Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Its 2012 2004 all over for the lakers?

Some similaritys.

the season started with the lakers getting togheter a "fantastic four" of future HOF players.

The offseason favourite topic was if that team could Beat Bulls Best record.

Everything looked promising.

Their Young star had an expiring contract that would get him to be a Unrestricted F.A after the season.

Their Old Star had one more season left on their contract.

Thats how season unfolded.

One of the new adquisitions, an old star battled with injury during the whole season.

The other old star found him lost in the new system he had never played ( triangle) and struggled mightly.

They started strugglin during the season and the record was FAR from what expected.

Old Star refused to pass the torch to the new star and ignored him on the court and tried every game to prove he still was the man.

Young star started to get disgruntled and threaten to leave, he also ballhoged the ring away in the finals.

The season eneded and Old star forced the F-O to either let the young one walk or trade him.

The young star stated that if the Old star wasnt traded he Would not sigh back .

See the similaritys?

Shaq= Kobe
    Kobe= Dwight
    Pau= Payton
    Malone= Nash.

What will 2012 F.O decide if Dwight and Kobe put them in the same situation?

Does kobe get the boot ? ( if they trade nash, artest, pau away for expirings and Amnesty kobe, they have the Caspace to Keep dwight go for Paul, and go for a big f.a in 2014).

vCash
    I think the Lakers started out that season 16-4 or something like that. Kobe raped a chick. Malone was injured. I think Shaq was even injured a little bit too.. That team still made the finals and im confident there is no team in the east that is as good as that pistons team was back then. I know that of all the top teams in the east, Doc Rivers is the only coach thats on Larry Browns level.

vCash
    Holy bleep, can we wait until Steve gets back and Dwight gets back to completely health please??!!

vCash
    The key is chemistry.

The idea that teams can just throw big name stars on a team and instantly play top notch basketball is a little far fetched. Look no further than the past USA Olympic Teams. Judging by rosters alone, it's hard to see how the US could have ever lost a game, let alone get bronze. The commitment level at the time was low, and players would skip previous games and just focus on the actual Olympic Games. Then they refocused and realized that these guys need to play together more often, and things have been good since then.

Remember that it's more important to play well later than it is to play well now. As excited everyone is to see this team fire on all cylinders, it's clearly not in the cards until they build some chemistry. Until then, people can waste all the time they want drawing old comparisons and complaining about things, but I'm holding my judgement until:

#1 The focus of the entire offense returns from injury (Nash)
    #2 Until after the all-star break.
    I'm a Lakers fan...BUT:

1) No I don't think Kobe > MJ

2) No I don't think LeBron sucks.

3) No I don't think it's funny to continuously make jokes about Charles Osborne.

vCash
    By the way, the Lakers will never amnesty Kobe. It didn't happen when you first brought it up a long time ago, and it's no closer to happening now.
    I'm a Lakers fan...BUT:

1) No I don't think Kobe > MJ

2) No I don't think LeBron sucks.

3) No I don't think it's funny to continuously make jokes about Charles Osborne.

vCash
    I think this is a unique situation that I cant compare to anything with regards to expectations and results/injuries. Similarities for sure but its not really that close.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    Lakers were 18-3 to start in 2004. They are 8-10 now, certainly not the same.

Maybe 2013 is the same as 2003 when the Lakers were 11-19 to start the season.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Nash coming back won't solve all problems.

vCash
    The '04 team made it to the finals. These guys aren't even at .500 yet. : /

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    Some similaritys.

the season started with the lakers getting togheter a "fantastic four" of future HOF players.

The offseason favourite topic was if that team could Beat Bulls Best record.

Everything looked promising.

Their Young star had an expiring contract that would get him to be a Unrestricted F.A after the season.

Their Old Star had one more season left on their contract.

Thats how season unfolded.

One of the new adquisitions, an old star battled with injury during the whole season.

The other old star found him lost in the new system he had never played ( triangle) and struggled mightly.

They started strugglin during the season and the record was FAR from what expected.

Old Star refused to pass the torch to the new star and ignored him on the court and tried every game to prove he still was the man.

Young star started to get disgruntled and threaten to leave, he also ballhoged the ring away in the finals.

The season eneded and Old star forced the F-O to either let the young one walk or trade him.

The young star stated that if the Old star wasnt traded he Would not sigh back .

See the similaritys?

Shaq= Kobe
    Kobe= Dwight
    Pau= Payton
    Malone= Nash.

What will 2012 F.O decide if Dwight and Kobe put them in the same situation?

Does kobe get the boot ? ( if they trade nash, artest, pau away for expirings and Amnesty kobe, they have the Caspace to Keep dwight go for Paul, and go for a big f.a in 2014).
    Its similar team talent wise, but heres the 'big' diff. from my angle

SHAQ-MALONE-PAYTON were never considered 'overrated/soft' as far as i can recall from fan/media masses,they just got old and decline like allgreats do

i know they may have choked in reg/playoff games(like all bigtime players do) but they have never had the overrrated or soft label like the new version of this LAKERsquad

i've heard DHOWARD overrated, i've heard KOBE overrated and same with GASOL being soft for yrs and how he couldnt win a round without KOBE

Thats a big reason to me why 04 version started out winning 16 of they first 20 or so and why this new version has won 8 out of they first 18 or so, but what do i know

Only reason they wont get rid of KOBE is because they drafted him, they got SHAQ/HOWARD via trade/free agent so it doesnt hold same value as drafting someone...but if HOWARD pulls a KOBE and says me or him,then maybe they go his direction since MIKE just said hes the 'franchise' player, or does that title still belong to the backupturnedstarter since PAU has flamed out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    I think the Lakers started out that season 16-4 or something like that. Kobe raped a chick. Malone was injured. I think Shaq was even injured a little bit too.. That team still made the finals and im confident there is no team in the east that is as good as that pistons team was back then. I know that of all the top teams in the east, Doc Rivers is the only coach thats on Larry Browns level.
    18-3 to be exact before that bum Scott Williams of PHX injured the Mailman.

vCash
    18-3 before the injuries started to pile up... and then Kobe's trial, and then Shaq being fat plus the feud with Kobe. That year was more of a mess than this one.

I can't judge these guys fully until Nash, Pau and Dwight get healthy. 3 of our top 4 players on a top heavy team are not healthy. Still no excuse for the lame start, we suck right now, I won't even debate that.

Lakers deserve one of these right now

vCash
    That year just broke down man, with legal trials, injuries, and chemistry breaking down. Are there similarities? A few I guess. But if Malone hadn't gotten hurt, they had a great chance, even with the hatred spewing over between Shaq and Kobe at the time, to still beat Detroit. As it stands, this current team doesn't look anything like a contender.

But I, and everyone else, should at least hold judgment until Nash comes back, the Gasol situation resolves itself, and we see how they look later in the season.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    ummm the '04 lakers , despite the chemistry issues,off court distractions and injuries ,were still really good! got off to a dominating start and held a near 700 win% for the season.these guys wish they were '04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast