Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2012/09/...ar-again-list/

I hate Dameshek, but some of these are good.

I don’t need to hear that Ryan Tannehill played wide receiver in college.

» That Brandon Weeden played baseball.

» That Russell Wilson isn’t six feet tall.

» I don’t need to hear that Andrew Luck already looks like a five-year vet. And I definitely won’t be able to stomach headlines after Colts games declaring the team was either “Luck-y” or “Unluck-y.”

» I don’t need to hear Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard.

» I don’t need to hear that Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Jimmy Graham played basketball in college.

» Or that Jared Allen hunts.

» I don’t need to hear that the only statistic that matters is the final score. If that’s true, then please stop showing all those other statistics.

And more saying an NBA prospect can score the basketball. We’re sports fans. If you tell us a basketball player can score, we’ll assume you’re talking about the basketball.

» And when we’re watching golf, you don’t need to tell us that a good shot is a good golf shot. That is, unless you’re talking about John Daly at the 19th hole.

» I don’t need to hear that a team would have the top seed in the playoffs if the season ended today. Unless you have some inside information about a league’s secret plans to call off the rest of the season, the point is moot.

» I don’t need to hear that fans’ towns with industrial roots have a deep appreciation for blue-collar football. Sure, it’s true, but what fans don’t like seeing their team push the other team around? Are you suggesting people in San Diego or Miami can’t stomach “smashmouth football”? And the opposite notion is just as silly. I’m fairly certain people in Detroit aren’t opposed to Stafford & Megatron’s pass-happy (“white-collar”?) brand of football as long it continues to result in their team winning.

I don’t need to hear Bill Belichick is a defensive genius. Not only have we heard it too many times, but his inability to exhibit that so-called genius over the past eight or so years -– especially last year — tells us it’s not true.

Before a playoff game, no more saying, “This one’s gonna come down to who wants it more.” Since the two teams have already gone through the trouble of getting to said game, I’m guessing they’d both really like to win it.

» And spare me the line about the players on the losing end of a playoff game having nothing to hang their heads about. Yes … yes, they do! After a year’s worth of personal workouts, preseason games, training camp and a long regular season, they’ve made it all the way to the playoffs and lost. If they’re not devastated, they’re robots.

» I don’t need to hear NFL analysts say “National Football League” 37 times in a two-minute segment. “N-F-L” will suffice. Or are they just doing that to fill time because they have nothing better to say? Hmmm

» I don’t need to hear a losing coach in a postgame news conference say, “I won’t make excuses,” then proceed to make excuses for the next 10 minutes.

» I don’t need to hear Tom Coughlin is the most underrated coach in the NFL. When you sing his praises during every game his team plays, by definition he’s no longer unsung.

» No more saying a guy “lacks natural ability but does all the little things right.” Please just say what you’re implying: he’s white.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I have 2.

Trent Dilfer's Super Bowl.

Any sort of reference comparing someone to JaMarcus Russell. That stopped being funny ages ago.
    Brady comparisons to Montana.
    Saying Marino is better than Montana.
    Johnson comparisons to Rice.
    Seahawks chances at the division. Ever again.
    Elite QB discussions without Gabbert.
    Elite QB discussions with Eli.
    Super Bowl losses as some sort of achievement.
    fantasy stats = good on the field.
    Last edited by lol, please; 12-05-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Had to throw one in there for wade>kobe

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/B-Hop/Ward/Rigondeaux/Wlad/Cotto/Froch/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Anything to do with the '72 Dolphins being undefeated and the best team ever unless you are bringing up their schedule and not playing anyone good. Tebow mania or Brett Favre coming out of retirement. Also, as much as I love them, I am sick of the '85 Bears defense being compared to every good defense the Bears have. They were a special group in a different era, but let's not pretend like they wouldn't get scalped in today's game.

vCash
    the phrase "elite"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    People that use qbr or passer rating that don't even understand how the formula was made/works.

The idea that a player showing up in the "clutch" is all that matters, even when they play mediocre the rest of the time.
    QBR actually sets a cap at how much clutch situation can actually affect the rating. That way it is accounted for, but does not completely negate what has been done in the rest of the game.

QBR is actually a great stat that people immediately discredit because it was created by ESPN.

Had a talk with PSK, and he taught me the ins-and-outs of the stat. It's actually a really solid stat that realistically deserves some praise.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownbears89 View Post
    http://davedameshek.nfl.com/2012/09/...ar-again-list/

I hate Dameshek, but some of these are good.
    I'm glad Dave Dameshek derided the "blue-collar" football nonsense. I get to deal with that stupid **** all the time, even though Pittsburgh hasn't been a blue-collar city for over 25 years. In fact, it's actually become one of the most white-collar metropolitan areas in the United States in terms of workforce composition. Despite this, it's only been within the last five years or so that the TV networks have stopped showing stock images of molten steel being poured. The "Pittsburgh" that everybody recognizes doesn't exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.com
    "The ethnic enclaves of Little Pittsburgh exist most poignantly in tailgate parking lots of away games," says Jim Russell, a Western Pennsylvania-born geographer who studies geopolitics and the relationship between migration and economic development. "That's where you see people doing the performances of culture. The blue-collar Pittsburgh that you see flashed on the screen during games exists only in Steeler bars and in the visitors' parking lot."
    Sure, Ben Roethlisberger probably could have played QB during the 1960's and 1970's, but right now he's flourishing as the leader of a timing/precision offense developed by Todd Haley. And the only "smashmouth" RB on the roster is Jonathan Dwyer. Chris Rainey is a speedster; Isaac Redman is a 'tweener, and Rashard Mendenhall is just soft. Does Troy Polamalu really strike anybody as "blue-collar" with his new-age physical training?

The Steelers play "black-collar" football, as far as I'm concerned, because black is the color of their jerseys.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    A black QB is automatically a mobile QB while white QB's aren't.

vCash
    Ok so if everyone follows all of the rules brought up in this thread from here on out....

This forum will be deader than Jovan Belcher.

vCash
    This is easily the best thread I've ever made.

I loved so many of these.

MORE!

#YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Stop fighting and say more awesome things.

How NFL announcers telling us all scoring play are reviews. Or that the yellow line is unofficial.
    For Jim Schwartz sake maybe people should keep saying that one first one.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Why talk about it when you can't change anything?
    If that's the case, why would we talk about any topic what so ever in sports?! That's a dumb statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    That Adderall is a PED. Ive taken it before, and I ended up waking up in an old folks home naked pissing blood all over some fake teeth. I highly doubt it would help me jump a route.
    Marijuana wouldn't help you either

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    "He needs to get his swag back"

vCash
    Jay Quitler

"Scrappy" or any synonym of scrappy

vCash
    I'd rather watch the game on TV then go to the game.
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast