Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Let us not assume tht LBJ is number one. I think that is up to debate. It really depends on what level of excellence James maintains over the next few season and what kind of success he brings to the people around him.

That said, I will address the question at hand.

Can he? Yes, he could. That doesn't mean he will. Even if he plays at his current level for another ten season I would be hesitant to say yes. That would mean he maintianed his high level of play longer than Bird, but Bird was, aside from being a great scorer, and certainly a better shooter than Durant, was also a much better rebounder and play maker. Durant would have to improve his game to be in that conversation.

That said he is rebounding the ball very well this season, and judging from the box-scores i would say it seems like he is putting out the effort to be a play maker as well. I hope this works out and he develops that skill.

So yes... he could, but I haven't seen the kind of all-around game from Durant that would leave me to believe it WILL happen. But he is making the efforts to improve his game. We'll see where it goes over the next couple of season. Who knows, Durant may pass LBJ as well.
    You say that Larry was "certainly a better shooter than Durant". Then Lebron? Yes. But what makes you say that about Larry over Durant? Certainly not the numbers as KD shoots now.

As to the question. Yes, of course. He's already a legendary talent and has proven to have the work ethic to match. But he needs to have a long and storied career ahead of him to make that happen. And I do not put LBJ over Bird yet. Relative equals I can deal with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meloman1592 View Post
    Lebron didn't even pass bird yet and we're talking about KD? Cmon
    Yet? It's NEVER going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    Lebron won a title last season didn't you know he is automatically the GOAT at SF now

Feel bad for bird a bit but I'll say this... If Larry Bird called up MJ and say hey lets play on the Celtics together or the Bulls then I might agree that LBJ is the GOAT at that position otherwise... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no!

Some already thing Lebron is greater than MJ
    How many HOFers did Bird play with? Last time I checked Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale were HOfers and voted as top 50 nba players of all time. Did Lebron James come close to having this type of support.

I hate when ppl use the excuse of oh Lebron James needed Wade/Bosh. KObe had Shaq, MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale/Parish, Erving had Malone...and LBJ has Wade.

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Durant has potential to be better than Bird, but he needs to match Bird's resume first.

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    Lebron won a title last season didn't you know he is automatically the GOAT at SF now

Feel bad for bird a bit but I'll say this... If Larry Bird called up MJ and say hey lets play on the Celtics together or the Bulls then I might agree that LBJ is the GOAT at that position otherwise... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no!

Some already thing Lebron is greater than MJ
    Yeah, imagine if Bird did what Miami did and recruited MJ and Karl Malone...and then two years later they added Reggie Miller. Kind of a late 80's version of the Miami Heat. That would be something....kind of wish they tried that one year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MTL View Post
    How many HOFers did Bird play with? Last time I checked Robert Parish and Kevin Mchale were HOfers and voted as top 50 nba players of all time. Did Lebron James come close to having this type of support.

I hate when ppl use the excuse of oh Lebron James needed Wade/Bosh. KObe had Shaq, MJ had Pippen, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale/Parish, Erving had Malone...and LBJ has Wade.
    Yes, thank you. I agree... It's such a cop-out to discredit Lebron. Everyone wins with amazing supporting casts, that's how basketball works.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder-Sooner View Post
    When did James pass Bird?
    Quote Originally Posted by --23-- View Post
    i was thinking that also.
    I was thinking that by the time Durant has a case against Bird, Lebron would have proven himself to be the best SF ever.

vCash
    eeck, way too early for that question.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    You say that Larry was "certainly a better shooter than Durant". Then Lebron? Yes. But what makes you say that about Larry over Durant? Certainly not the numbers as KD shoots now.

As to the question. Yes, of course. He's already a legendary talent and has proven to have the work ethic to match. But he needs to have a long and storied career ahead of him to make that happen. And I do not put LBJ over Bird yet. Relative equals I can deal with.
    I assume you believe LeBron will indeed pass Bird?

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Lebron Honestly isn't that far off of Bird. Really a few more seasons of normal Lebron James play and a championship and it is a wrap. You can make a serious case against him my all time favorite Kobe and many of the other greats.

I'm not even a James fan I always root against him, but it is hard to hate his game.

As to the question KD has the potential, but lets see how healthy he can stay over the next 10 years.
    One of the most overused sayings on this forum

"and its not even close" When in reality it is quite close.

vCash

I blacked out anything that makes it obvious who Durant is, including win shares. LeBron and Bird are pretty close in WS - with LeBron having more OWS and Bird more DW.

I think I know who'd I'd pick if I were just looking at the raw numbers, but they're pretty close. I think it's safe to say that KD isn't in the discussion yet, so comparing accolades between LeBron and Bird, and well, it's pretty close.

Bird played 13 seasons, this is LeBron's 10th. LeBron will be making his 9th straight ASG. Bird made it 12 times, only not making it in 1989, when he missed essentially all of the season.

Bird won 3 championships, and lost twice in the Finals. He has two NBA Finals MVPs.
    LBJ has won 1 championship, and also has lost twice. He has one NBA Finals MVP.

LeBron and Bird are both 3 time NBA MVPs.

If you really think LeBron can't surpass Bird, I'm not sure you're thinking straight. He certainly CAN. His numbers are as good, if not better than Bird's. He'll end up playing more season, thus accumulating more counting stats (which some people care about too much). He'll have more shots at rings, MVPs and Finals MVPs. He could finish more decorated too.

KD isn't close, because he doesn't have the individual accolades, or event the stats (hint: he's B, Bird is A and LBJ is C). But he's got a TON of time, and just about all the talent in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

I blacked out anything that makes it obvious who Durant is, including win shares. LeBron and Bird are pretty close in WS - with LeBron having more OWS and Bird more DW.

I think I know who'd I'd pick if I were just looking at the raw numbers, but they're pretty close. I think it's safe to say that KD isn't in the discussion yet, so comparing accolades between LeBron and Bird, and well, it's pretty close.

Bird played 13 seasons, this is LeBron's 10th. LeBron will be making his 9th straight ASG. Bird made it 12 times, only not making it in 1989, when he missed essentially all of the season.

Bird won 3 championships, and lost twice in the Finals. He has two NBA Finals MVPs.
    LBJ has won 1 championship, and also has lost twice. He has one NBA Finals MVP.

LeBron and Bird are both 3 time NBA MVPs.

If you really think LeBron can't surpass Bird, I'm not sure you're thinking straight. He certainly CAN. His numbers are as good, if not better than Bird's. He'll end up playing more season, thus accumulating more counting stats (which some people care about too much). He'll have more shots at rings, MVPs and Finals MVPs. He could finish more decorated too.

KD isn't close, because he doesn't have the individual accolades, or event the stats (hint: he's B, Bird is A and LBJ is C). But he's got a TON of time, and just about all the talent in the world.
    My problem with a stat comparison is Bird played during an easy offensive era ar least statisically. I think KD right now as a player is close to Bird if not better, if you are talking about career achievements there obviously a big gap for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    2 years ago, this team was worth 650 million dollars. Derrick Rose has played ten games since and now this team is worth a billion dollars. Clearly, it's Tom Thibodeu.

vCash
    Anything is possible in the future. Durant is a great player but not as great as Bird at this point in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSox219 View Post
    My problem with a stat comparison is Bird played during an easy offensive era ar least statisically. I think KD right now as a player is close to Bird if not better, if you are talking about career achievements there obviously a big gap for now.

Fair enough. And I don't necessarily disagree. He might have years where he's individually a better player, and he might already be, but to pass Bird (I can't see how he ever passes LeBron) to become the 2nd best SF of all time means a lot of work for him to do. Those accolades mean too much to too many people.

I think LeBron has already had about 6 regular seasons better than Bird's best. KD might have a few (I can't look it up now). Talent-wise, these two guys might already be there.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ass View Post
    Do you think Durant can eventually surpass Larry Bird to become 2nd best SF of all time? (1st being Lebron)
    Never. Ever. Nor is Lebron better than Bird. Typical NBA forum troll thread. What a joke. Lerbron doesn't even break the top 10. Probably never will. Way to show your age.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast