Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't imagine anyone believes Jackson can put up .250/.350/.450. If there's a FO that thinks it, please try to turn that into something worthwhile (even if it's a package).

.230/.310/.400? MAYBE if this overhaul goes well.

vCash
    "can" is such a broad term. Sure, I think he can put up an .800 OPS. That scrawny strikeout king we got for George Bell hit 66 home runs. Anything can happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    "can" is such a broad term. Sure, I think he can put up an .800 OPS. That scrawny strikeout king we got for George Bell hit 66 home runs. Anything can happen.
    Very true. In a given year if things go well? Why not. Regular basis? Nope.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-06-2012 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    Spring training will be more important for BJax than any other Cub that I can recall. If he shows significant improvement, then I think he HAS to get a shot with player development being the point of the season. If he struggles a lot, then we should showcase trade options to maximize their value.

I, for one, will wait until spring training to opine definitively.
    Yeah it's a palindrome
    Go Cubs Go! O-H! Go CBJ! Go Phins!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I don't imagine anyone believes Jackson can put up .250/.350/.450. If there's a FO that thinks it, please try to turn that into something worthwhile (even if it's a package).

I wouldn't assume NOBODY thinks he can do that. Bill James has him projected for .242/.328/.430 next year, and predicting what players can do is basically his raison d'Ítre.

vCash

I without a doubt believe if he was out opening day starter and went injury free he could put up those numbers along with 20 hrs and 20 sb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I wouldn't assume NOBODY thinks he can do that. Bill James has him projected for .242/.328/.430 next year, and predicting what players can do is basically his raison d'Ítre.
    Bill James' projections are still scaled to the high-offense era. He's high on pretty much every player's projection by a noticeable amount.

vCash
    I still think the best way to fix Jackson's swing is to send him to KC along with Garza, for Wil Myers.

vCash

Literally every evaluation of Jackson says the same thing: if the Ks and K rate does not go down, he's either a 4/5th OF at this level, based primarily on his athleticism-speed, or a career AAA player. Once again...Patterson, Pie, and Jackson were ALL part of an organizational "philosophy" in CF that was more on the speed & power potential combo than an actual plate discipline/ approach. You reap what you sew. Jackson could still turn this around and 20 HR potential in CF at this level on the cheap is not exactly a bad commodity to develop more. Sure, if Colorado wants to give us something legitimate back for him, sure, make a deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windycityD View Post
    Literally every evaluation of Jackson says the same thing: if the Ks and K rate does not go down, he's either a 4/5th OF at this level, based primarily on his athleticism-speed, or a career AAA player. Once again...Patterson, Pie, and Jackson were ALL part of an organizational "philosophy" in CF that was more on the speed & power potential combo than an actual plate discipline/ approach. You reap what you sew. Jackson could still turn this around and 20 HR potential in CF at this level on the cheap is not exactly a bad commodity to develop more. Sure, if Colorado wants to give us something legitimate back for him, sure, make a deal.
    I don't follow the Patterson/Pie comparison. Before last season, discipline and approach were never a problem for Jackson. They were a strength, if anything, allowing him to compensate for a long, loopy swing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I don't follow the Patterson/Pie comparison. Before last season, discipline and approach were never a problem for Jackson. They were a strength, if anything, allowing him to compensate for a long, loopy swing.
    Ks have always been an issue with him. And if you're talking open, even somewhat loopy swings...Patterson & Pie both had variations on that theme. My main point is that in a ten year draft, then development span, we've had 3 CFs who have all had issues at the plate, w/ Ks in particular. I'm not saying Jackson can't augment or semi-correct this downside to his game, he very well could. What I am saying is that if a team like the Rockies were to flip Fowler for pitching, we have a potential trade partner for Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckcub View Post
    Spring training will be more important for BJax than any other Cub that I can recall. If he shows significant improvement, then I think he HAS to get a shot with player development being the point of the season. If he struggles a lot, then we should showcase trade options to maximize their value.

I, for one, will wait until spring training to opine definitively.
    Last year Jackson was pretty hot in ST, I think he hit like 5-6 HR's in like 2 weeks. ST really isn't a definitive answer but lets us see whether he improved his swing at all and if he developed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by windycityD View Post
    Ks have always been an issue with him. And if you're talking open, even somewhat loopy swings...Patterson & Pie both had variations on that theme. My main point is that in a ten year draft, then development span, we've had 3 CFs who have all had issues at the plate, w/ Ks in particular. I'm not saying Jackson can't augment or semi-correct this downside to his game, he very well could. What I am saying is that if a team like the Rockies were to flip Fowler for pitching, we have a potential trade partner for Jackson.
    Having a high K% isn't automatically an approach/discipline problem.

Patterson has a career BB% below 5% and Pie is just a bit better at 6.5%. Jackson is like three times as patient as those guys. He managed 15.5% even in the majors last year while he was striking out 40% of the time. Being patient and having a good approach has never been the issue with him. It's all mechanics.

vCash
    Patterson and Pie don't really belong together as comps, either. One had a much better hit tool.

vCash
    Plus what the hell kind of name is Pie, anyway?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast