Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Susan Rice is out of Secretary of State race

Embattled U.N. envoy Susan Rice is dropping out of the running to be the next secretary of state after months of criticism over her Benghazi comments.

“Today, I made the decision that it was the best thing for our country, for the American people that I not continue to be considered by the president for nomination of secretary of state,” Rice told NBC’s Brian Williams.

“I didn’t want to see a confirmation process that was very prolonged, very politicized, very distracting and very disruptive because there are so many things we need to get done as a country and the first several months of a second term president’s agenda is really the opportunity to get the crucial things done.”

Rice noted that President Obama’s second-term agenda included “comprehensive immigration reform, balanced deficit reduction, job creation.”

She added, “And to the extent that my nomination could have delayed or distracted or deflected or maybe even some of these priorities impossible to achieve, I didn’t want that and I much prefer to keep doing what I’m doing which is a job I love at the United Nations.”

The full interview with Rice will air on tonight’s “Rock Center With Brian Williams” at 10p/9c. Excerpts will also be broadcast on Nightly News at 6:30 pm ET.

Obama said in a statement that he accepted her decision and regretted “the unfair and misleading attacks” on Rice, who was considered a front-runner to replace Hillary Clinton as the nation’s top foreign policy official.

Criticism over remarks
    Rice has been under intense fire from Republicans for initially characterizing the Sept. 11 assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, as a spur-of-the-moment response to a crude anti-Muslim film.

“What happened in Benghazi was in fact initially a spontaneous reaction to what had just transpired hours before in Cairo, almost a copycat of the demonstrations against our facility in Cairo, which were prompted, of course, by the video,” Rice said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” five days after the attack.

“Opportunistic extremist elements came to the consulate as this was unfolding. They came with heavy weapons, which unfortunately are readily available in post-revolutionary Libya, and it escalated into a much more violent episode.”

As more details emerged suggesting it was a premeditated terrorist action, GOP critics accused Rice of misleading the public at the height of the presidential campaign.

She countered that she went with the best information available about the attack, in which Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed.

“I relied solely and squarely on the information provided to me by the intelligence community. I made clear that the information was preliminary and that our investigations would give us the definitive answers,” she said on Nov. 21 at the United Nations.

By then, Obama had already expressed strong support for Rice, warning Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) to stop slamming her and vowing to block her confirmation.

“They should go after me,” he said at his first press conference after his re-election.

Despite a series of closed-door meeting with Capitol Hill lawmakers to drum up support, Rice continued to face questions from senators key to her confirmation.

After a Nov. 28 sitdown with Rice, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said she couldn’t yet endorse the veteran diplomat and raised a new point of concern: her role in protecting American embassies in Kenya and Nairobi that were bombed by terrorists in 1998.

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) suggested Rice was seen as too much of an Obama loyalist and the GOP preferred “someone of independence.”

Attack on critics
    In her resignation letter to Obama, Rice took aim at her GOP critics.

“The position of secretary of state should never be politicized,” she wrote.

“As someone who grew up in an era of comparative bipartisanship and as a sitting U.S. national security official who has served in two U.S. Administrations, I’m saddened that we have reached this point, even before you have decided whom to nominate. We cannot afford such an irresponsible distraction from the most pressing issues facing the American people.”

Obama praised Rice as “an extraordinarily capable, patriotic, and passionate public servant.”

“While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first.”

McCain and Graham, among Rice’s loudest critics, said they would continue to press the administration on Benghazi.

“I respect Ambassador Rice’s decision,” Graham said in a statement. “President Obama has many talented people to choose from to serve as our next secretary of state.”

The withdrawal leaves Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) as a possible candidate for the job, and Republicans have said he would have a smoother run.

"I think John Kerry would be an excellent appointment and would be easily confirmed by his colleagues," Collins said last month.

Rice, 48, has been the United States’ permanent representative to the United Nations since 2009, after serving as a senior advisor to the Obama campaign, working at the Brookings Institution and holding other diplomatic and national security positions dating back to 1993.
    Link

Sounds like it's going to go to Kerry now.

vCash
    Just pathetic.

But hey, it makes sense that Republicans wouldn't want a Secretary of State that said things later proven to be untrue. We might get her and Colin Powell confused then.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    The irony is this. McCain, Lindsey, and Ayotte drove out someone who shares their interventionist views, to score a scalp, and will get someone whose world view is their opposite.

You know what they say about karma.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    As much as I didn't like Rice, I'd hav preferrred her to that flaming pile of human excrement that is John Kerry. That man is an elitist, self absorbed, self centered *** whole. Not an *** half, an *** whole.

Met him in Baghdad, twice. This is not the man we want as the diplomatic face of our country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    As much as I didn't like Rice, I'd hav preferrred her to that flaming pile of human excrement that is John Kerry. That man is an elitist, self absorbed, self centered *** whole. Not an *** half, an *** whole.

Met him in Baghdad, twice. This is not the man we want as the diplomatic face of our country.
    Self centered, self absorbed, and elitist pretty well describes most of the people I have met in those circles, so, he will fit right in. Now my meetings have been more with console generals and one ambassador, and never a foreign minister. So maybe things change as you move up the ladder.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post

I still can't figure out what her crime was exactly. She went with the briefings that were approved by the Intelligence community and had no reason to expect that they were outside of what she should say.

Unless it is our expectation that the UN ambassador would be privy to knowledge that she should be able and comfortable contradicting our Intelligence community, it seems like she got attacked on purely a partisan basis.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I still can't figure out what her crime was exactly. She went with the briefings that were approved by the Intelligence community and had no reason to expect that they were outside of what she should say.

Unless it is our expectation that the UN ambassador would be privy to knowledge that she should be able and comfortable contradicting our Intelligence community, it seems like she got attacked on purely a partisan basis.
    I would like to try to avoind the Mongolian cluster **** that was the Benghazi thread, so if this goes sideways dbronc, please delete this. But given her expertise, she should have known that story was bullpucky. She should never have gone out there and towed that party line with the information she was given.
    Last edited by Patsfan56; 12-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.

vCash
    I agree the republicans were going to ask for a scalp, but there is plenty of blame here on both Republicans Obama and Rice herself. She's a sacrificial lamb.

I think for the good of the nation Obama should find someone better than Kerry that's for sure.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Just pathetic.

But hey, it makes sense that Republicans wouldn't want a Secretary of State that said things later proven to be untrue. We might get her and Colin Powell confused then.
    or defending a current SOS(at the time), like Condoleeza Rice...

...but hey the result was "only" going to a war that costs trillions, and killed thousands of our troops(and killing/displacing hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians), based on a continuous string of lies. It's different because of the letter next to her name.

Susan Rice's problem was that she was told to go out and parrot the CIA talking points she was given. If she doesn't do that, she loses her job and any shot at SOS anyway.

and yes, John Kerry is a douche.

vCash
    I say we replace Hillary with Bill and call it good. Is that even possible with the 22nd Amendment?

vCash
    I don't know that it had as much to do with Benghazi as some of her past associations. I know when they start vetting you for these positions they look at the whole career of work and some of the Africa stuff is pretty bad imo.

http://nazret.com/blog/index.php/201...rinity?blog=15

You take all that in and wonder why the current administration gave her the position they did, at least it made me wonder that.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I don't know that it had as much to do with Benghazi as some of her past associations. I know when they start vetting you for these positions they look at the whole career of work and some of the Africa stuff is pretty bad imo.

http://nazret.com/blog/index.php/201...rinity?blog=15

You take all that in and wonder why the current administration gave her the position they did, at least it made me wonder that.
    If in fact the public statements had been about her actual work, critical or not, I would have found them fair and proper. But the viciousness of the attacks about something she had no line authority or even tertiary responsibility, to attack the intellect of a Rhodes Scholar with a doctorate from Oxford, to personally malign her, was just wrong.

vCash
    The attacks against Susan Rice were despicable, inappropriate and wholly inaccurate. Shame on John McCain and his allies for this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsAndrew25 View Post
    The attacks against Susan Rice were despicable, inappropriate and wholly inaccurate. Shame on John McCain and his allies for this.
    Agree, it was politic at it's worse. Unfortuantly, politic at it's worse is becoming a every day thing.