.

But I really did honestly want Jimmy Edmonds

vCash
    i want edmonds too lol but at least we have name that molina to keep us entertained haha

Michael Wacha

vCash
    Lol I have to wonder if yadier told them his brother was interested in coaching

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Lol I have to wonder if yadier told them his brother was interested in coaching
    probably

Michael Wacha

vCash
    I mean for a catcher, he was a pretty good hitter. I dont really remember much about his intangibles but he's a molina so he has to have a pretty good idea about what he's doing, right?

vCash
    Well there is only one thing left to do.... get Jose via trade to back up Yadier. 2/3 Molinas is nice but why 2 when you can have all three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Well there is only one thing left to do.... get Jose via trade to back up Yadier. 2/3 Molinas is nice but why 2 when you can have all three.
    Hell yeah. The "Name that Molina" times would be epic...

vCash
    haha lets do it

vCash
    Being a good coach doesn't rely on being a good hitter. Duncan is the best pitching coach in the game and never pitched in the major leagues.

The Cubs just hired Rob Deer as their assistant hitting coach. He was a 4 true outcomes guy but he's already made comments saying that his own hitting style isn't effective for everyone and it's not what he preaches when teaching hitting.

Rudy Jaramillo, considered to be one of the best hitting coaches around, never played pro ball.

All that said, who knows how Molina will be as a coach. He's a catcher, so probably not bad.

vCash

Bengie Molina to become Cardinals assistant hitting coach

I guess his days playing in the big leagues are numbered...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...medium=twitter

vCash
    Bengie hasnt played in the big leagues since 2010.. His playing days have been over for a couple of years..

vCash
    He hasn't played in awhile, and won't be playing anymore. This was just a move to keep him with his brother.

Moved to Cards forum because....well it's not newsworthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast