Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Royals Rays Trade - Impact on the Jays

Any opinions on how this deal will impact the Jays? On one hand, I'm happy the Red Sox and Yankees didn't acquire any of the players involved. On the other hand though, I'm afraid that the deal actually makes both these teams stronger and we may be competing with both of them for the two wildcard spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Analyst View Post
    Any opinions on how this deal will impact the Jays? On one hand, I'm happy the Red Sox and Yankees didn't acquire any of the players involved. On the other hand though, I'm afraid that the deal actually makes both these teams stronger and we may be competing with both of them for the two wildcard spots.
    I think you have to feel this helps the Jays a little.

It takes away some of our AL East rival's great pitching, and replaces it with good pitching.

So, it's helps us a little.

Anytime, IMO, AL East teams trade away their better players for not so good players and prospects because of financial reasons it helps us. Albeit, just a little bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaysGirl View Post
    It takes away some of our AL East rival's great pitching, and replaces it with good pitching.
    The Rays pitching was so deep though, they're still left with 5good starters: Price, Moore, Nieman, Cobb and Hellickson. Where they are weak is offensively, and if this Myers guy turns out to be as good as everyone is saying, then they really addressed that. I bet they'll call him up mid season.

vCash
    Like i said it helps us in the short-term as long as Myers doesn't go crazy in his first year

yes the Rays have depth but Shields was an established 2 who has destroyed us the last few years

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    With the two wild cards though, we're competing against the Royals as much as we are against the Rays. The only difference being that we may face Shields in particular less times. The remaining Rays starters record against Toronto (over 40 starts): 21-9 with a 3.20 ERA and 1.13 WHIP

vCash
    Don't think Rays are done, still have some chips to play, they wanted power can see them going after another big bat. And since last year Longoria was injured out or hurt most of the season, a full year of him is like having another big bat they didn't have last year.

vCash
    The Rays pitching was so deep though, they're still left with 5good starters: Price, Moore, Nieman, Cobb and Hellickson. Where they are weak is offensively, and if this Myers guy turns out to be as good as everyone is saying, then they really addressed that. I bet they'll call him up mid season.
    Pretty sure Myers will beat out Loney for the starting 1B job right out of spring.
    What would he have to hit to be better than Pena who had the job last year?
    .225??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    Pretty sure Myers will beat out Loney for the starting 1B job right out of spring.
    .225??
    Myers will play the OF I would imagine with Jennings and Joyce, Zobrist moves to 2B.

Basically the only holes on this team is 1B, C, and DH, and they still have a bunch of pitching and prospects to fill those holes too.
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    .225??
    Myers is an OF'er, and spent most of 2012 playing CF, and most of the 2011 season in RF. He hasn't played an inning at 1B in his minor league career.

He blew up in 2012, and I don't really understand why KC didn't call him up in September.

Loney is going to be their opening day 1B, but Myers may make their opening day lineup in the OF. Right now I could see them playing Sam Fuld for his defense and going with Fuld|Jennings|Myers in the OF and DH'ing Joyce.

Ideally they would find a DH and play Fuld as a 4th OF'er though.

vCash

I think it's quite possible the jays now have a better front 5 than the Rays, the Jays don't have a David Price but I like how they match up head to head 2 thru 5 until someone convinces me otherwise. The rays have more MLB ready depth tho adding in odirizzi and archer etc.

With the two wild cards though, we're competing against the Royals as much as we are against the Rays. The only difference being that we may face Shields in particular less times. The remaining Rays starters record against Toronto (over 40 starts): 21-9 with a 3.20 ERA and 1.13 WHIP
    I don't get the contender label people are putting on the royals. They will have an ok to pretty good offense if all breaks well, but they still have a rotation with Chen, Guthrie and Santana.... Maybe Davis (who has sucked as a SP in previous attempts).

Don't get me wrong, the Rays did quite well in this deal, a lot of young talent coming back for shields.... But a 200inning effective starter WILL be missed.

Not sure if the rays are better for this for this year tho. Long term yeah, they got some good to great pieces.
    I would consider moving d'Arnaud for a top 2 SP with a couple years of control, so its hard to criticize Dayton completely, that being said I would consider it as a piece to strengthen a blue jay team I consider more of a contender if not closer to it than KC. They just traded their best prospect and an MLB ready arm to put their team at the upper end of mediocre IMO

vCash
    The Rays still have solid depth in their rotation even without Shields:

Price
    Moore
    Hellickson
    Cobb
    Neimann
    Odorizzi
    Archer

If they can score some more runs, I still like their chances of winning 90+ games with their pitching staff.

The Royals "should" be a much better team then last year. Their pitching staff should be much improved with a top 4 of:

Shields
    Santana
    Guthrie
    Paulino

If they get big improvements from the young kids like Moustakas and Hosmer, and get a full season from Perez behind the plate they should be better offensively too. They may even call up Christian Colon to play 2B. Their core is still VERY young though, so I don't really understand why they traded away a guy that could hit in the middle of their order for a LONG time.

If I was their GM, I would be trying to package Hosmer in a deal for a proven hitter to go with Butler and Gordon in their lineup if they are trying to compete in 2013.

vCash
    Know what would have a bigger impact on the Jays? Finding a real 1B/DH and some SP depth. Kinda pointless to get caught up in what Meyers could be, I mean a few years ago we all thought Kyle Drabek would be the ace and Travis Snider hitting 30 HRs by now. **** happens with prospects, even really good ones.

vCash
    This deal may not help the Rays be more competitive this season (though I don't see it hindering them much either) but it sets them up to remain competitive in the future. There is no excusing the Royals on this one. Just wow.

vCash
    I agree, you gave up 6 years of guarantees with Wil Myers for 2 of James Shields.

Wade Davis strengthens their pitching though -- he can be placed as a #4-#5 or keep him in the pen where he really excelled -- interchange him and Greg Holland as the 8th and 9th inning guys.

I think I made a comment shortly after the MLB season that the Royals are one team that are on the verge of a breakout -- if they actually start to spend a little to get a few vet guys around the young core and a good rotation, they will compete for a wild card.

Though I still think the Jays are winning the East, so it'll have to be with the Red Sox, Rays, Yanks and Angels.

vCash
    Myers isn't your typical prospect. He's 22 with Giancarlo Stanton-esque power. He can take a walk, hit for average and athletic enough to be good in RF. This kid will be a 2 WAR player in his sleep.

Anything can happen, but when you have those tools, you'll likely find a niche somewhere. My bet is he is a star for Tampa for years to come.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast