Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ten takeaways from the first month

Ten takeaways from the first month

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...he-first-month

The first month of the season is in the books, and the 12-4 Knicks are holding down the top spot in the Atlantic Division. ESPNNewYork.com takes a look at the top 10 things we've learned so far about the Knicks, starting with No. 10:

10. The Knicks scouted Pablo Prigioni and Chris Copeland wisely. Both players dominated internationally. Kevin Wilson, the Knicks' main overseas scout who is well-respected throughout the league, took notice. Prigioni and Copeland immediately made an impression in the preseason with their playmaking. Now, with some injuries, they've been playing well in increased minutes.

[+] Enlarge
    J.R. SmithBruce Bennett/Getty ImagesJ.R. Smith has turned over a new leaf.
    9. Ronnie Brewer has filled in perfectly for Iman Shumpert. The Knicks not only needed a perimeter defender to replace the injured Shumpert, but also someone who could knock down the open shot off of Carmelo Anthony's penetration and double teams. Brewer currently has a 41.7 3-point percentage, while doing a little bit of everything else for the team.

8. J.R. Smith is focused. Recently, he admitted he partied too much last season. His mentality changed over the summer while working with his trainer, Idan Ravin, who told the shooting guard he never wanted to hear about his potential and so-called "wasted talent" ever again. Now Smith's consistency is more evident, and he's making smarter, quicker decisions.

7. Rasheed Wallace has been the biggest surprise. Make that in the entire league. After a two-year hiatus, he's playing like he never left. While his shooting percentages are below 40 percent, he has been making some clutch shots. But it's his defense that's been most effective, which is why Mike Woodson has been going with Sheed over Marcus Camby.

6. The Knicks recognize their roles, and the players and coaches are in agreement. When you look at the Wizards, for example, you might quickly say, "They stink." But it's much more than that. Every team has talent, but the right ingredients are players who know their job and feel good with how they're utilized. The veteran Knicks are on the same page.

5. Mike Woodson's blend of coaching and personality is contagious. How often do you see Woodson smile? That's because he takes things game to game. He's always keeping a realistic outlook with the media and his players, and they're the same way. But he also knows when to have some fun with the fellas. His old-school, tough-love demeanor is well-respected.

4. Amar'e Stoudemire hasn't even played yet. When Shumpert and Stoudemire are back, the Knicks will be the deepest team in the league. While critics focus more on whether STAT start or not, more importantly the team will have another legit scoring threat and his presence will create open shots for others. There's enough confidence in Woodson he'll make it work.

3. The two-point-guard backcourt in the starting lineup has come up huge. A fourth-best 102.9 points per game, and league-bests in turnovers per game (11.2) and average first-quarter scoring margin (plus-3.9). These are just a few of the numbers that prove why Raymond Felton and Jason Kidd's unique collaboration has greatly benefited the team.

2. Melo is playing like an MVP. While his offensive outputs are still mostly the same as previous seasons (26.6 points per game), he's improved his defense, hustle, 3-point shooting, focus, leadership and team-oriented attitude. And, of course, he's healthy. The NBA hasn't unveiled who the Player of the Month is yet, but don't be surprised if it's Melo.

1. The Knicks are for real. Most experts predicted the 9-8 Celtics to lead the Atlantic. But the Knicks are not only in front, they also only have one loss against a top team (Memphis), and only one other to a team under. 500 (Dallas). They've defeated the Heat, Sixers twice, Spurs and nearly beat the Nets. They meet the Heat again on Thursday night in Miami. Get ready.

KNICKS 2012/2013 = REBIRTH
    Lets talk some Knicks on Twitter @knicksupdate
    Knicks Past Knicks Future
    Originally Posted by StoicSentry
    "I hate rooting for the Knicks because of their connection with the Rangers. I never became a serious Knicks fan."

vCash
    yeah, that about sums it up for me

vCash
    Its a shame to get so much good info in one thread and not see a lot of traffic on this....

vCash
    Perfect summary of the first month. Update though........KNICKS ON TOP OF THE EAST ONCE AGAIN!!!!

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Missed one major pont, rotating in defense.

After The mike d years I never Thought I'd see that again. Rotations are incredible right now.

Watching the lakers right now, all I can say, glad that nonsense is over.

vCash
    Good read, liked the part about defined roles.

vCash
    Awesome summary. Knicks are legit this year!
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Missed one major pont, rotating in defense.

After The mike d years I never Thought I'd see that again. Rotations are incredible right now.

Watching the lakers right now, all I can say, glad that nonsense is over.
    Preach!

Mike D is not a coach. He installs a system, then stands back and watches with arms akimbo. Won't be long before the Lakers experience buyer's remorse.

Throwback Sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knick4Knack View Post
    Preach!

Mike D is not a coach. He installs a system, then stands back and watches with arms akimbo. Won't be long before the Lakers experience buyer's remorse.
    Haha agreed, all Dantoni does is yell "Lets GO" "Play Faster' like 100x a game.

vCash
    Lakers are already feeling the remorse. 8-10 is not what the lakers had in mind when they decided to spend 100 mil on this roster.

vCash
    Loved the article.

Dantoni's defense in the Lakers game last night was evident...absolutely none, good luck Lakers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RonE Coleman View Post
    Good read, liked the part about defined roles.
    Agreed. That was my favorite part. I hope we can maintain that when STAT comes back. A lot of confusion on the court when Melo, STAT, Tyson are all out there. Melo thinks too much. Right now he's just playing with his instincts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trini_knickfan View Post
    Loved the article.

Dantoni's defense in the Lakers game last night was evident...absolutely none, good luck Lakers!
    Also scrubs like Greg Smith putting up 20-10s on them. Glad those days are over. We used to get lit up by a different scrub every night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knick4Knack View Post
    Preach!

x2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RonE Coleman View Post
    Haha agreed, all Dantoni does is yell "Lets GO" "Play Faster' like 100x a game.
    Hilarious. So true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast