Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

4 Team Blockbuster in the works?

A variety of three-, four- and even five-team trades are in play at the winter meetings, mostly involving the same clubs and same principal players, according to major-league sources.

The clubs: Arizona, Cleveland, Texas and Tampa Bay.

The principal players: Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, Rays right-hander James Shields and, most likely, Texas prospects.

One proposed deal, according to sources, would send Upton to Texas and Cabrera to Arizona, with Cleveland likely receiving a package of young talent, possibly including Texas infielder Mike Olt (Tampa Bay would not be part of that particular trade).

None of the deals was close as of early Wednesday morning, and none is likely to come to fruition, considering the difficulty of putting such trades together, sources said.

In fact, the number of players and prospects under discussion is so vast, some club officials involved in the talks are not even certain which combinations are alive and which are not.

The motivations, though, are fairly clear.

The Rangers want Upton. The Diamondbacks want a shortstop. The Indians want to turn expensive veterans such as Cabrera into younger pieces and the Rays want to trade a pitcher for a hitter.

However, all of the teams involved are talking to other clubs, and the Rangers also are pursuing the two biggest free agents, outfielder Josh Hamilton and right-hander Zack Greinke.

The signing of either player could force Texas to shift direction in trade talks the return of Hamilton, for example, would reduce the possibility of the Rangers trading for Upton.

Traditional two-team deals also are possible, sources said the Indians, for example, have discussed sending Cabrera to the Diamondbacks, and the Rays have discussed sending Shields to the Rangers.

Will any of the above happen? At this point, it cannot be said that any trade is likely. But there is no limit to the proposals that teams exchange at the meetings. And sometimes, a blockbuster is the result.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...shields-120412

The fact that so many blockbusters have happened over the past year makes me believe this could indeed happen. Plus, Rosenthal was the one who originally called the Cliff Lee for Roy Halladay deal.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Hmm....

Today and tomorrow are going to be sizzling.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    78-74

G: 136 | AVG: .250| HR: 4| RBI: 40| OBP: .299 | SLG: .303 | wOBA: .273 | wRC: 69

vCash
    Choo/Cabrera/Olt/Chris Perez to Rays
    Holland/Lee/Jimenez/Archer to Diamondbacks
    Upton to Rangers
    Bauer/Martin Perez/Cobb/Beckham/Reid B. and so on to Indians
    Last edited by mgsports; 12-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgsports View Post
    Upton to Rangers
    dude just stop

vCash
    Upton to Rangers
    lololololololol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    lololololololol
    lololololololol

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Upton to Rangers
    So the Rays get Choo, Cabrera, Olt, and Perez and all they give up is Archer, Beckham, Cobb, and Brignac?

Just stop with your trade proposals. Sorry, but they're pretty bad.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfrush90 View Post
    so the rays get choo, cabrera, olt, and perez and all they give up is archer, beckham, cobb, and brignac?

Just stop with your trade proposals. Sorry, but they're REALLY bad.
    ftfy

vCash
    Upton to Rangers
    Remind me again why the Rangers want to give up Holland, Perez AND Olt for just Justin Upton...

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Hmm, interesting. And apparently the Royals are involved now. I could see the deal being something like:

Rangers Get: Justin Upton

D'Backs Get: Asdrubal Cabrera and James Shields

Indians Get: Trevor Bauer/Tyler Skaggs, Mitch Moreland/Mike Olt, John McDonald/Cliff Pennington

Rays Get: Mike Olt/Mitch Moreland, Wil Myers

Royals Get: Derek Holland

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    Hmm, interesting. And apparently the Royals are involved now. I could see the deal being something like:

Indians Get: Trevor Bauer/Tyler Skaggs, Mitch Moreland, John McDonald/Cliff Pennington

Rays Get: Mike Olt, Wil Myers

The Royals are not going to give up Myers for Holland. I don't think Moore is that dumb. I really don't think the Indians are going to give up Cabrera and the main piece they get back is Bauer or Skaggs with some spare pieces in Moreland and McDonald/Pennington. And the Rangers will have to give up more than just Moreland, Holland, and Olt for Upton.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    The Royals are not going to give up Myers for Holland. I don't think Moore is that dumb. I really don't think the Indians are going to give up Cabrera and the main piece they get back is Bauer or Skaggs with some spare pieces in Moreland and McDonald/Pennington. And the Rangers will have to give up more than just Moreland, Holland, and Olt for Upton.
    Throw in some prospects then? I don't know. I was just taking a shot at speculation. You could probably switch Shields and Holland in their prospective final destination, but then I think the Royals would have to give up more and I don't think they're willing to trade Gordon/Butler/Moustakas. Maybe Hosmer though.

vCash

Indians Get: Trevor Bauer/Tyler Skaggs, Mitch Moreland/Mike Olt, John McDonald/Cliff Pennington

I wouldn't give up Olt, Moreland and Holland for Justin Upton. I'd give up a few more prospects, but Texas is trying to win now, so dealing 3 major league ready players now for 1 corner outfielder...no. I'd rather have Swisher for that price.
    Last edited by stipe1280; 12-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I wouldn't give up Olt, Moreland and Holland for Justin Upton.
    These are very conflicting. If I'm the Rangers, I'd do the deal and be thankful it didn't cost us Leonys Martin.

vCash

The Royals won't give up Myers for Niese or Dickey both much better then Holland.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast