Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Winter Meetings: Free agent pitching thread

According to La Velle E Neal, the Twins actually have offers out to Joe Saunders and Franciso Liriano. Though I have not seen it reported anywhere, on KFAN this morning, I believe I heard La Velle also say he believes the Twins have offers to other guys including Edwin Jackson, Shawn Marcum, Brandon McCarthy, Jair Jurrjens, Joe Blanton, Kevin Correa and Brett Myers.

If true, that is a lot of offers on the table, obviously even if one guy decided to sign, the other offers would be reconsidered.

Personally I would get excited if the Twins snagged Jackson and Marcum. In my opinion, I think Saunders and McCarthy are going to get paid $8-12 million which is much, much to high and I have no interest. If the other names could get signed fairly cheaply, I'd be interested for the back of the rotation.

vCash
    Obviously, the Twins made an offer to Liriano. That was a no-brainer. The offer to Saunders is not a bad move. He is still capable of getting hitters out.
    If the Twins can sign a couple of the guys they've made offers to, I'll be happy.

vCash

Winter Meetings: Miscellaneous (though still important!) Thread

Sorry, moved to a new thread.

vCash
    FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Brewers, Royals and Twins are among the teams who have contacted the Rangers to inquire about left-hander Derek Holland.
    It's unlikely the Rangers would move Holland unless they are able to sign Zack Greinke. The 26-year-old southpaw signed a five-year, $28.5 million extension in March, so the asking price would be huge.
    I know some have concerns about Holland but at about 6 mil per year for the next 5 years I would pay the "huge" ransom if available. Could be our #1 and for sure a good number 2. I think playing at target field his numbers would be VERY good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Obviously, the Twins made an offer to Liriano. That was a no-brainer. The offer to Saunders is not a bad move. He is still capable of getting hitters out.
    If the Twins can sign a couple of the guys they've made offers to, I'll be happy.
    My problem with Saunders is that he can only get outs via his defense behind him as he can't strike anyone out. The Twins defense is poor so I think another season of having the games worst collective K/9 will result in another 90 loss season.

vCash
    I would love to see Liriano return, hes not an ace like he used to be but hes familar with the team and the town and the adjustment period wouldnt be there like it would be for other guys.

vCash
    if we somehow got holland jackson and marcum id be doing backflips

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    if we somehow got holland jackson and marcum id be doing backflips
    Holland is going to take an A+ minor leaguer but I think it would be worth it as his contract is good and his stuff is great. Jackson is attainable at a fairly reasonable price and seems to be a Ryan guy, high upside with reasonable price tage. Marcums injuries worry me but I would be good with him also.

With a rotation of Holland, Jackson, Marcum, Diamond, and Gibson I do beleive we could contend for the division with the offense we have. We do need to adress the middle infield though.

vCash
    Winter meetings are done now...correct?

vCash
    Yup

vCash
    Greinke signs for 6 years, $147 with LAD...woh.

vCash
    That's a lot for Zack. Good for him in any case. Looks like the Dodgers are gearing up for a big run at the title next season.

vCash
    Wow, Correia sucks. Just another Marquis. (God hopefully not that bad) And for 2 yrs 10 mil?!?!?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikes ball boy View Post
    Wow, Correia sucks. Just another Marquis. (God hopefully not that bad) And for 2 yrs 10 mil?!?!?!?
    He doesnt suck, he just isnt one of those top of the rotation guys we need...which we arent going to get in free agency...which is why the Span and Revere trades were good for us.

vCash
    I'm so sick about this. Ryan just burned all the good will with the Revere haul. The Twins have a terrible defense and by far the worst pitchers when it comes to putting the ball in play. Signing Correia just made it worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast