Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Subway rider, allegedly pushed, can't scramble off tracks in time

Itís a subway riderís worst nightmare: being pushed onto the tracks. On Monday, it happened in midtown Manhattan where, according to witnesses, one man shoved another in front of an oncoming train, which crushed the victim to death before horrified onlookers.

Police on Tuesday were still searching for the alleged pusher, who was captured on surveillance video seconds before the attack in a verbal altercation with the victim, who was identified as 58-year-old Ki-Suck Han of Queens, N.Y. The attack occurred about 12:30 p.m.

Witnesses, who included scores of people standing on the platform at the station on West 49th Street and 7th Avenue, said Han tried to scramble back onto the platform after landing on the tracks a few feet below, but he was crushed between the side of the platform and the Q train, which slammed on its brakes but could not stop in time
    RIP

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,2807824.story

vCash
    wow. wtf

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash

Photographer Takes Picture of Man Before Being Hit by Train

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ay-push-death/

Authorities said a suspect implicated himself Tuesday in the death of a New Yorker who was pushed onto subway tracks and photographed just before a train hit him -- an image that drew virulent criticism after it appeared on the front page of the New York Post.

Investigators recovered security video showing a man fitting the description of the suspect working with street vendors near Rockefeller Center, said New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne.

"The individual we talked to made statements implicating himself in the incident," Browne said.

Witnesses told investigators they saw the suspect talking to himself Monday afternoon before he approached Ki-Suck Han at the Times Square station, got into an altercation with him and pushed him into the train's path.

Play Video
    Police question man in NYC subway killing

Police took the man into custody Tuesday, but no charges are expected to be announced until Wednesday, Browne said. He has been identified as 30-year-old Naeem Davis, according to CBS station WCBS-TV in New York.

Han, 58, of Queens, died shortly after being struck. Police said he tried to climb a few feet to safety but got trapped between the train and the platform's edge.

Police sought information from hundreds of straphangers at the subway station and spent 20 minutes interviewing witness Leigh Weingus, WCBS-TV says.

"It was horrifying, it was terrible," she told the station, adding that people on the platform were yelling to stop the train because of the man on the tracks.

The Post published a photo on its front page Tuesday of Han with his head turned toward the train, his arms reaching up but unable to climb off the tracks in time. It was shot by freelance photographer R. Umar Abbasi, who was waiting to catch a train as the situation unfolded.

Abbasi said in an audio clip on the Post's website that he used the flash on his camera to try to warn the train driver that someone was on the tracks. He said he wasn't strong enough to lift Han.

"I wanted to help the man, but I couldn't figure out how to help," Abbasi said. "It all happened so fast."

Emotional questions arose Tuesday over the published photograph of the helpless man standing before the oncoming train accompanied by a headline that read in part: "This man is about to die."

The moral issue among professional photojournalists in such situations is "to document or to assist," said Kenny Irby, an expert in the ethics of visual journalism at the Poynter Institute, a Florida-based nonprofit journalism school.

Other media outlets chimed in on the controversy, many questioning why the photograph had been taken and published.

"I'm sorry. Somebody's on the tracks. That's not going to help," said Al Roker on NBC's "Today" show as the photo was displayed.

CNN's Soledad O'Brien tweeted: "I think it's terribly disturbing -- imagine if that were your father or brother." Larry King reached out to followers on Twitter, asking whether the newspaper "went too far?"

The Post declined to share the photo with The Associated Press for distribution.

Subway pushes are feared but fairly unusual. Among the more high-profile cases was the January 1999 death of Kendra Webdale, who was shoved to her death by a former mental patient.

After that, the New York State legislature passed Kendra's Law, which lets mental health authorities supervise patients who live outside institutions to make sure they are taking their medications and aren't a threat to safety.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday he believed that, "In this case, it appeared to be a psychiatric problem."

The mayor said Han, "if I understand it, tried to break up a fight or something and paid for it with his life."
    For anyone who doesn't live in nyc, there are large recessed tunnels right under the platform ppl stand on. If you stoop a little you can go right under them. Why this asian guy tried to climb up on the platform instead of just hiding under it is beyond me.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Why does the media publish the name of the suspect before any charges are even announced?

vCash
    Jeez this is my nightmare.

Credit to BurnOutBrighter from NeoGAF for the pic.

vCash
    that has to be the worst feeling stuck donw on the tracks with the train coming knowing theres nothing you can do. hopefully they covict the bastard that did it
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    Take a look at the title and picture of the New York Post yesterday, disturbing...

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jeffb...post-cover.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKnickFanatic View Post
    Take a look at the title and picture of the New York Post yesterday, disturbing...

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/jeffb...post-cover.jpg
    that guys should be arrested for taking a picture instead of helping him
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash

Exclamation Photog in NYC subway death responds to ethical criticisms

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    that guys should be arrested for taking a picture instead of helping him
    "The announcement had come over the loudspeaker that the train was coming ó and out of the periphery of my eye, I saw a body flying through the air and onto the track.

"I just started running. I had my camera up ó it wasnít even set to the right settings ó and I just kept shooting and flashing, hoping the train driver would see something and be able to stop.

"I had no idea what I was shooting. Iím not even sure it was registering with me what was happening. I was just looking at that train coming."
    http://news.msn.com/us/photog-in-nyc...cal-criticisms

vCash
    Man, I feel so bad for that guy. Imagine a train coming at you and you're feebly trying to scramble onto the platform...

Apparently the protocol is to run as far down the tracks away from the train as you can while waving your hands so the train conductor can hit the breaks and have more room to slow down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    Man, I feel so bad for that guy. Imagine a train coming at you and you're feebly trying to scramble onto the platform...

Apparently the protocol is to run as far down the tracks away from the train as you can while waving your hands so the train conductor can hit the breaks and have more room to slow down.
    If you look, there is plenty of room under the platform to protect yourself from the train. But many people panic and their first reaction is to get back on the platform.

My dad has always told me to never stand next to the edge and always have my back against the pillars or whatever, because of crazy people like that, randomly pushing someone over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKnickFanatic View Post
    If you look, there is plenty of room under the platform to protect yourself from the train. But many people panic and their first reaction is to get back on the platform.

My dad has always told me to never stand next to the edge and always have my back against the pillars or whatever, because of crazy people like that, randomly pushing someone over.
    When my dad and I used to go to New York when I was younger, he would always tell me to stand back too and if I can, hold on to a pillar. I still do that even now.

I don't **** around with trains.

vCash
    There's room around the tunnel for someone to squeeze away. I've been paying attention to that lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    When my dad and I used to go to New York when I was younger, he would always tell me to stand back too and if I can, hold on to a pillar. I still do that even now.

Same here. And for our dads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post

I just stand behind the yellow line, whilst I brush my fingertips on the passing train.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast