Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Payroll to increase in 2014

Jayson Stark @jaysonst
    Jeff Wilpon says firmly: "The payroll is going to go up next year" and talks about "flexibility" after contracts come off books in 2014

vCash

Jeff Wilpon: Payroll to increase in 2014

Yeah they will spend 60 million in the off season.

vCash
    Someone had tweeted that Wright asked hard questions about the team's economics... good sign for future spending that he decided to stay

vCash
    We'll see how they spend the money and who they spend the money on, but good news in my opinion.

vCash
    Ahhh.. why not spend a little in 2013? Big statement means little today!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    Ahhh.. why not spend a little in 2013? Big statement means little today!
    Because in 2013 they'll say that 2015 is the year we spend big. Then 2016 is the year we will be ready to compete...then 2017. Then 2021.

vCash
    Yaaaa.... guys don't get too excited, its the Wilpons talking here. I'll believe it when I see it.

vCash
    He didn't say by how much or what percentage, so even if they spend $1 more in 2014 than 2013...payroll would indeed have gone up...

vCash
    Jeff might have meant that he and Freddie are going to give each other raises.

vCash
    DPLennon Jeff Wilpon reinforced to Wright they would continue to own #Mets. "As we’ve said from the beginning, we’re not going anywhere," Wilpon said

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Wilpon saying this means little. The fact that Wright chose to stay when he has clearly said on numerous occasions that he will only stay if he feels the Mets will compete, tells me that this statement might be true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Jack Curry ‏@JackCurryYES
    Wright asked Jeff Wilpon questions about Mets' finances during negotiating process. "I asked as many tough questions as I could," he said.

Jack Curry ‏@JackCurryYES
    Wright also quizzed Sandy Alderson about minor lg system, possible FA signings and how to build a winner.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Jayson Stark @jaysonst
    Jeff Wilpon says firmly: "The payroll is going to go up next year" and talks about "flexibility" after contracts come off books in 2014

Shut up Jeff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Because in 2013 they'll say that 2015 is the year we spend big. Then 2016 is the year we will be ready to compete...then 2017. Then 2021.
    No, they will probably start taking steps to improve things a little in 2014. Since the only significant salary coming off the books now is Santana, Jeff's excuse is nonsense. They haven't had to pay any penalty in the Madoff case yet. They're pretty deep in the black when you combine the Mets and SNY. They could spend now. But what do you expect? Fred and Jeff always lie.

The real reason they'll spend is phase 1 of the Willets Point plan, which includes substantial retail space, is supposed to open in 2016:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/111009993

So expect a bit of spending in 2014. 2015 might well be like 2005 with some big signings. The point of it all is to drive traffic to the mall. These guys are not Mets fans. They get a kick out of playing Mets fans for chumps.

Because they still don't spend on prospects and the draft, expect the same sort of teams as 5 years ago - teams good enough for "meaningful baseball in September" but no better. Most likely not very good teams top heavy with a few prime free agents, and bad depth.

In short I expect teams where many of the important parts will be slapped together over a short period to lure fans there to spend money, but too flawed to win championships. We've seen it before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    No, they will probably start taking steps to improve things a little in 2014. Since the only significant salary coming off the books now is Santana, Jeff's excuse is nonsense. They haven't had to pay any penalty in the Madoff case yet. They're pretty deep in the black when you combine the Mets and SNY. They could spend now. But what do you expect? Fred and Jeff always lie.

The real reason they'll spend is phase 1 of the Willets Point plan, which includes substantial retail space, is supposed to open in 2016:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/111009993

So expect a bit of spending in 2014. 2015 might well be like 2005 with some big signings. The point of it all is to drive traffic to the mall. These guys are not Mets fans. They get a kick out of playing Mets fans for chumps.

Because they still don't spend on prospects and the draft, expect the same sort of teams as 5 years ago - teams good enough for "meaningful baseball in September" but no better. Most likely not very good teams top heavy with a few prime free agents, and bad depth.

In short I expect teams where many of the important parts will be slapped together over a short period to lure fans there to spend money, but too flawed to win championships. We've seen it before.
    Do you ever get tired of smearing (couldn't think of a better word) the Wilpons and just want to talk about baseball? Just curious.
    Last edited by Claymation; 12-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast