Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the QBs

vCash
    You completely missed the point on Delhomme, but okay.

Yeah Sanchez. How about David Carr? Matt Cassell? Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell? Vince Young?

These guys aren't NFL starters or franchise QBs and teams tried to force (or hope) them to work. For the past three-five years you've known almost from the first game a rookie QB plays whether or not they've got the stuff to be a franchise QB. It's a pass happy/friendly league now.

Gabbert has shown me (and undoubtedly his coaches) anything that says he's a starter in the NFL in 1.5+ seasons.

The Jags will take a QB next April.
    Last edited by NCBoSoxfan21; 12-07-2012 at 08:43 PM.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    You completely missed the point on Delhomme, but okay.

Yeah Sanchez. How about David Carr? Matt Cassell? Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell? Vince Young?

These guys aren't NFL starters or franchise QBs and teams tried to force (or hope) them to work. For the past three-five years you've known almost from the first game a rookie QB plays whether or not they've got the stuff to be a franchise QB. It's a pass happy/friendly league now.

Gabbert has shown me (and undoubtedly his coaches) anything that says he's a starter in the NFL in 1.5+ seasons.

The Jags will take a QB next April.
    There was no "point" to be missed using Delhomme as an example. Most people didn't think he would ever be a starter when he came into the league. I don't know if he was even drafted. He only got into a handful of games his first five seasons. Vince Young won OROTY and went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Don't think anyone was calling him a flop then. Carr started for his first four or five seasons before the wear and tear got to him. Had some decent years on an awful team as well. You can look back now and say he underperformed, but it took a long time and a few serious injuries to sideline him. Also he was the first overall pick, which carries much higher standards of performance. Campbell had a similar start to his career. Looked pretty decent early on. Quinn was Offensive Player The Week this past week. Won the starter job and played a great game under terrible circustances. Cassell was a seventh round pick who didn't start a single game in college. He had some pretty impressive seasons in the league for someone with that background. You can't expect every quarterback drafted in the first round to go to the Hall of Fame. Certainly can't expect late round guys like Delhomme or Cassell to. What they have managed to do is way beyond expectation. Sanchez took the Jets to the playoffs his first two seasons and won several post season games. He is still only 25, so it's way too early to write him off. He looked a lot better than Stafford or Freeman from the same draft, as a rookie.

I really don't see what the "point" of any of your examples is. There are about half a dozen Pro Bowl appearances among the names you've thrown out.

vCash
    Alpha, I say this as a Jets fan who can empathize, so don't take this personally:

I think your standards of what a "good QB" is has been skewed by years of sub-par QB play. You see other quarterbacks make throws and say that you've seen Gabbert make that throw over and over again, which I'm sure he has. The difference between Gabbert and somebody like Tom Brady isn't very large, simply because of the fact that both are elite professional players (relative to the world as a whole). I'd argue that the difference between an elite QB and an average QB is only 5-7 throws/decisions per game, but it's those handful of throws that make the difference.

However, I will agree that the system a QB is in makes far more of a difference than fans will ever admit for the vast majority of QB's in the game, and the WR's/playmakers make a big difference as well. Who knows what would have happened to Alex Smith if Harbaugh had been there since day one? And I'd be willing to bet boatloads of money that Aaron Rodgers would not be as good as he is now if he had been taken by SF at #1 and Smith had gotten to sit on the bench for 3 seasons in GB.

vCash
    The guys you mentioned, Brady, Rodgers and Smith are probably better fits as far as comparisons for Gabbert, but Brady was a full year older than Blaine is now before he made his first start. Rodgers was nearly two years older than Gabbert is now. Smith had one less start at Blaine's current age, 17 Tds/27 Int, and a passer rating of 66. Gabbert has 21 Tds 17 Int, 71 passer rating so far in his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
    The guys you mentioned, Brady, Rodgers and Smith are probably better fits as far as comparisons for Gabbert, but Brady was a full year older than Blaine is now before he made his first start. Rodgers was nearly two years older than Gabbert is now. Smith had one less start at Blaine's current age, 17 Tds/27 Int, and a passer rating of 66. Gabbert has 21 Tds 17 Int, 71 passer rating so far in his career.
    So maybe Gabbert can aspire to be Smith, a guy who was replaced this year by a second round, second year QB who hadn't made a single start before this season.

vCash
    Blaine Gabbert got BENCHED FOR CHAD HENNE.

Live with it and stop trying to distort stats and use age as an excuse.

He's hot garbage and everyone but you on this planet has learned to accept that.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.

Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    There was no "point" to be missed using Delhomme as an example. Most people didn't think he would ever be a starter when he came into the league. I don't know if he was even drafted. He only got into a handful of games his first five seasons. Vince Young won OROTY and went to the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Don't think anyone was calling him a flop then. Carr started for his first four or five seasons before the wear and tear got to him. Had some decent years on an awful team as well. You can look back now and say he underperformed, but it took a long time and a few serious injuries to sideline him. Also he was the first overall pick, which carries much higher standards of performance. Campbell had a similar start to his career. Looked pretty decent early on. Quinn was Offensive Player The Week this past week. Won the starter job and played a great game under terrible circustances. Cassell was a seventh round pick who didn't start a single game in college. He had some pretty impressive seasons in the league for someone with that background. You can't expect every quarterback drafted in the first round to go to the Hall of Fame. Certainly can't expect late round guys like Delhomme or Cassell to. What they have managed to do is way beyond expectation. Sanchez took the Jets to the playoffs his first two seasons and won several post season games. He is still only 25, so it's way too early to write him off. He looked a lot better than Stafford or Freeman from the same draft, as a rookie.

I really don't see what the "point" of any of your examples is. There are about half a dozen Pro Bowl appearances among the names you've thrown out.
    Again, everyone knows he's garbage but you.

Stop using age as an excuse for sucking at football.

Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Again, everyone knows he's garbage but you.

Stop using age as an excuse for sucking at football.

9. 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM
    Reason
    Insults/Quoting deleted post

10. 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM
    Reason
    Insults/Quoting deleted post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    So maybe Gabbert can aspire to be Smith, a guy who was replaced this year by a second round, second year QB who hadn't made a single start before this season.
    Well, he has been better than Smith was to this point of his career. I'd settle for a better version of Smith, who is bigger, more athletic, and has a better arm.

BTW, Chad Henne's completion % and passer rating for the Jags are now both worse than Gabbert's this year.

vCash
    Well, he has been better than Smith was to this point of his career. I'd settle for a better version of Smith, who is bigger, more athletic, and has a better arm.

BTW, Chad Henne's completion % and passer rating for the Jags are now both worse than Gabbert's this year.
    False.

Gabbert 2012 passer rating. 77.4

Henne. 87.0

Nice try.

Let's do some more stats.

TD% Henne Not even close
    INT% Tied
    YPG Henne
    YPA Henne. Not even close
    Adjusted YPA. Henne
    YPC Henne
    Winning percentage Henne

Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Henne's numbers after today's game

Comp.% NFL QB Rating
    51.64 76.19

Record in which he has played majority of game - 1 W 4 L.
    Last edited by Alpha Dog; 12-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.

vCash
    Henne's numbers after today's game

Comp.% NFL QB Rating
    51.64 76.19

Record in which he has played majority of game - 1 W 4 L.
    And Blaine Gabbert was benched for this bum. So think about how bad he was.

Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    And Blaine Gabbert was benched for this bum. So think about how bad he was.
    False.

Nice try.

vCash
    False.

Nice try.
    It's true. Mularkey said regardless of the injury Blaine was benched for Chad Henne.

Blaine Gabbert has been benched.
    Gabbert's elbow injury has him questionable for Week 12, but coach Mike Mularkey said at Monday's presser he's been benched regardless. Unless Chad Henne utterly face-plants, it's likely the No. 10 pick of the 2011 draft a player GM Gene Smith traded up for has made his final start of 2012, and possibly his career. Gabbert simply hasn't been good enough through 691 career passes, completing just 372 of them (53.8 percent) while posting a 70.2 QB rating, 6.0 YPA and 21:17 TD:INT ratio. The Jaguars offense looked like it was out on bail after Gabbert was benched Sunday. Jimmy Clausen is going to have competition for No. 3 jobs in 2013.

Source: Rotoworld.com
    What did I say that was false again?

Gabbert was benched. Stashed on IR so they didn't have to deal with him. They know he isn't the future and the current coaching staff is going to wait for Gene Smith to get fired so the new GM can bring in a real future franchise QB and Mularkey will hitch his wagon to that QB so he doesn't lose his job waiting for Gabbert to (never) come along too.

Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    is tdjacksonville whatever his name is still trying to say Henne is on par with Andrew Luck?
    Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast