Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    wouooooow lakers win a road game time for a party

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1 View Post
    I find it funny that people blame Jim buss. He brought you Kobe and Dwight, which is who everybody wanted. It ain't all fun and games now so you blame him.
    I'msorrywhatnow? He brought Kobe? He was the mastermind behind Jerry West's decisions, too? Calling shots from his horse-stable lair?

Also, I give him no credit for getting Dwight, since the Lakers probably could've gotten Dwight or another good deal for Bynum sooner, and without undermining the team's focus on winning by insisting that Bynum have a bigger role in the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMgl View Post
    I'msorrywhatnow? He brought Kobe? He was the mastermind behind Jerry West's decisions, too? Calling shots from his horse-stable lair?

Also, I give him no credit for getting Dwight, since the Lakers probably could've gotten Dwight or another good deal for Bynum sooner, and without undermining the team's focus on winning by insisting that Bynum have a bigger role in the offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart1 View Post
    When I say he brought you Kobe, I mean he kept Kobe around at all costs.......for those of you who love Kobe so much
    Um, no.... He's the one who jeopardized the last two championships by trying to throw Kobe under the bus in 2006, setting off Bryant's tyrades and trade demands. He is not known as a "keep Kobe at all costs" guy. It was others in the organization who more strongly favored Kobe, and for that "those who love Kobe so much" (presumably Laker fans who like championships) are thankful.

This is silly. Some people try to give Jim Buss credit for everything, even when his point of view is well-documented. If it were all left up to Jim Buss, the Lakers would not have their last two championships.

vCash
    Um, no.... He's the one who jeopardized the last two championships by trying to throw Kobe under the bus in 2006, setting off Bryant's tyrades and trade demands. He is not known as a "keep Kobe at all costs" guy. It was others in the organization who more strongly favored Kobe, and for that "those who love Kobe so much" (presumably Laker fans who like championships) are thankful.

This is silly. Some people try to give Jim Buss credit for everything, even when his point of view is well-documented. If it were all left up to Jim Buss, the Lakers would not have their last two championships.

I would love to see if you could even try to explain that.

vCash
    Blaming Buss is so childish, He did his part its up to the players to the the rest.

vCash
    The thing that's disappointed me most about analysis of the Lakers' struggles the past few weeks -- both here and in the media -- is that everyone seems to be looking for a single reason rather than acknowledging that multiple factors are at work. I don't know if that's laziness or stupidity, but it should be clear to everyone by now that there's no single fix to what's ailing the Lakers.

Here are my top five reasons why the Lakers are having trouble getting into a groove:

1. Perpetual Chaos
    Between injuries and coaching changes and roster moves, the Lakers look more like a crazed reality show than a stable sporting franchise. Every basketball fan understands that after talent there's nothing more important than chemistry, familiarity and trust, and the Lakers haven't have a chance to develop any of that.

2. Point Guard
    Kobe is a great player, no question. But he's constitutionally incapable of doing the things that need to be done to run an offense. His brain is hard-wired to attack, and for 30,000 understandable reasons he believes he'll usually be successful. But that's not what the team needs all the time, and until there's a point guard on the floor that can control the game the Lakers are going to be all over the place.

3. Nash's Shooting
    Leaving aside his point guard duties, there may not be a better shooter in the history of the league at the point guard position. Not having Steve Nash's high-percentage scoring means lower efficiency and more transition buckets for the other team. Turnovers aren't just balls that someone throws out of bounds: they're missed shots that turn into rebounds that turn into fast breaks and dunks.

4. Howard/Defense
    Over the past couple of games Howard has looked really strong. Gone are those games where he plays a quarter or two and then disappears, and I'm chalking that up to his back getting stronger and stronger. He's starting to consistently dominate on the defensive end, and until lately he simply wasn't physically capable of doing so. The more he takes over as the defensive stopper, and demands that other players step up, the better we'll be.

5. Everybody Else
    If the Lakers get the first four things fixed like a well-oiled machine, then yes -- blathering on and on about Pau and Jamision and Meeks and Blake and Metta will be important. But right now none of those players can make the Lakers consistently competitive, and if you really believe they can I think you're giving too many factors a free pass while picking on peripheral issues.

The Lakers don't have one problem, they have multiple problems that have all compounded each other. I honestly feel that the last game was the best win of the season because the Lakers struggled early, then found a way to lock down the other team while opening up their own offense. Can they beat OKC that way? Probably not, but for the first time all year I think they know how. As long as they keep showing progress as a group, I'm satisfied.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKERMANIA View Post

I would love to see if you could even try to explain that.
    Simple. When his previous coaching hire failed within less than a season (not Mike Brown, but Rudy T. He's the one who lasted less than a season before the most recent one that lasted less than a season), it is well-documented that Jim Buss did not want to re-hire Phil Jackson. No Jackson, no rings.

vCash
    Simple. When his previous coaching hire failed within less than a season (not Mike Brown, but Rudy T. He's the one who lasted less than a season before the most recent one that lasted less than a season), it is well-documented that Jim Buss did not want to re-hire Phil Jackson. No Jackson, no rings.
    Well documented by who?

vCash
    Who do we blame now???

Yo mamma *****...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    The thing that's disappointed me most about analysis of the Lakers' struggles the past few weeks -- both here and in the media -- is that everyone seems to be looking for a single reason rather than acknowledging that multiple factors are at work. I don't know if that's laziness or stupidity, but it should be clear to everyone by now that there's no single fix to what's ailing the Lakers.

Here are my top five reasons why the Lakers are having trouble getting into a groove:

1. Perpetual Chaos
    Between injuries and coaching changes and roster moves, the Lakers look more like a crazed reality show than a stable sporting franchise. Every basketball fan understands that after talent there's nothing more important than chemistry, familiarity and trust, and the Lakers haven't have a chance to develop any of that.

2. Point Guard
    Kobe is a great player, no question. But he's constitutionally incapable of doing the things that need to be done to run an offense. His brain is hard-wired to attack, and for 30,000 understandable reasons he believes he'll usually be successful. But that's not what the team needs all the time, and until there's a point guard on the floor that can control the game the Lakers are going to be all over the place.

3. Nash's Shooting
    Leaving aside his point guard duties, there may not be a better shooter in the history of the league at the point guard position. Not having Steve Nash's high-percentage scoring means lower efficiency and more transition buckets for the other team. Turnovers aren't just balls that someone throws out of bounds: they're missed shots that turn into rebounds that turn into fast breaks and dunks.

4. Howard/Defense
    Over the past couple of games Howard has looked really strong. Gone are those games where he plays a quarter or two and then disappears, and I'm chalking that up to his back getting stronger and stronger. He's starting to consistently dominate on the defensive end, and until lately he simply wasn't physically capable of doing so. The more he takes over as the defensive stopper, and demands that other players step up, the better we'll be.

5. Everybody Else
    If the Lakers get the first four things fixed like a well-oiled machine, then yes -- blathering on and on about Pau and Jamision and Meeks and Blake and Metta will be important. But right now none of those players can make the Lakers consistently competitive, and if you really believe they can I think you're giving too many factors a free pass while picking on peripheral issues.

The Lakers don't have one problem, they have multiple problems that have all compounded each other. I honestly feel that the last game was the best win of the season because the Lakers struggled early, then found a way to lock down the other team while opening up their own offense. Can they beat OKC that way? Probably not, but for the first time all year I think they know how. As long as they keep showing progress as a group, I'm satisfied.
    What analysis?

I've been on this board much less time then you and about 95% of the posters here react purely on emotion.

But there are a few choice posters who provide some analysis...and its fun reading those. I certainly do not listen to anything the media says. They are ALWAYS 2-3 steps behind the real issue or overly generic.

Anyway, all your points above are correct and I felt the same way about the last game. The "perpetual chaos" may be improving.

I'm also hoping Gasol comes back with improved play due to injury or attitude. Unlike others I was fine with what he was doing and expected him to get better but you could tell the situation was getting to him.

I've stated all along there is nothing wrong with the roster and they can win a title with it but there could certainly be some tweaks made.

The issue with Nash's shooting and him being on the floor is a big one. I really want to see him with the ball not only because of his passing and decision making but because he draws FOCUSED attention from the defense. You have to double or trap the pick and roll with him. You have to.

And Nash has never played with a creative offense player like Kobe on his team or an athletic center like Howard that also must be FOCUSED on hard while Nash is running the pick and roll. The defense has to give up something and right now the defense is giving up the jumper to the point guard most often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKERMANIA View Post
    Well documented by who?
    Are you fecking kidding me? Are you new?? I can't be bothered to look them up for you. Read Roland Lazenby or adrian wojnarowski, just to name TWO of the MANY respected journalists who have written on the subject.
    Last edited by MickeyMgl; 12-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.

vCash
    Are fecking kidding me? Are you new?? I can't be bothered to look them up for you. Read Roland Lazenby or adrian wojnarowski, just to name TWO of the MANY respected journalists who have written on the subject.
    So you don't know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    i somehow expect to lose agaisnt NO and WIN against Thunder.

We are so disfunctional a team that is perfectly possible.
    For once crooner I have to Agree to Agree. Were not gettin blown out tonite at all. But of course im one of those crazy fans that believes we will win everytime L.A steps on the cout. as history has shown....Ive been wrong before

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ldawg View Post
    Blaming Buss is so childish, He did his part its up to the players to the the rest.
    Exactly. Its not even the players fault. we FRIGGIN HAVE A NEW COACH AGAIN! Its not like it was with brown when we didnt win at all..... We are seing progress in action. let it gel people let it gel.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast