Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Voyager 1 probe leaving solar system reaches "magnetic highway" exit

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - NASA's long-lived Voyager 1 spacecraft, which is heading out of the solar system, has reached a "magnetic highway" leading to interstellar space, scientists said on Monday.

The probe, launched 35 years ago to study the outer planets, is now about 11 billion miles (18 billion km) from Earth. At that distance, it takes radio signals traveling at the speed of light 17 hours to reach Earth. Light moves at 186,000 miles per second).

Voyager 1 will be the first manmade object to leave the solar system.

Scientists believe Voyager 1 is in an area where the magnetic field lines from the sun are connecting with magnetic field lines from interstellar space. The phenomenon is causing highly energetic particles from distant supernova explosions and other cosmic events to zoom inside the solar system, while less-energetic solar particles exit.
    http://news.yahoo.com/voyager-1-prob...023825204.html

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    I have been waiting for this since I heard about it on radio lab

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I don't get what it means by radio signals traveling at the speed of light and that math. Is it just a hypothetical?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    I don't get what it means by radio signals traveling at the speed of light and that math. Is it just a hypothetical?
    No it's not Hypothetical, A signal sent from Voyager 1 will take 17 hours until it reaches Earth. This is another limitation of Space Exploration, signals will take days to years until they reach us.

vCash
    I wish I was this fascinated with space back in school. So cool to think about.