Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Winter Meetings: Morneau Thread

Reports are that the Twins are shopping Morneau around. Previously Terry Ryan said he didn't expect the Twins to actively trade more established players but instead get active in free agency. Turns out that may have been a fib as Morneau's name is once again popping up. Baltimore sounds like it might be the prime target.

The Orioles really only have three decent prospects, Machado, Bundy and Gaussman (who would have to be a PTBL) but none of those guys would be available especially for only Morneau. Not sure what the Twins would be looking to get in return. Most likely one of the former top Orioles' pitching prospects who have failed to materialize; Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, or Zach Britton. Chris Tillman probably pitched well enough last year to make sure he's not an option.

Getting back to the first point, Ryan had previously indicated that he would concentrate on trades, not free agents. Trading Morneau may indicate that Ryan no longer believes he is capable of spending to fix the rotation and may be passively implying that the Twins will indeed begin rebuild mode. More thoughts to counter that thought in the next Winter Meetings thread.

vCash
    Moving Morneau (my favorite current Twin), would not please me, but if the team could get reasonable talent in return, I'd inderstand it. Baseball is a business afterall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Reports are that the Twins are shopping Morneau around. Previously Terry Ryan said he didn't expect the Twins to actively trade more established players but instead get active in free agency. Turns out that may have been a fib as Morneau's name is once again popping up. Baltimore sounds like it might be the prime target.

The Orioles really only have three decent prospects, Machado, Bundy and Gaussman (who would have to be a PTBL) but none of those guys would be available especially for only Morneau. Not sure what the Twins would be looking to get in return. Most likely one of the former top Orioles' pitching prospects who have failed to materialize; Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, or Zach Britton. Chris Tillman probably pitched well enough last year to make sure he's not an option.

Getting back to the first point, Ryan had previously indicated that he would concentrate on trades, not free agents. Trading Morneau may indicate that Ryan no longer believes he is capable of spending to fix the rotation and may be passively implying that the Twins will indeed begin rebuild mode. More thoughts to counter that thought in the next Winter Meetings thread.
    I to really like Morneau as I spent money for his Jersey but if moving him for a top end pitching prospect is there I think we have to do it.
    If we could land 2 of the 4 you mentioned (Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta, or Zach Britton or Chris Tillman) in the deal we would have to move on it as it gives us an istant chance to have a better rotation.

vCash
    We could really improve our rotation and our pitching depth here if we trade Morneau but I feel we have to add a bit yet to get 2 or 3 of those Orioles.

It should be very clear that we are in a rebuild mode with Ryan trying to trade veterans for some prospects to fill the bare cupboards in the minors in terms of starting pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FalcoBro8 View Post
    We could really improve our rotation and our pitching depth here if we trade Morneau but I feel we have to add a bit yet to get 2 or 3 of those Orioles.

It should be very clear that we are in a rebuild mode with Ryan trying to trade veterans for some prospects to fill the bare cupboards in the minors in terms of starting pitching.
    Agreed it might take a second tier player to go with him but I wouldn't think any morre than that.

vCash
    all depends on how teams view Justin.......as a semi 'broken' will never be quite what he was guy.....or as the guy that often appeared last year like he might be back....

don't forget the locker room impact, too.....Mauer losing his best bud, etc...

I still shake my head, tho, that the Twins can draft 60+% pitchers in every stinkin' draft and still have need to make trades to fill a rotation.......I mean seriously, have we not drafted like 300 pitchers in the past 10 years yet we don't have 5 solid guys out of that?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    I know right the only guy we've been hearing about is Kyle Gibson for the last 5 years how can nobody else we've drafted be ready or look good enough to be a big time pitcher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    I know right the only guy we've been hearing about is Kyle Gibson for the last 5 years how can nobody else we've drafted be ready or look good enough to be a big time pitcher
    There seem to be a couple of factors. 1st, until recently, the Twins had been winning and were drafting toward the bottom of the first round. Obviously, the guys closer to the top are better bets to succeed, the Twins also were taking mostly offensive players with their first pick most of the last decade.

2nd, the Twins were adverse to risk. This causes two things to happen. One, the Twins historically refused to take high school pitchers early because they are further away from contributing and being so much younger, are more of a risk than college arms. This would take away about half of the pitching options the Twins had when they came to draft in rounds 1 and 2. Additionally, HS pitchers may bust, but often have much higher ceilings, after all, there is a reason they are skipping college to turn pro.

The other factor in the Twins refusal to take risks is that they would always prefer a soft tosser with great control over a flame-thrower with control issues. Even though the control artist has almost no chance to be a Cy Young type, the Twins were always afraid to take the chance on power pitchers in fear that thier wildness was uncorrectable.

Now when Terry Ryan had been asked in the past about this, he would say that they are always looking for hard throwers, what he would not say is that he would only take hard throwers with spot on control, which is very rare for any pitcher let alone a college kid.

Good news though, after last years draft (tons of guys with strikeout history and a high school arm picked in a supplemental round) and the Twins insistance on getting Meyer and May (guys not yet ready to contribute, but can blow batters away), I think they have finally come to realize that they needed to change this approach. They're about a decade later than the other clubs, but the Twins are finally on board the strikeout express.

vCash
    2010 Alex Wimmers RHP Ohio State 21
    2009 Kyle Gibson RHP Missouri 22
    2008 Carlos Gutierrez RHP Univ. of Miami (Fla.) 27
    2008 Aaron Hicks OF Wilson H.S., Long Beach, Calif. 14
    2007 Ben Revere OF Lexington (Ky.) Catholic HS 28
    2006 Christopher Parmelee OF Chino Hills (Calif.) HS 20
    2005 Matthew Albidrez-Garza RHP Fresno St 25
    2004 Kyle Waldrop RHP Farragut HS (Tenn.) 25
    2004 Glen Perkins LHP Minnesota 22
    2004 Trevor Plouffe SS Crespi HS, Northridge, CA 20

There are the Twins' 1st round picks from 2004-2010...and while they were all picked in the 20s, they're still 1st round picks. Yet not one has even thrown a big league pitch other than Perk...my bad and Waldrop

A reason the Twins are considering power arms now is also because infield prospects like Sano are known more for offense than defense- you can't keep putting pitch-to-contact pitchers on the mound if the defense behind them isn't going to be stellar.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Garza has thrown lots of big league pitches.

vCash
    Never knew he had a hyphenated name.