Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Protein Consumption & Other Advice

As some of you know from my other posts I've been getting back in the gym after being a year removed from being a workout regular due to graduating college/starting work. So I have some questions about protein intake...

I've seen a lot of people listing 1g per pound of body weight as an appropriate amount of protein to take in per day. That seems steep to me.

Back when I was in my good gym shape, I was taking in probably a little more than 50 grams a day, and it seemed to do the job fine. Now with that said, I wasn't really setting personal records for myself at the time, I was more just maintaining a look and feel that I was comfortable with.

But now, like I've said in my other posts, I'm not filling out my shirt the way I used to, my arms are a shell of what they were a year ago, and I just don't like it. So the goal I've set for myself is to have an upper body physique that's not just as good as it was in 2011, but better. I still work out my legs (I know a lot of you hate the guys at the gym who are in there doing arms and chest almost every day) but the weird thing is since I was a kid I've naturally had this stride where I walk kind of like on my tip toes, it's hard to explain without seeing it - anyway, it's kept my legs tone my whole life without requiring much effort on my part. That is to say, I've literally gotten compliments on my calves (no homo) as early as high school, and that was before I ever step foot in a weight room.

So, back on topic...my workouts spread out over the course of the week are primarily cardio/arms/chest/shoulders/abs with some back and legs mixed in now and then. And like I said, I want a muscular upper body better than what I had before, (which was really more of a toned slim than a muscular look). So I'm wondering if I really need to be upping my daily protein intake to my body weight (180-185 at 6'0) or if around 50 grams a day like I used to use to maintain what I had then would be ok. I'm honestly not leaning one way or the other so any and all input would be appreciated.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    You should try get at least 1 gram of protein per LBM (Lean Body Mass) not body weight, .45 of Fat grams, and fill the rest with carbs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    You should try get at least 1 gram of protein per LBM (Lean Body Mass) not body weight, .45 of Fat grams, and fill the rest with carbs.
    This. Assuming you are like 12% body fat your lean mass would be 163lb. So get at least 150-160g protein.

And I see no way you could only be getting 50g a day. If you eat a decent sized chicken breast that will be ~40g. What were you eating all day to only get 50g protein?

vCash
    Oh, I should've clarified. I meant to say I was only taking in ~50 grams in supplemental form. I wasn't really keeping track of how much I was taking in naturally.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Oh, I should've clarified. I meant to say I was only taking in ~50 grams in supplemental form. I wasn't really keeping track of how much I was taking in naturally.
    It doesn't matter if you where you get the Protein from. Whey is the same thing as food. You should track your overall macros daily. I would recommend an app like myfitnesspal assuming you have an iPhone or Android phone

vCash
    I would use an intra-workout drink (which are just BCAA's), I personally use AminoX by MusclePharm and have seen pretty decent increases in my exercises with less fatigue. I have tried others like Xtend and ON's version but have had the best luck with AminoX and it taste pretty good too.
    The Truth Hurts.

vCash
    there is no exact answer like jason is saying shoot for around 1g per pound LBM if you go over or under by a little don't worry about it

vCash
    This may sound funny, but i would consume protein until you start farting to much. Thats when I know my body has enough at that time.
    The Truth Hurts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone091 View Post
    I would use an intra-workout drink (which are just BCAA's), I personally use AminoX by MusclePharm and have seen pretty decent increases in my exercises with less fatigue. I have tried others like Xtend and ON's version but have had the best luck with AminoX and it taste pretty good too.
    I've heard a lot of conflicting things on intra-workout drinks. What would you say, specifically, are the noticeable differences that you've achieved with them?

And that goes for anyone else also, or if you have a different opinion on them I'd be curious to hear that too.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    I've heard a lot of conflicting things on intra-workout drinks. What would you say, specifically, are the noticeable differences that you've achieved with them?

And that goes for anyone else also, or if you have a different opinion on them I'd be curious to hear that too.
    I have noticed less fatigue about half way through the workout when Im sipping on aminos, the pre-workouts give you the nice burst during your lifts but it seems like the intras keep you from getting AS fatigued. If you work out hard without long breathers in between I highly recommend them. It seems like the third exercise for each muscle group that I'm doing that day just goes up a little easier. And, since I have been using aminoX I have not been as sore, and I know my workouts are just as good as before or harder.
    The Truth Hurts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone091 View Post
    This may sound funny, but i would consume protein until you start farting to much. Thats when I know my body has enough at that time.
    That could be the protein you were taking though. Some protein particularly concentrate can have that effect regardless of how much you take.

vCash
    Some dude at the gym today, who I guess recognized me (which was a little creepy in and of itself), came up and gave me a several minute lecture about the dangers of vigorously working my arms on consecutive days. I've heard similar stuff before but I've never really bought into it. Any of you guys subscribe to the idea that it's more harm than good?

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Some dude at the gym today, who I guess recognized me (which was a little creepy in and of itself), came up and gave me a several minute lecture about the dangers of vigorously working my arms on consecutive days. I've heard similar stuff before but I've never really bought into it. Any of you guys subscribe to the idea that it's more harm than good?
    The best defense is to ask "Do you work here" if they say yes, just shut up. If they say no...then say "Hey, **** YOU!!"

vCash
    Your bicep is the smallest muscle in your body. It gets hit on back and on arm day. No reason for more then that. Your triceps are a bit different. I throw in 4 sets of tris on chest day and then tris again on arm day.

To work arms consecutively is pointless and I would suggest finding a better regiment. As for the protein no one can answer the question for you. The best way to figure out what to put into your body is by calculating your bmr and your tdee then calculate your macros depending on what your looking to do whether its a bulk or cut. Look it up on the net

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rwynyc View Post
    To work arms consecutively is pointless
    Elaborate, please.

Not being snarky, just genuinely interested in the reasoning this belief.

Jill Garvey <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast