Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Lansing Two

37 60.66%
  • Travis D'Arnaud

24 39.34%
Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Maybe a new Jays forum prospect poll is in order, after all the moves?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    Maybe a new Jays forum prospect poll is in order, after all the moves?
    too early for that.. usually gets going around the start of ST

vCash
    Anyone else think syndergaard = paplebon?

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Anyone else think syndergaard = paplebon?
    could very well be... although papelbon had the devestating 2nd pitch which i'm not sure Noah's changeup qualifies for

vCash
    I was thinking more so of the slider potential.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Funny we pretty much trade our top ten prospects in one winter and still have a better farm thn half the teams in the MLB. Aa is a boss.

vCash
    And once our lower level guys make it up to high A and AA it should be a top 10 system again. Never mind the 10th pick and and 10th highest international pool cap.

vCash
    It 8th highest?

vCash
    One thing that should not be overlooked is the fact that EVERY system has a number of guys deep in the minors that they are "dreaming" on.

Lots of people make the argument that our system will likely be top (whatever) again once our guys in the low minors pan out. The fact is that most guys come highly touted out of the draft, and then we you don't hear their name again. The draft really tends to inflate people's opinions of how good a player is or could become. Let's not forget that every team selects in the draft, and has these hopes for their new prospects.

Granted AA has done a good job of keying in on certain talents in the drafts, but to say we could be a top 10 system again is like saying that any other team could improve their rating by that much or more. Somebody has to drop.

I've got high hopes for the guys in the Jays system, but we need to be realistic. Until guys from the 2010 draft class start to perform up to their draft billing (especially the low-level HS guys), I think we have to be cautious.

Looking back at AA's drafts, I've noticed a bit of a trend. EXCELLENT work drafting arms, and piss-poor drafting of bats in the early rounds. Now these kids are young and could certainly turn things around, but based on current performances, many have a loooooong way to go. I'm going to ignore recent IFA signings for right now, because they have an even further ways to come because they're often signed as 15 or 16 year olds.

Just looking at the first 10 rounds + comp picks, here is what has transpired thus far. (And again, it's early)

2010 (Amazing draft for the arms ALREADY.. Bats obviously have a ways to come)

THE ARMS
    Deck McGuire - College arm, jury is still undecided. A lot will depend on his start in 2013
    Aaron Sanchez - Looks like a future stud!
    Noah Syndergaard - Definitely a top prospect. Could be a star. TRADED to NYM.
    Asher Wojciechowski - Could still be something solid. TRADED to HOU.
    Griffin Murphy - Showed great promise in 2012. One to watch for 2013 for sure!
    Justin Nicolino - Very promising future. A top spec. TRADED to MIA.
    Sam Dyson - College arm. Could be a good pen option as early as 2013!
    Sean Nolin - Great numbers in 2012. Jays 14th best spec by mlb.com. Sleeper Arm!!
    Mitch Taylor - Drug problems... retired!

THE BATS
    Kellen Sweeney - Really struggled. Ranked 16th best Jays spec by mlb.com. Needs breakout.
    Chris Hawkins - Played ok. Jays 8th best prospect mlb.com. Hoping for a big 2013.
    Marcus Knecht - Has power and is toolsy, but needs to hit and cut down Ks.
    Dickey Thon Jr. - Good tools but needs to hit in full season ball in 2013.
    Brandon Mims - Released after 2 ABs in 2010.

2011 (Granted, less time in the system..HEAVY on the Arms.. Bats look, well weak)

THE ARMS --> Fairly good crop of arms again!
    Tyler Beede - Unsigned
    Joe Musgrove - Big HS arm, not much work in the minors yet. Traded to HOU.
    Kevin Comer - Looked pretty solid. Traded to HOU.
    Daniel Norris - Very highly touted. Didn't translate into good numbers in 2012, but big upside!
    Jeremy Gabryszwski - Big HS righty. Excellent numbers in Bluefield. ... Sleeper!!
    John Stilson - College arm, arm troubles. Looks like a potential contributor in '13 or '14!
    Tom Robson - Canadian HS righty. Wait and see how he pans out in '13.
    Andrew Chin - unsigned
    Anthony DeSclafani - College righty. Great numbers in Lansing. Bigger challenges lay ahead but looks solid.
    Mark Biggs - Didn't show much in GCL. Big righty.
    Andrew Suarez - unsigned
    Aaron Garza - unsigned

THE BATS
    Jacob Anderson - Hit under .200 and struck out a TON. Fingers crossed on a better 2013
    Dwight Smith Jr. - Unimpressive numbers in 2012. 17th best prospect by mlb.com.
    Christian Lopes - Looks like a bright spot, but not really a stud prospect. Stay tuned.

2012 (Very early! AA used the signing bonuses to load up on high-upside guys early and cheap "sign for a handshake" types from the 4th round to the 10th.. then a few impact HS guys after that!)

THE ARMS -->Seeing the trend yet? Great arms.. Questionable bats.
    Marcus Stroman - 5th rated prospect. Small guy - Big upside! Suspended 50 games.
    Matthew Smoral - 6th rated prospect. Huge guy - Huge upside! Injured, so a 2013 debut.
    Tyler Gonzalez - Hammered in first 3 minor league appearances. 2 ER in remaining 13.1IP.
    Chase DeJong - Big HS lefty. Great numbers in small sample in GCL.

THE BATS
    D.J. Davis - Showed some real promise in his debut! 4th rated prospect by mlb.com. Fingers crossed.
    Mitch Nay - Yet to debut. Tons of power, but questions about avg. and defense.
    Anthony Alford - Star QB, left USM but may transfer elsewhere. Big baseball upside.

The college guys from rounds 4-10 are hardly worth talking about at this point. Organizational fillers probably.

So as you can see, AA has done a tremendous job bringing in talented pitchers, but the bats he's grabbed in the draft have pretty much all put up stinker (or slightly better) numbers.

I'm not ready to say the Jays WON'T have a top 10 farm system by the end of next year, I' just not ready to say they will - if we're basing it on the low minors guys development being better than that of other organizations' low minors guys.

We had a top system the past few years largely based on some premier "almost ready" talent (Gose, D'Arnaud, Drabek, Hutchinson, McGuire, Marisnick) and the Lansing Three (who have panned out, thus far). I just hope the next wave of guys pan out similarly.

vCash
    Jet...nice recap! I think Desclafani went over in the marlins trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysforever View Post
    Jet...nice recap! I think Desclafani went over in the marlins trade.
    You're right he did. Still a great recap, really shows the amount of depth that's been added over the past 3 drafts, add the international signings to that and we still have a pretty strong farm system.

vCash
    Thanks, I had forgotten about him getting moved. Hard to keep track with all the player movement this offseason!

vCash
    Good recap for sure. Yeah Desclafani was dealt to Miami.

I am hoping for Smoral to sort of... replace Syndergard as that really solid pitching prospect for us. He's big, like Syndergard is, and if he puts in a good 2013 campaign then watch out. He has the tools.

I hope Stroman gets his steroid *** together and just pitches like he's projected too. He will probably be in the pen as a strong set up man.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post

I am hoping for Smoral to sort of... replace Syndergard as that really solid pitching prospect for us. He's big, like Syndergard is, and if he puts in a good 2013 campaign then watch out. He has the tools.

I hope Stroman gets his steroid *** together and just pitches like he's projected too. He will probably be in the pen as a strong set up man.
    Yeah, Smoral sounds more advanced, especially his Slider which is considered a wipeout pitch. I hope his foot doesn't cause him problems. I think it was his landing foot that he broke and had surgery on. Anyone know if this could be a lingering concern or should he be back to as good as new?

I have no idea what to expect from the 'little guy' if they start him and he can't take his peds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post

you should educate yourself about what he got suspended for.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ned-substance/

The banned substance is Methylhexaneamine, MLB said in a news release. Various sources say it can boost energy and mask fatigue. Originally marketed as a nasal decongestant, it also is used in some weight-loss supplements. It is banned from supplements made in Canada but is found in such popular U.S. supplements as Jack3d, OxyELITE Pro and C4 Extreme.

Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast