Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    The only reason I feel somewhat comfortable was because I listened to the in-depth interview of David Wright on XM three times to make certain I heard correctly about a positive, impacting game plan.

But, many people forget that employees get bs'd by employers all the time. The baseball industry is no different.

When I see this game plan in full swing moving in the right direction I will believe, until then call me a skeptical fan.

The romanticism of baseball died along time ago. Loyalty is a fleeting moment these days from owner to fan/owner to ballplayer......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    The only reason I feel somewhat comfortable was because I listened to the in-depth interview of David Wright on XM three times to make certain I heard correctly about a positive, impacting game plan.

But, many people forget that employees get bs'd by employers all the time. The baseball industry is no different.

When I see this game plan in full swing moving in the right direction I will believe, until then call me a skeptical fan.

The romanticism of baseball died along time ago. Loyalty is a fleeting moment these days from owner to fan/owner to ballplayer......
    With $138 million under his belt, the richest contract in team history, of course Wright is going to say the right things.

Your instinct is correct. Believe in nothing until you see it, and even then, question your eyes.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-06-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    If we're willing to pony up money in 14 why not enter the Hamilton fray? 4 or 5 year deals for one of the elite hitters in all of baseball? Sounds like a bargain to me.

Yes, no matter what we do this off-season we aren't real contenders with dead money to Bay and so much tied up to a mid-rotation starter in Santana, but no one available in the next FA class will have the impact in 2014 like Hamilton.

The only talent in that FA class is in starting pitching which we don't need.
    Robinson Cano might be available. In David's conversations with Alderson, Wright remarked to Francesa that the 2015 class was strong -- so he and Alderson apparently were evaluating the potential FAs together down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    But, many people forget that employees get bs'd by employers all the time. The baseball industry is no different.:
    It isn't, true, but that doesn't mean that everyone is BSing everyone.

Wright told Francesa he had sit downs with both SA and Jeff Wilpon. He stated he asked both a lot of hard questions about finances , the state of the farm system, and their future plans. He also told Francesa that as the son of a former Police Chief, he felt capable of spotting BS when he heard it. In his opinion, SA and JW were forthright with him.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-06-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Before I saw Reyes's deal with the Marlins last year, I would have said there's no way the Mets could backload a contract enough to fit Hamilton into this year's budget. Now I have to say it could probably be done, but it means the Mets would be on the hook for at least $25 million a year for 3 or 4 years down the road. With Hamilton's history of personal problems, do you want to risk a contract like that?
    What I am wondering is if it is legal or ethical to write a "behavior" or "morals" clause into the contract. If we make the deal worthwhile for him, i.e. more money than a few other teams are offering with NY perks, then would he be willing to give the Mets an out based on poor behavior? Say, a certain number of arrests or positive drug/alcohol screens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    What I am wondering is if it is legal or ethical to write a "behavior" or "morals" clause into the contract. If we make the deal worthwhile for him, i.e. more money than a few other teams are offering with NY perks, then would he be willing to give the Mets an out based on poor behavior? Say, a certain number of arrests or positive drug/alcohol screens.
    Behavior clauses are written into all MLB contacts as negotiated and agreed in the Basic Agreement with the MLB Players Association. The clauses address activities such as skiing and motorcycle racing (cough, Jeff Kent), the use of illicit substances, as well as general behavior.

However, teams rarely enforce them, and if they try the MLBPA will quickly file a grievance. I can only think of two cases, Sidney Ponson who was in and out of trouble including punching a judge on a beach in Aruba I think, and Shawn Chacon, who struck Astros GM, Ed Wade, a few years back.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    Sure the payroll will be up above $100M, it doesn't mean it's there to spend. I heard this on WFAN update, since I do not listen to Fatcesa. Jeff also mentions that Sandy will have "flexibility" for THIS off-season. Do not believe this, do not make too much of it. Jeff does this EVERY year.

The annual 'flexibility' nonsense designed to pacify fans who are pissed off the team has done nothing in the off-season get thrown the 'flexibility' bone and most of them chomp down hard on it - every year.

When the deadline rolls around the spend nothing, this happens every single year, and the same fools bite.

vCash
    I heard the Francessa interview with DW and it sounded like DW is a true believer. While Sandy could sell sand in the desert I wonder whether Jeffy is smart enough to bull **** David. I suspect that he isn't so the follow up question is whether Jeffy believes his own spin.

vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Payroll to increase in 2014

Wright also said he never really wanted to live the Mets and that was a huge reason why he wanted to stay and play for just one team. He mention guys like Ripken, Jones and Jeter.

..but he also mention pitching not only at the major league level, but in the minors and we all know that the Mets are stacked with pitching right now and we all know that pitching wins and it will be the reason why the Mets eventually will become contenders again.

vCash
    I felt very confident as a met fan after hearing Wright, Sandy, Jeff, and co I think they will put their best efforts in putting out a winning product in the coming years. I guess that's just the optimist in me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Wright also said he never really wanted to live the Mets and that was a huge reason why he wanted to stay and play for just one team. He mention guys like Ripken, Jones and Jeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ..but he also mention pitching not only at the major league level, but in the minors and we all know that the Mets are stacked with pitching right now and we all know that pitching wins and it will be the reason why the Mets eventually will become contenders again.

Exactly, you cannot buy that, being the teams true franchise player (forget that arrogant *** Seaver) will be worth its weight in gold to him down the line.

vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Payroll to increase in 2014

Yeah specially if he like those three guys does enough to become a hall of fame player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Robinson Cano might be available. In David's conversations with Alderson, Wright remarked to Francesa that the 2015 class was strong -- so he and Alderson apparently were evaluating the potential FAs together down the road.
    Sure they're talking about 2015. Their Willets Point project opens in 2016. So the Wilpons will wait until a little before then to spend. Why bother trying to put together a winning team until then?

Citi Field got the absolute go-ahead to open in 2004/5. They only started really spending in 2005.

They only spend in conjunction with launch of projects where they need to generate interest in the team. Otherwise they couldn't care less about winning.

They could spend now, but prefer the put the money in their pockets. Do you think Wright and Bay's deferred money, around $20 million, will go into payroll this year or their pockets?

They might well begin spending a little in 2014, though.

Anyway, there's the timetable they seem to have given Wright. If the courts delay or stop the project, however, chances are good the Wilpons will change the plan, not spend, dump their backloaded contracts and Wright is screwed.

This is a pretty radical prediction. I'm actually expecting them to spend and I think they're the cheapest bastards in the world. Few others have confidence they'll spend, but I believe they will. When it happens just remember they're still essentially cheap and they'll be doing it for the most cynical reasons possible. They still won't care about winning. Because this is a good three years down the road I will say major events in court or the world could change things, but this is what I believe the plan is now.

Either way, get ready for another two seasons of garbage.
    Last edited by Coupon; 12-06-2012 at 02:26 PM.

vCash
    When is the Wilets Point project going to be completed? I can't wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Sure they're talking about 2015. Their Willets Point project opens in 2016. So the Wilpons will wait until a little before then to spend. Why bother trying to put together a winning team until then?

Citi Field got the absolute go-ahead to open in 2004/5. They only started really spending in 2005.

They only spend in conjunction with launch of projects where they need to generate interest in the team. Otherwise they couldn't care less about winning.

They could spend now, but prefer the put the money in their pockets. Do you think Wright and Bay's deferred money, around $20 million, will go into payroll this year or their pockets?

They might well begin spending a little in 2014, though.

Anyway, there's the timetable they seem to have given Wright. If the courts delay or stop the project, however, chances are good the Wilpons will change the plan, not spend, dump their backloaded contracts and Wright is screwed.

This is a pretty radical prediction. I'm actually expecting them to spend and I think they're the cheapest bastards in the world. Few others have confidence they'll spend, but I believe they will. When it happens just remember they're still essentially cheap and they'll be doing it for the most cynical reasons possible. They still won't care about winning. Because this is a good three years down the road I will say major events in court or the world could change things, but this is what I believe the plan is now.

Either way, get ready for another two seasons of garbage.
    1998 - 8th highest payroll

1999 - 7th highest payroll

2000 - 6th highest payroll

2001 - 4th highest payroll

2002 - 6th highest payroll

2003 - 2nd highest payroll

2004 - 4th highest payroll

What were we trying to build between 98 and 04? A hot dog stand?

I can keep going by the way and just by looking at the list I have we have been in the top 7 in payroll very year since 2008 (furthest my list goes back) except for this past year.
    Last edited by metsbulls1025; 12-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    1998 - 8th highest payroll

1999 - 7th highest payroll

2000 - 6th highest payroll

2001 - 4th highest payroll

2002 - 6th highest payroll

2003 - 2nd highest payroll

2004 - 4th highest payroll

What were we trying to build between 98 and 04? A hot dog stand?
    You're proving my point. For a team in the biggest market in the world those are low payrolls. As you'll recall it was Doubleday that insisted on getting Piazza, whose contract moved them up a couple notches. Fred didn't want to spend. In 2003 they were preparing launch of SNY the next year, so it makes sense they'd spend.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast