Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Whiskey Restores Sight in Man After Being Blinded By Vodka

Denis Duthie was celebrating his parents’ 50th wedding anniversary with drinks when his world suddenly went dark. As Stuff.co.nz reported, following a four-hour drinking spree — involving vodka on ice and whiskey — at his home on New Zealand‘s North Island, the 65-year-old chef tutor discovered he had gone blind.

“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon,” Duthie, who tutors at the Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki, told the New Zealand Herald. “I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but … I’d just gone completely blind.”

(MORE: What Are You Drinking? Results from Zagat’s Debut Mixology Survey)

Duthie then decided to try to sleep off his blindness. But unlike typical alcohol-related blackouts, which end upon awakening, Duthie’s darkness persisted when he opened his eyes the next morning, so his wife took him to Taranaki Base Hospital. Physicians whisked the still-blind man away for surgery upon arrival, the Herald reported.

“I don’t remember much after I arrived in hospital,” Duthie said. “I know the doctor told my wife to say goodbye because they didn’t think I’d be coming out again.”

Doctors suspected that Duthie was suffering from formaldehyde poisoning, which occurs when methanol — a common byproduct of home-brewed alcoholic beverages — metabolizes into formaldehyde, the Herald reported. In his case, they believed that the alcohol he had ingested reacted with the five medications he was taking to manage his diabetes, stuff.co.nz reported. Treatment for this type of poisoning involves administering ethanol, which is commonly found in alcoholic beverages and prevents the formation of the harmful compound.

There was just one problem: the hospital lacked enough ethanol to serve as an effective antidote. All hope was not lost for Duthie, though, thanks to the medical staff’s decision to improvise. They sent the hospital’s registrar to purchase a $55 bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whiskey from a local liquor store, and Duthie received a whiskey drip to his stomach through a tube routed first through his nose, the Herald reported.

Five days later, Duthie awoke in the intensive care unit with his sight restored, feeling “good as gold.” Although he lost 14 kg (almost 31 pounds) in the hospital, he told the Herald that he was impressed with the creative cure.

“I thought it was pretty bloody good — I’m alive,” he said. “The hospital was absolutely awesome. Couldn’t have been better.”

Since his hospital visit four months ago, Duthie — now on 14 different kinds of diabetes medication — told stuff.co.nz that his vision is “clear as a bell” and that he can see better than he could before his brush with blindness. The experience has also opened his eyes to a healthier lifestyle, which includes walking daily and eating a modified diet. He also hasn’t had a drink since. He’s hoping to attend a reunion of his army buddies in February, although he says he will be “taking it easy.”

Duthie told stuff.co.nz that he wanted to tell his story to increase awareness, especially in diabetics, of the dangers of binging on alcohol.

“Curtail your drinking,” he warned. “Don’t do what I did or else you’ll be dead.”

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/04/...#ixzz2E8HHt2ax

Johnnie Walker typically blinds me but it's good to see he shows mercy once in a while.

vCash
    Denis Duthie was celebrating his parents’ 50th wedding anniversary
    the 65-year-old chef tutor discovered he had gone blind
    How old were his parents?

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    Maybe 85?

vCash
    Some people do have kids before getting married.....

vCash
    Damn they couldnt have bought something cheaper lol

vCash
    The cause of and solution to all of lifes problems

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL:24582917
    Some people do have kids before getting married.....
    65 years ago they also commonly married before they turned 20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    65 years ago they also commonly married before they turned 20.
    But they got married 50 years ago

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Oops haha.

vCash
    Quite possibly the best story I've ever read!

vCash
    Two reasons here why I got into medicine. Because the mechanisms and ability to improvise is awesome....and also because there are dumbasses out there that think it's smart to have someone on 14 medications for diabetes alone.

vCash
    i'm not a drunk, i'm trying to cure my illnesses
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Johnnie Walker with the save!
    <3

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA