Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pats shot at setting all time points record

On July 14th (the 98 anniversary of the the start of WW I) I said:

I'm calling for this team to have the 7th best scoring offense of all time - above the 33.81 PPG 541 points of the '83 Redkins.

The '07 Pats are 2nd all time in average and 1st in total points at: 36.81 & 589.

Right now they are at:

472 points (36.3/game) and project to be:

581 points - just 7 short of the 2007 Pats.

With these opponents:

SF
    @ Jax
    Mia

and the possibility of bad weather/resting key starters in blowouts - can they do it? What do you think?

I think we've got the '83 Redskins 541/33.8 PPG. but '07? In the last 3 games of '07 we scored 86 points, that would leave us at 558 right in the middle of my guess and the '07 team, but good enough for #2 all time.

I'll take #2 all time all day if it means we take care of business this year.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Somehow AP and Manning are ahead of Brady in the MVP race though.

vCash
    I expect it is possible. 39 points per game is a lot though. I would be surprised if they didn't take the 2 spot from Green Bay, but 39 points a game is a daunting task.

Code:
    589 New England, 2007	589	472	117	39
    560 Green Bay, 2011	560	472	88	29.3
    556 Minnesota, 1998	556	472	84	28
    547 New Orleans, 2011	547	472	75	25
    541 Washington, 1983	541	472	69	23
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Regardless if this team gets the scoring record or not, I'll take the 2012 Patriots offense over 2007 every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent33 View Post
    Regardless if this team gets the scoring record or not, I'll take the 2012 Patriots offense over 2007 every day.
    Yeah. The running game is the difference.

Can you imagine if Gronk and AH were healthy all year, and Lloyd was in his 2nd year here?

Toss in a healthier OL...

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Can you imagine if Gronk and AH were healthy all year, and Lloyd was in his 2nd year here?

So glad they locked those two boys up long term.

Belichick and Scarnecchia will always be sure to have the OL as prepared as any other team's in the league. That's priority number one.

I'm actually hoping that the team and Welker can come to an agreement. May be slim, but where else is he going to be such a valuable weapon on a perennial championship contender with one of the best QBs in the history of the sport throwing him the ball.

I don't think Welker would take a big discount to return, but probably somewhere around $8M/yr for 3yrs? Little more than a $1M less than what he's making this season, but pretty reasonable IMO. Or they could just go after Edelman and let Welker go...I'd be somewhat sad, but hey Gronk and Hernandez are here to stay.

But now I'm rambling and off topic...I'll leave now

vCash

Pats shot at setting all time points record

I don't care if we break the records or not. I just know that before this season started, I knew this team would be far better as an offensive unit than in 2007. We were too one dimensional in 2007. We had two plays with no run game. This year is so much different.

vCash
    Forty points a game is to much ask considering the next opponent and Miami

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Pride View Post
    Somehow AP and Manning are ahead of Brady in the MVP race though.
    Don't get me started on that

If we grab that second spot on the all time list, it should help Brady's case, but I don't see anyone talking about it.

vCash
    The MVP race is complete nonsense at this point in the season, as they've already decided to give it to their golden child ; Peyton Manning.

In an interview with Mike Sando (NFC West writer ; ESPN MVP Watch) he was asked about Brady being the MVP after his consistent body of work and TD-INT ratio coupled alongside the fact that he leads one of the highest scoring offenses in NFL history. What followed when he was asked this question was one of the more puzzling things I've ever seen... He completely ignored it and starting talking about the New England "team".

It was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen on a Sports Website in my entire life. When the discussion switched to Peyton Manning, Sando began to slob on Peyton's knob for what seemed to be an eternity. Peter King (who I believe also has an MVP vote) , never mentioned Brady's amazing game or his earth shattering totals whatsoever in his next morning's article. However the day before this, he made sure to take the time to tell us how (and I quote) " I'll take the quarterback with the longest winning streak (eight games) and who's had the biggest adjustment to make of all the very good ones this year, schematically and physically, on a new team in a new city. For now, give me Peyton Manning."

So I have to beg the question ; when did a comeback from a prior injury become criteria to who wins the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER award. I'm pretty sure the "comeback player of the year" award should cover that criteria pretty well, and not the former. What really irritates me is how many reporters say "You can't do wrong with any of these guys for MVP" ... Umm... YES... YOU CAN. Brady is having a special season guys, and here are a few of the key reasons why Brady should win MVP that the media are choosing to ignore in order to keep the hype train on the Peyton Manning comeback story :

- The Patriots have NINETY SEVEN more points than the Broncos. A team statistic I know, but let's not forget who runs the offense in these situations.

- No wonder Brady has one less touchdown than Manning ; the Broncos have 7 rushing touchdowns to the Patriot's 20. I've watched a TON of Manning this year (my bro is a Colts fan and watches every Broncos game as well) , and when the Broncos get into the redzone it's a given that they're going to throw for the score. The Patriots actually mix it up within the 5 yard line, which makes me ponder ; if Brady wanted to, how many passing touchdowns could he REALLY have now ? I can't say the same for Manning.

- WE ACTUALLY BEAT GOOD TEAMS. At the moment, the Broncos have beaten ONE of the 11 other teams currently headed for a playoff spot(the 6th seeded Steelers), and have a 1-3 record against playoff teams this season.

- The numbers don't lie. Higher QB rating? Brady. Yards(irrelevant statistic) ? Brady. TD-INT ratio ? Brady. Int % wise, Manning gets buried alive by Brady. Manning has ONE more touchdown that Brady (and this is the most important point I'm going to make) but I'd trade that for the FIFTEEN OTHER TOUCHDOWNS that Brady drove his team down the field for , and the SIX LESS TURNOVERS he has, despite having MORE touches than Peyton. Brady ALONE (including rushing touchdowns) has more total TD's than Manning, why does it matter if he hands it off in more logical situations ?

Alas, Peyton Manning will get his sympathy votes and take home his 5th MVP award (his second undeserving one I might add ; 4002 yards, 27 TDs and 12 Ints in 2008 say hi) due to the overwhelming media bias. I'll never understand why somebody can't take a look at the bigger numbers and the bigger picture instead of basing it off of who's coming back from injury and who's not. The question for us Patriots fans is quite simple ; Brady is about to be robbed of his third MVP award...

What are we going to do about it ?

#PIMPINAIN'TEASY

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Next year. Welker gone. Deep threat opposite Lloyd. AH/Edelmen to the slot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather31 View Post
    The MVP race is complete nonsense at this point in the season, as they've already decided to give it to their golden child ; Peyton Manning.

In an interview with Mike Sando (NFC West writer ; ESPN MVP Watch) he was asked about Brady being the MVP after his consistent body of work and TD-INT ratio coupled alongside the fact that he leads one of the highest scoring offenses in NFL history. What followed when he was asked this question was one of the more puzzling things I've ever seen... He completely ignored it and starting talking about the New England "team".

It was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen on a Sports Website in my entire life. When the discussion switched to Peyton Manning, Sando began to slob on Peyton's knob for what seemed to be an eternity. Peter King (who I believe also has an MVP vote) , never mentioned Brady's amazing game or his earth shattering totals whatsoever in his next morning's article. However the day before this, he made sure to take the time to tell us how (and I quote) " I'll take the quarterback with the longest winning streak (eight games) and who's had the biggest adjustment to make of all the very good ones this year, schematically and physically, on a new team in a new city. For now, give me Peyton Manning."

So I have to beg the question ; when did a comeback from a prior injury become criteria to who wins the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER award. I'm pretty sure the "comeback player of the year" award should cover that criteria pretty well, and not the former. What really irritates me is how many reporters say "You can't do wrong with any of these guys for MVP" ... Umm... YES... YOU CAN. Brady is having a special season guys, and here are a few of the key reasons why Brady should win MVP that the media are choosing to ignore in order to keep the hype train on the Peyton Manning comeback story :

- The Patriots have NINETY SEVEN more points than the Broncos. A team statistic I know, but let's not forget who runs the offense in these situations.

- No wonder Brady has one less touchdown than Manning ; the Broncos have 7 rushing touchdowns to the Patriot's 20. I've watched a TON of Manning this year (my bro is a Colts fan and watches every Broncos game as well) , and when the Broncos get into the redzone it's a given that they're going to throw for the score. The Patriots actually mix it up within the 5 yard line, which makes me ponder ; if Brady wanted to, how many passing touchdowns could he REALLY have now ? I can't say the same for Manning.

- WE ACTUALLY BEAT GOOD TEAMS. At the moment, the Broncos have beaten ONE of the 11 other teams currently headed for a playoff spot(the 6th seeded Steelers), and have a 1-3 record against playoff teams this season.

- The numbers don't lie. Higher QB rating? Brady. Yards(irrelevant statistic) ? Brady. TD-INT ratio ? Brady. Int % wise, Manning gets buried alive by Brady. Manning has ONE more touchdown that Brady (and this is the most important point I'm going to make) but I'd trade that for the FIFTEEN OTHER TOUCHDOWNS that Brady drove his team down the field for , and the SIX LESS TURNOVERS he has, despite having MORE touches than Peyton. Brady ALONE (including rushing touchdowns) has more total TD's than Manning, why does it matter if he hands it off in more logical situations ?

Alas, Peyton Manning will get his sympathy votes and take home his 5th MVP award (his second undeserving one I might add ; 4002 yards, 27 TDs and 12 Ints in 2008 say hi) due to the overwhelming media bias. I'll never understand why somebody can't take a look at the bigger numbers and the bigger picture instead of basing it off of who's coming back from injury and who's not. The question for us Patriots fans is quite simple ; Brady is about to be robbed of his third MVP award...

What are we going to do about it ?
    All valid points. Let's not forget we have had a bunch of injuries on offense this year and still are able to do what we do.

You could add in Brady's 3 rushing TD's to Manning's 0, or add Manning's 2 fumbles to Brady's 0 for total turnovers. Pats have beaten the Broncos and the team the Broncos have lost to. If the Broncos manage to beat the Ravens then Manning should have that going for him.

A better Defense, a DPOY candidate, but hey let's keep talking about that amazing comeback story to give him the MVP. Oh right, a comeback story. Wouldn't comeback player of the year make more sense?

vCash
    I expect us to destroy jacksonville maybe score 50 points like against the Colts. The Dolphins i think we will probably score at least 30 after seeing them and Gronk might be back to get a little game action before the playoffs. also we could put up a good score against the 49ers we beat up on the texans so whats to say we cant do it to the 49ers i cant wait to see what happens but regardless we will be one of the top offenses of all time