Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    woah that's a lot of money and years for a 37 year old. not my money though so who cares... glad to have him back!
    Tottenham Hotspur
    San Francisco Warriors
    San Francisco Giants
    San Francisco 49ers

vCash
    Well, it’s not the 15 years, three-thousand-million dollars that Marco Scutaro asked for after the championship parade. But it’s a heck of a deal nonetheless for a player who turned 37 two days after the postseason and has made a total of $22 million up to this point of his career.

After a strong second half and a stunning postseason, Scutaro signed a three-year, $20 million deal on Tuesday night. You can find the details in my updated winter meetings story. For now, since it’s kinda late over here, a few scattered thoughts:

— The Giants had three priorities as they entered the offseason: Jeremy Affeldt, Angel Pagan, Marco Scutaro.

Affeldt quickly got $18 million over three years. Pagan got $40 million over four years as soon as they came to the winter meetings. Scutaro just got $20 million over three years. Yes, that’s $78 million doled out to three veteran players, but the Giants really, really wanted to get the team back together, and they have.

Will it work? We’ll see. But you can’t blame the Giants for wanting to reunite the group that caught fire in August, and ultimately, that money might not look so large when all the wheeling and dealing is done this offseason. (On that note, it’s amazing how many teams here are scrambling to make their opening moves while the Giants pretty much just completed their roster.)

— What’s next? The Giants want a right-handed bat to complement Gregor Blanco in left field, although we’ll have to see how much money they feel they have left after this deal. Larry Baer wouldn’t reveal an exact target figure, but said the franchise is expecting to sail into the $140 million-range.

The Giants now have the freedom to sit back and cherry-pick a veteran bat or two, maybe find a guy seeking a title, or one who sees an opportunity for playing time in San Francisco. Don’t expect a Nick Swisher type; the $78 million bill mentioned above should rule out the upper classes of the market.

The Giants have talked about bringing Ryan Theriot back, along with his strange hat collection. Theriot handled his August demotion with class, and at this stage of his career, a role as a utility infielder on a contending team is surely one of his better options. The Giants still could use a few extra arms in the bullpen, and will monitor Brian Wilson’s journey into free agency.

Soon, real soon, the focus will turn back to the MVP. The Giants have expressed a desire to sign Buster Posey to a long-term deal and it makes sense for Posey, too, given how quickly he nearly had his career taken away from him not too long ago.

— Aside from the money factor, the Giants don’t necessarily have to worry about the potential of Scutaro and Pagan aging quickly as their contracts play out. Their two best position player prospects are a center fielder (Gary Brown) and a middle infielder (Joe Panik), so there’s a level of coverage there.

— Looking forward to counting Scutaro’s swings-and-misses for a full season.

— Does this look familiar:

Pagan CF
    Scutaro 2B
    Sandoval 3B
    Posey C
    Pence RF
    Belt 1B
    Blanco LF
    Crawford SS

There’s your most common lineup from the run to a World Series title, and all of those guys are under team control. Everyone but Pence is under team control through the 2014 season. The Giants will eventually have to start worrying about their pitching staff again, and depending on what happens with Tim Lincecum and Barry Zito after this next season, they could need multiple starters. But that’s an issue for another offseason.

For now, the lineup is set. You can add a right-handed outfield bat, maybe swap Crawford and Blanco, or Belt and somebody. But the players are there. Now it’s up to Bochy to put them back in an order he likes, and for the players to execute. The front office got the band back together. The rest is up to the guys on the field.
    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/...medium=twitter
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Dodger fans are talking a Dee Gordon for King Felix straight up deal on the NL West Trash Talk on FaceBook, pretty sure I spotted Mr. LA in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    I'm really disappointed that that we're standing pat again. Really disappointed.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    Dodger fans are talking a Dee Gordon for King Felix straight up deal on the NL West Trash Talk on FaceBook, pretty sure I spotted Mr. LA in there.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Precisely how I felt, LMAO'ing the Scutaro deal then proceed to talk about Dee ****ing Gordon straight up for King Felix who is a top 3-5 pitcher in all of MLB
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

You want to go first?

vCash

You want to go first?

vCash
    So they're going to get Josh Hamilton, Anibal Sanchez, Kyle Lohse, and Cliff Lee or James Shields?

And I think the Rays would want more than just prospects............They're still in contention..............

Ariana Grande

vCash

You want to go first?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    So they're going to get Josh Hamilton, Anibal Sanchez, Kyle Lohse, and Cliff Lee or James Shields?

And I think the Rays would want more than just prospects............They're still in contention..............
    Bringing logic into this just ruins the WS parade they are hosting in April.

You want to go first?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greedy22 View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw that. I guess baseball just happened to mysteriously disappear in 2009 and 2010 (regarding Angel Pagan).

Ariana Grande

vCash
    I'm really disappointed that that we're standing pat again. Really disappointed.
    Sabean does most of his magic at the trade deadline.
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    As am I my friend. There are a select few that can actually see the oppurtunity we have here with our pitching. Sabean gets all the credit, but everything goes to the pitchers. Without them, this offense is marginal at best and finishes closer to last than first. I would even be happy with someone like Ludwick in LF. The last three in our order KILL ME, and they did in the World Series as well. We got lucky pulling out some of those 3-2 games. This team squeaks runs across and wins. Imagine if they could put 4-5 on the board every night. It's sad to see this continuing trend, but I really can't complain since we have won twice out of three years. I just really want a bopper in LF. That's all i ask for.

vCash
    ^I agree. If anything isn't working by the trade deadline, I'm sure we'll be dealing for whatever it is that the team needs.

I'm not disappointed that nothing changes. Only thing the team needs to have is that hunger to win another title.

vCash
    Maybe next year with 42 mil coming off the books with Timmy and Zito, we'll finally get our bat.... Prob not, but i can pretend for the next year I hope a few of the younger starting pitchers mature this year so we can fill the rotation out cheaply. Anyone know off the top of their head what Volgy's option amount for next year is?
    Last edited by Orange&Black55; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast